Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2007-11-19, 04:43 PM
Regular User

Default Living/Dining room

I notice that most floor plans for those houses under 3,000 sq ft from several builders, such as Century Grove, Marydel, Primont, Royal Park, etc do not have a separate living and a dinning rooms. They usually have a long living/dining room (they call Great Room). Does it really matter to have both of them? Of course, I understand only house size with certain footage can allow to have them both.

Last edited by rdx; 2007-11-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 2007-11-20, 10:55 PM
Regular User

I think the Great room is the family room.. usually there is a fire place in the family room..

Depends on the design, some have the living room and dining room separated by a hall way. Like the Manchester (41 ft lot) from CountryWide Home and Monarch's 41' ft model home, their living / dining room are separated by the hall.. but they still have a family room. I prefer a long living/dining room... as you get more space. Or you can use the space as a huge dining room if you dont need the living room.
Old 2007-11-21, 12:32 AM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdx View Post
I notice that most floor plans for those houses under 3,000 sq ft from several builders, such as Century Grove, Marydel, Primont, Royal Park, etc do not have a separate living and a dinning rooms. They usually have a long living/dining room (they call Great Room). Does it really matter to have both of them? Of course, I understand only house size with certain footage can allow to have them both.
I guess it really depends on the house layout & square footage. If the house is large enough & on a wide lot, it will most likely have a separate living & dining room.

The great room is really the family room. When we bought our first house it was 1,900 sq. ft. & it only had a separate dining room & great room which was the family room, since there was no living room...they called the family room the 'great room'. But our current house which is 4,111 sq. ft. & is on a wide 64 ft. lot has a separate living & dining room, since it's divided by the main foyer. But there are also houses which I have seen even larger than mine that might have 1 long room which is the living/dining room but in that case the house had a triple garage, so the garage took away the interior space & therefore could not have a separate living room.

It really depends how you plan to use the space, some people just use it as a larger dining room, since most time they spend in the family room anyways but some like the formal living room with a set of sofas, etc. If your house is large, then you have to divide the space somehow, but if your house is smaller, I feel you don't really need the living room, since most time the living room is not being used to it's full potential.

Hope this helps
Old 2007-11-21, 11:30 AM
Regular User

What we plan to do is just use the combined living/dining room as one big family room and the family room as the living room. We really have no need for a dinning room as me and the finance don't need to sit down and eat together all the time. The times that we do the breakfast bar or the breakfast room dining table would probably be sufficient.

I guess it's a preference as I have never really ever sat down with the family to have an elegant meal - plus the thought of caring dishes from the kitchen to the dining room and back never really appealed to me. So seperate dining room isn't too important to me. However, I see people with big families wanting this.
Old 2007-11-21, 05:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
I guess it really depends on the house layout & square footage. If the house is large enough & on a wide lot, it will most likely have a separate living & dining room.

The great room is really the family room. When we bought our first house it was 1,900 sq. ft. & it only had a separate dining room & great room which was the family room, since there was no living room...they called the family room the 'great room'. But our current house which is 4,111 sq. ft. & is on a wide 64 ft. lot has a separate living & dining room, since it's divided by the main foyer. But there are also houses which I have seen even larger than mine that might have 1 long room which is the living/dining room but in that case the house had a triple garage, so the garage took away the interior space & therefore could not have a separate living room.

It really depends how you plan to use the space, some people just use it as a larger dining room, since most time they spend in the family room anyways but some like the formal living room with a set of sofas, etc. If your house is large, then you have to divide the space somehow, but if your house is smaller, I feel you don't really need the living room, since most time the living room is not being used to it's full potential.

Hope this helps
Well written Our house is approixmately the same size as your first house. We have a separate dining room and our own family room (or could be considered a living room if you keep it formal). We also have our own separate office on the main floor. We have a big family so the separate dining room works for us. The theme nowadays is functionality. Back in the 80s/90s a living room was standard..the trend with the new houses nowadays have layouts with only Great Rooms.
Old 2007-11-21, 05:41 PM
Regular User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmasterfp View Post
Well written
Thanks

I guess by now I have figured out how builders design houses
Old 2007-11-22, 10:49 AM
Regular User

Default Living room

Quote:
Well written Our house is approixmately the same size as your first house. We have a separate dining room and our own family room (or could be considered a living room if you keep it formal). We also have our own separate office on the main floor. We have a big family so the separate dining room works for us. The theme nowadays is functionality. Back in the 80s/90s a living room was standard..the trend with the new houses nowadays have layouts with only Great Rooms.
If the house floor plan is 4000-5000 sq ft, we can of course have as many kinds of rooms as we want, den, entertainment room, living room, dining room, etc on the main floor. That's why I mentioned on the original post that for new houses under 3000 sq ft.

And unfortunately, in Upper Thornhill Estates, we hardly find a new house floor plan over 4000 sq ft. If there is any, it would cost over $1 million !!!

Last edited by rdx; 2007-11-22 at 12:29 PM.
Old 2007-11-22, 12:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
If the house floor plan is 4000-5000 sq ft, we can of course have as many kinds of rooms as we want, den, entertainment room, living room, dining room, etc on the main floor. That's why I mentioned on the original post that for new houses under 3000 sq ft.

And unfortunately, in Upper Thornhill Estates, we hardly find new house floor plan over 4000 sq ft. If there is any, it would over 1 millions !!!
That's what attracted us to our house layout. Its only about 1900 sqft but it has features/rooms that would be found in larger homes. The separate rooms are not huge, but they are fairly sized. It helps that we have a detached garage so it doesnt take up interior space. So what we have on our main floor is an Office, Laundry Room, Great Room and a separate dining room (not to mention the kitchen and eating area) We like the layout, it is functional.
Old 2007-11-22, 12:28 PM
Regular User

Default Separate Garage

Quote:
That's what attracted us to our house layout. Its only about 1900 sqft but it has features/rooms that would be found in larger homes. The separate rooms are not huge, but they are fairly sized. It helps that we have a detached garage so it doesnt take up interior space. So what we have on our main floor is an Office, Laundry Room, Great Room and a separate dining room (not to mention the kitchen and eating area) We like the layout, it is functional.
I see. Houses with separate garage is another story. Just my garage takes 400 sq ft of my house. That would be good enough for 2-3 decent size rooms
Old 2007-11-22, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I see. Houses with separate garage is another story. Just my garage takes 400 sq ft of my house. That would be good enough for 2-3 decent size rooms
I am not sure how that works with attached garages (or maybe i never sat down to do the math but how does it affect the square footage of a house? For example, if the layout states that your house is 2200 Sqft and the garage is attached ..does that squre footage take into consideration the interior space the garage takes up? I wouldnt think so cuz obviously it is not livable space. Any thoughts?