Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-01-09, 06:48 PM
Regular User

Wow . . . 2 new neighbours in one day; good to see people catching onto the site.

Nah, we didn't buy on the court; we are on Fieldfair; apparently they didn't get to pour our foundation before the snow hit and won't be pouring until the spring which is fine with us; but the lot next to us is well underway. I saw a lot of foundations being heated as I went by a couple of weeks back.

The Dover is a sweet set up; I love the 2 sided fireplace between the family room and the nook but a little too big for only 2 of us :p It's going to look sweet; can't wait to see it.

Apparently the two model homes for the area are going to be the Sussex and Devon (looking forward to seeing our model before we move in); which is nice; gives a little variety.

The Marquis is pretty popular Skip; definitely like all the open room, it's going to look grand; gonna be a lot of Barclays and Marquis on the court.

In terms of the energy star package; Prince pretty much hit it on the nail; roughly 1800 for the insulation and 2000 for the HRV. We went with the package as we figure the energy savings will be nice over the long term; plus we like having the air exchanger. We had the same thinking as you Orleans as there would be an independent inspector for the air leaks; but no matter how you try to think it through, it is a label. If the HRV isn't a big thing for you; insulation would be enough.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:59 AM
Falling-Angel

Meth, I posted some new pictures this morning if you want to take a look.
Old 2008-01-10, 09:10 AM
Regular User

Sweet, I'll go take a gander
Old 2008-01-10, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Congrats on the purchase Skip. The Marquis is another beauty.

I think we're going to get the Energy Star package. It's a nice selling feature and we'll save little bits of money on an everyday basis as well.

I really like the front porch on the Devon Meth. Seems like it would be a great place to have a few beers with your new neighbors!
Old 2008-01-10, 10:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
I really like the front porch on the Devon Meth. Seems like it would be a great place to have a few beers with your new neighbors!
Ah yes . . . I knew this decision would come back to haunt us; the elevation we went with does not have the large porch unfortunately . . . but you can definitely count on the cold ones being ready for ya

It's shaping up to be a nice area; I think the large park is going in near by (possibly a street behind us if I remember correctly).
Old 2008-01-14, 10:22 PM
Regular User

Hey .... I came across this site and was happy to see some Cardel buyers.

We are probably going to be putting down a deposit this week in Notting Hill South with Cardel, the Dover model also. It was between Dover or Cavendish. But we really like the Dover layout (we will add the 5th bedroom) I will be heading over tomorrow or calling them to get some more information on the elevations. It's hard to tell what the elevations look like. I would like stone & brick but we will see. We are looking at Fieldfair Way also .... I guess if we go ahead with Cardel we have met some future neighbours.

Does anyone have any more information on the elevations????

Old 2008-01-14, 10:39 PM
Regular User

Hello Swerve and welcome to the site.

Here is a link to a picture of a Dover in Prince of Wales. It is the brick and stone elevation. Also a great way to see some pics of the inside.

http://www.dreamproperties.com/homes...PropertyID=365

If you want to see the stucco and stone elevation (it's the one on the floor plan picture at Cardel) then I would suggest taking a drive to the Prince of Wales development. There are many of them to see. That's what helped us decide on the stucco and stone elevation.

The 3rd choice is the brick and siding elevation. I haven't seen any so I can't comment on that one.

If you go with the Dover then you would be the 3rd one in the area. It's a great layout. We are really pleased with our decision.

This forum is a great way to learn about your future neighbors.

If you have any other questions about the process just say so. We are just finishing up our colour selections now so everything is still fresh in our minds.
Old 2008-01-15, 08:33 AM
Regular User

WOW!!!!! Thanks so much for posting that link! It's great to be able to see what it will look like. We are going to defiantly take a drive out to Prince of Wales.

The builder should take pictures of finished houses so you have a better idea, especially if they don't have models.

Are you finding the upgrades a reasonable price? We would like to do granite and hardwood everywhere (except front entrance, mudroom and kitchen) and upgrade the carpet for the upstairs & kitchen upgrades ... not too sure yet what else?. We are trying to ball park everything. We are doing about $25,000 in structural changes (5th bedroom, jack & Jill bathroom and open staircase). It will break my heart to get rid of the open to above because it's so nice and grand looking.

Now we have to pick our lot and choose an elevation.
Old 2008-01-15, 08:35 AM
Regular User

Hiya Swerve,

Welcome to the boards, it's always nice to meet a possible future neighbour. Cardel is a custom builder and definitely welcomes ideas so it wouldn't hurt to ask for a brick/stone elevation if that was something that you really wanted. They have been great and will work with you in creating a vision for your home. All the best with your decision

Those are awesome pics Orleans, good find!
Old 2008-01-15, 08:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
Are you finding the upgrades a reasonable price? We would like to do granite and hardwood everywhere (except front entrance, mudroom and kitchen) and upgrade the carpet for the upstairs & kitchen upgrades ... not too sure yet what else?. We are trying to ball park everything. We are doing about $25,000 in structural changes (5th bedroom, jack & Jill bathroom and open staircase). It will break my heart to get rid of the open to above because it's so nice and grand looking.

All in all, I would have to say that the majority of upgrades have been reasonably priced; of course it is a business and they have to take care of the bottom line, but from what I've seen on the forums and from what I've been hearing from friends that have bought with other builders, they are on par and better on some items (but keep in mind you are paying a higher base price).