Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2009-11-24, 09:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffask View Post
Ya Firebreak boards, I thought they should be uused on eternal walls?
They are not needed, unless you are building a wall seperating independant living areas. I usually put them just make the wall stronger and to hold the studs from warping before the drywall goes up.
Old 2009-11-24, 10:26 PM
Regular User

To be honest that;s the only reason why I use them. I find the boards warp soo quickly in the basement.
Old 2009-11-29, 08:47 PM
Regular User

Default Update

Well I did not get all the framing done this weekend. Just some ceiling and a couple small walls left to do. I spent most of yesterday cursing our builder, they really f%$#ed up the HVAC and plumbing. They actually set two of our ducts up so badly they had come apart from the take offs, they miss measured and instead of fixing it, they tried to connect everything with tape (but this was all hidden above the main ducts). And the plumbing had to be moved to run through the joists to avoid dropping the ceiling.

One more day and I should be done the framing. Can't wait to use up the insulation, it sure takes up allot of space.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7863.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	5217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7864.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	5218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7865.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	5219  
Old 2009-11-30, 08:55 AM
Regular User

Sorry for asking...

It's probably been asked a million times but why did you have remove the original builder's insulation before framing? Cant you frame over it? If the builder's insulation is so crappy then what the point of them put it in (I do understand that they are required by code.)?

We are getting the EnergyStar upgrade with upgraded basement insulation so I would hate having paid for extra material that I will just put back in the dumpster. I am either missing a big piece or I just dont get it! Thanks, G.
Old 2009-11-30, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_gene View Post
Sorry for asking...

It's probably been asked a million times but why did you have remove the original builder's insulation before framing? Cant you frame over it? If the builder's insulation is so crappy then what the point of them put it in (I do understand that they are required by code.)?

We are getting the EnergyStar upgrade with upgraded basement insulation so I would hate having paid for extra material that I will just put back in the dumpster. I am either missing a big piece or I just dont get it! Thanks, G.
They key is to keep warm air from the walls, building the walls against the concrete, insulating and then closing with a vapor barrier is the best method next to spray foam (foam is the best, but expensive). If you build walls in front of the builder insulation there are more chances of warm air getting to the concrete, you also need to keep the walls from compressing the insulation as this will decrease the R value.

Many contractors will leave the insulation up, simply because it is the easier route, but not the best. IMO. I found a site where Mike Holmes also recommends doing it the way I did.

And the last benefit is that I have maximized the space.
Old 2009-11-30, 10:28 AM
Regular User

Thanks Burlington!

We finished our existing basement in 2008 doing tonnes of research on basement insulation so this is why the cost of the upgrade from the builder made sense knowing what it actually cost to DIY (we did 2inch pink foam, framed walls then Roxul batt, vapor barrier for total R24, toasty!). I can see us keeping the builder's insulation and adding batt in the wall cavity before drywall, your point makes lots of sense! Also very familiar with M.Holmes opinion on this topic!!!
Old 2009-11-30, 11:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_gene View Post
Thanks Burlington!

We finished our existing basement in 2008 doing tonnes of research on basement insulation so this is why the cost of the upgrade from the builder made sense knowing what it actually cost to DIY (we did 2inch pink foam, framed walls then Roxul batt, vapor barrier for total R24, toasty!). I can see us keeping the builder's insulation and adding batt in the wall cavity before drywall, your point makes lots of sense! Also very familiar with M.Holmes opinion on this topic!!!
If you do add insulation in the walls, do not put a vapor barrier as you already have one. You don't want a double barrier as it will trap moisture.
Old 2009-11-30, 03:41 PM
Regular User

Well I just picked up my new speakers for the Home Theatre. I purchased a set of Monitor Audio's

I went with RS6's for the mains, RS-LCR for the centre and 4 BRFX's for the surrounds.

I listened to a lot of speakers and nothing came close in their price range. They can be had for almost 40% off right now since the new models just came out and they are liquidating the older stuff.

http://www.monitoraudio.ca/

If anyone needs any Audio equipment send me a PM and will give you his name and number, my guy will do cash deals on almost anything, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Monitor etc. I saved a bundle. He owns a store so it is legit.

I'm going try an finish the framing tomorrow and get it inspected next week. Drywall will be going up on Jan 8-11.

I will post some more pics this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BRFX.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	5251   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS6.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	5252   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS-LCR.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	5253  

Last edited by burlington1971; 2009-12-11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 2009-12-22, 11:12 PM
Regular User

Default :)

Well not much has happened the last few weeks, just too busy.

The tapers are coming on the 18th of January, so I have a bit of work cut out for me.

The framing around the ducts did not turn out exactly how I wanted. But it will do, it is straight and level so once the drywall goes up it will be forgotten. I will need to put in small blocks of wood on the corners so the drywall has anchor points.

Plus I still need to put bridging in everywhere as per the building code.

We picked out our flooring, bruce laminate in the main area and berber on the stairs and in the theatre. Another $2,500.

I have already cracked 10k, so I guess we will get the max back for the tax credit.

Back to work on the 29th!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	5308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	5309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	5310  
Old 2009-12-23, 01:55 PM
Regular User

Things look like they are moving very nicely. What do you mean by bridging?