Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Richmond Hill

Richmond Hill Century Grove, Democrat Homes, Acorn Homes, Fieldgate, Heathwood Homes, Vogue Development, Brookfield, Sky Homes, Genesis Homes, Fairgate, Fernbrook, Fieldgate, Tribute, Lebovic, Maple Lane, Great West, Mirrow Homes, Queensgate, Primont, Saberwood, Edenbrook, Luvian, Kaitlin, Pemberton, Empire Homes, H&R, Wyecliffe, The Woodlands and more!

Old 2009-09-29, 03:42 AM

Default New purchaser of Forest Hill Homes-Jefferson Forest

Hi just wanted to introduce myself and see who else has purchased in Jefferson Forest. We are very excited to see they have started digging to commence the pipe work in the area.

Just wondering if anyone knows of the upgrades and approx. prices that Forest Hill Homes offers. Wanted to make a list and HOPE it doesn't break the bank!
Old 2009-09-30, 12:15 PM
Regular User

40+ "views" and no offers of congrats (geez, tough crowd! LOL!).
From 1 newbie to another, let me be the first to congratulate you!

I(we) didn't buy from ForestHill Homes, but like most builders, I'm sure that most upgrades won't be cheap.

Good Luck, and again congrats!
Old 2009-09-30, 03:28 PM
Regular User

We also bought a new home in jefferson Forest (Madison homes) and are
looking forward to moving into the area. Expect to payout a lot of money on upgrades. I just got some quotes from Madison that had my head spinning.

Good luck.
Old 2009-09-30, 04:38 PM
Regular User

congratulations on the purchase. It's good to see the Richmond Hill thread growing. When I first started reading the threads, this was very thin, and everyone was posting on the Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan thread. Please continue to share the information.
Old 2009-10-01, 09:26 AM

Thanks guys. I know ajay, i'm anxiously awaiting the upgrade meeting, but looks like we have to do alot of things after we move in. I wanted to do granite and other things with the builder but in most cases it is cheaper to get someone to come in after to do it.
Ajay, what street is your Madison home and when is your closing date?
I cannot wait to move in. I LOVE the area.
Thanks and talk soon!
Old 2009-10-01, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Hi, congrats, its a very nice area, do they only build detached houses in Jefferson forest?
Old 2009-10-01, 04:24 PM
Regular User

Congratulations !!! newhouse8. I didn't post earlier in this thread because you were looking for Forest Hill home owners. I bought with Arista at Jefferson Forest. I am not sure if they start digging on Shadow falls drive yet. I noticed that Royal Pine homes will be building the homes along the Jefferson Forest drive that will link to 19th avenue.

Old 2009-10-04, 01:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhouse8 View Post
Thanks guys. I know ajay, i'm anxiously awaiting the upgrade meeting, but looks like we have to do alot of things after we move in. I wanted to do granite and other things with the builder but in most cases it is cheaper to get someone to come in after to do it.
Ajay, what street is your Madison home and when is your closing date?
I cannot wait to move in. I LOVE the area.
Thanks and talk soon!
My home is on Bush Ridges Avenue and closing is December 2010.
Like I said i already got some structural quotes from Madison and judging by the prices i got, we may end up doing a lot of things ourselves after we close. The good thing is I think we got those homes at a good time and at a good price. The next phases will be at least $30-40,000 more.
Old 2009-10-05, 08:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhouse8 View Post
Hi just wanted to introduce myself and see who else has purchased in Jefferson Forest. We are very excited to see they have started digging to commence the pipe work in the area.

Just wondering if anyone knows of the upgrades and approx. prices that Forest Hill Homes offers. Wanted to make a list and HOPE it doesn't break the bank!
Builders are making less and less money (smaller margins) on the lot/dwelling and more and more on the upgrades. They inflate 100-400% on nearly each item from pot lights & kitchen cabinets to tiles & granite.
Having said that, some of the dwelling & layout upgrades become a better investment and wiser choice to place your money. Items such as taller ceilings, doorways, smooth ceilings and optional closet space are the types of things you may not be able to do later and could cost more down the road. Our builder for instance only wanted $900 per floor for smooth ceilings (vs. stiple). Considering the cost and mess of doing it later, this is a bargain.

Point is, be wise in your upgrade choices. Potlights, bathroom fixtures and even granite can all be done later at a fraction of the cost - most sales-reps will admit this and make suggestions. More permanent items as those mentioned above, and even bathroom or kitchen tiling should be upgraded and done properly the first time. Hardwood is also an iffy item which I personally would upgrade (if needed) w/ the builder considering waste of other materials if re-doing the floors at a later time, and the savings are often a wash in cost.
A final suggestion is kitchen cabinet upgrades. The builder seems to charge an exorbitant amount for upgraded cabinetry and corner doors/glass and so on... but again, are you going to rip out your cabinets a year from now simply to have a new colour and add a corner 45degree door? Better to do it now. The builder has us trapped on a few items such as this...

Good luck & Enjoy.
Old 2009-10-05, 01:36 PM
Regular User

I agree with MooF. If my builder charges $900.00 per floor for smooth ceilings, I may consider it too.....

Also, you may want to look into 100 AMP vs. 200 AMP electrical service.

Aspen Ridge uses 100 AMP service as standard (even though the builder themselves recommend 200 AMP for houses larger than 2400sq ft.!).
Obtaining a permit, dis-connenting and then re-connecting the service in-order to install a new panel "after moving in" may be too pricey for some (for me).
Having it changed as an upgrade via the builder may be more cost effective in that case.

Last edited by newhillian; 2009-10-05 at 01:39 PM.