Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-02, 11:30 PM
Regular User

Default Present setup / usage

It will be interesting to know what people are doing with the 8-10 wires that the builders provide these days. In my case I ended up with each type (Phone/CableTV/Data) on each floor. But so far, I am using only one data outlet connected to a Google Wifi mesh of 3 nodes. I have more than 30+ devices connected to the mesh and no issue. The Bell 3000 box is sitting somewhere in the basement; it provides backup wifi to only one device. May be one day I may use another data port when I stream 4K videos. Not there yet.

What's your present experience/setup/usage/...?
Old 2018-09-03, 08:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyashes View Post
It will be interesting to know what people are doing with the 8-10 wires that the builders provide these days. In my case I ended up with each type (Phone/CableTV/Data) on each floor. But so far, I am using only one data outlet connected to a Google Wifi mesh of 3 nodes. I have more than 30+ devices connected to the mesh and no issue. The Bell 3000 box is sitting somewhere in the basement; it provides backup wifi to only one device. May be one day I may use another data port when I stream 4K videos. Not there yet.

What's your present experience/setup/usage/...?
I put all my connections in one location and asked the builder to make the runs contain 2 vs one cable (in case of failure) and they agreed.
Old 2018-09-07, 02:20 PM
Regular User

WiFi is great and all, but nothing will ever beat wired. You can set up wireless meshes and all, but how many neighbors do you have that are doing the same thing? You're all sharing that spectrum.

I had a few CAT5 drops in my house, but I still wish I had more. There's one upstairs where I have the Bell Fibe TV box. I pulled a couple of drops myself to the TV mount over the fireplace. One goes directly into my smart TV, and another goes to an Apple TV that's hiding behind it.

Remember, there are a lot of devices that want to be on your wired network. Laptops, printers, smart TVs, Bell/Rogers boxes, smart boxes like Apple TV or Roku, game consoles, "smart home" devices like your Chamberlain MyQ gateway or Lutron Caseta gateway, smart audio devices like Sonos, ...