Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2017-07-13, 02:07 PM
Regular User

Hi condor...look in the Construction performance guidelines - there is something about caulking being needed where two different materials join together.

Can you post a couple of pics of the gaps?
Old 2017-07-13, 06:36 PM
Regular User

This is what I found on Tarion

CONDITION
UNSEALED GAPS BETWEEN DISSIMILAR CLADDING MATERIALS AND
PENETRATIONS THROUGH CLADDING
Acceptable Performance/Condition
Gaps allowing water penetration into the building envelope shall be sealed in
accordance with the Building Code.

Problem is it talks about water penetration. Over there water won't penetrate. But it's still bad work. They only sealed it at the front of the house, the soffit guy said his contract did not call for sealing on the sides and rear of the house.

Here's one picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resized.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	14121  

Last edited by condor11; 2017-07-13 at 06:45 PM.
Old 2017-07-13, 09:05 PM
Regular User

Ok I see the problem. There is a chunk of masonry (or maybe wood) sticking out from the rest. The soffit sub just built right over it. Not my problem...not my job.

This is horrible workmanship. Put it on your 30 day and request it be fixed. If they wont, ask for a Tarion conciliation.

It would have taken 5 minutes to chip off that high spot. This kind of sloppy dont care workmanship really annoys me.

Last edited by good2know; 2017-07-14 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2017-07-13, 09:18 PM
Regular User

Thanks

I am going to be pushing for it. How do you get Tarion involved if such a defect is not directly spelled out in their guide.
Old 2017-07-14, 11:08 AM
Regular User

The only way to get Tarion involved is to request a conciliation. The CPGs reflects most often seen problems but it is not all inclusive. You have a general quality of workmanship clause.

In that case they would look at standard practices and what is considered 'normal good work'. A soffit trim would be typicall 1/16 +/- inch from brick and follow the wall - ie parallel.

You clearly don''t have that. In the past Ive gone and taken pictures of other houses to demonstrate the quality of workmanship found there.

If it came to it, I think you would be successful on a decision on this one defect. For the rest of the house it would be case by case.

Another tactic would be to abandon all other soffit/brick issues (if you can live with that) if they fix this one.

At the end of the day hornets will get into your attic if they want to. All of the ribs in the soffit provide an access point at each end. They can get in behind the brick through drainage holes and have a clear path to the attic.

In similar situation, my approach would be to lobby to fix the ugly bits.
Old 2017-07-14, 04:12 PM
Regular User

Thanks!
I raised it to builder again, will see what happens.
If I am to get Tarion involved I'd have to wait for my 1-year which will be in April.
Old 2017-07-14, 05:14 PM
Regular User

Was this on your pdi and/or 30 day?
Old 2017-07-14, 06:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Was this on your pdi and/or 30 day?
No.

I only mentioned it during PDI verbally and they said that's OK, gaps are good for moisture to drain!
Old 2017-07-15, 07:08 AM
Regular User

Re the first photos -

This is purely a cosmetic issue and is not any code violation. Caulking is required in many locations but not this location. WCN's answer was perfect. Avoid caulk because it could look poor and ask that trim be installed to cover the opening and slightly exposed structure.

Keep in mind that the builder is not required to install trim for you so your approach should be more of a request because it bothers you. Be way though, trim, not properly conceived and installed could look worse.

Tarion will not help you with this issue.

Re the second single photo showing soffit beside window -

This is a poor workmanship issue and will provide an open path to all kinds of vermin. For some reason the soffit was not installed properly or normally leaving an open gap between the soffit trim and the wall. This should be repaired by the builder.

Remember - not only is the builder of the home required to build it according to code rules, they must also build the home "in a workmanlike manner" / properly.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2017-07-15 at 07:29 AM.
Old 2017-07-15, 09:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post

Re the second single photo showing soffit beside window -

This is a poor workmanship issue and will provide an open path to all kinds of vermin. For some reason the soffit was not installed properly or normally leaving an open gap between the soffit trim and the wall. This should be repaired by the builder.

Remember - not only is the builder of the home required to build it according to code rules, they must also build the home "in a workmanlike manner" / properly.
This gives me reassurance that I should push for this to get it fixed.