Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-07-01, 12:58 PM
Regular User

Question Desperately Need Help Figuring-out Lighting

So we're about to sign off on all of our Design Centre selections, but we're still not 100% sure about our lighting layout.

We love the choice of potlights in the Great Room, but we cannot figure out what to do for lighting above the island/raised-bar.

Here is a photo showing the lighting in the Great Room (click to enlarge)

So the problem now, is the damn bulkhead that runs between the Great Room and the Kitchen. It runs directly above the raised area of the island, and so if we wanted lights directly above the bar, we would need to stick them in the bulkhead. That seems really odd to us, and we're not sure it would look good with the potlights in the Great Room directly next to it.

Our idea is to centre the potlights over the working area of the island, and if we want to, we could always aim them at the raised bar (the potlights are the type that can be manipulated). We considered putting pendant lights in the bulkhead, but we aren't sure we like that look at all. We're not really pendant light people.

Here is a 3D view of the kitchen, an elevation showing the position of the bulkhead that causes the dilemma, and a floor plan in case that is helpful.

We would LOVE any suggestions! Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks
Old 2009-07-01, 01:19 PM
Regular User

What Software did you use to create the layout. Looks really nice.

Isn't there enough light in front and at the back of the Island with the Pot Lights you have placed on either side of the bulkhead. And with the light Strip near the sink you can point one of the light towards Island too.I would just leave it as it is if I was in your position.

Last edited by addtemp; 2009-07-01 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2009-07-01, 01:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
What Software did you use to create the layout. Looks really nice.

Isn't there enough light in front and at the back of the Island with the Pot Lights you have placed on either side of the bulkhead. And with the light Strip near the sink you can point one of the light towards Island too.I would just leave it as it is if I was in your position.
Thanks! The software is Chief Architect. Interesting; you raise a good point about the amount of light. I guess we've just been conditioned to think you need to have some sort of light targeted over the raised bar... maybe this isn't an issue at all?
Old 2009-07-01, 03:51 PM
Regular User

I have similar layout as your Kitchen.

Will you be getting the pot lights from the builder or installing it after closing.

Did you ask the builder if they can move the Bulkhead.

Old 2009-07-01, 04:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post

When I first viewed the picutres, I thought the same thing. I would just leave it the way you have it with the lights in front and back of the Island. Looks really nice.
Old 2009-07-01, 07:56 PM
Regular User

I would def. do 2 or 3 (depending on style & size) pendant lights in the actual bulkhead if possible.
Pot lights look fine but visually pendant lights will look better IMO & separate the two spaces. And have a separate switch installed for the pendant lights.

Here are some examples

Old 2009-07-02, 10:05 AM
Regular User

I agree with patrob. That area should rightfully have pendant lighting, not potlights. It will help break up the space a bit (so it doesnt feel like a gymnasium), and it will also avoid the runway appearance of having too many potlights.

Potlights may not be possible in that bulkhead anyway. I remember the Bristol had a structural beam in that bulkhead, seperating the great room from the kitchen/dinette.

Old 2009-07-02, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
I would def. do 2 or 3 (depending on style & size) pendant lights in the actual bulkhead if possible.
Pot lights look fine but visually pendant lights will look better IMO & separate the two spaces. And have a separate switch installed for the pendant lights.
[...]
I especially like the first picture, but if we did go for pendant lights, that brings up another issue... what do we do for the rest of the lights in the kitchen?

Do we eliminate the pot lights over the main work area of the island and just go with the main track light? And if so, what do we do over the sink in that case? The builder standard is a outlet and fixture over the sink but we had tentatively decided to turn it into a pot light in order to not have too many different types of lights in the kitchen. Do we keep it as a pot and leave some pots over the island anyway?

I guess what I'm asking is what would you do as the "whole package" to the kitchen if you were in our place?
Old 2009-07-02, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I agree with patrob. That area should rightfully have pendant lighting, not potlights. It will help break up the space a bit (so it doesnt feel like a gymnasium), and it will also avoid the runway appearance of having too many potlights.

Potlights may not be possible in that bulkhead anyway. I remember the Bristol had a structural beam in that bulkhead, seperating the great room from the kitchen/dinette.
No, I think you're right; pot lights probably can't go in the bulkhead as it DOES house an i-beam.

We were actually considering pendants for the bar and then ONLY pot lights in the rest of the kitchen (adding a couple more) but I have a feeling that there's no way it would be bright enough with only pot lights.
Old 2009-07-02, 11:09 AM
Regular User

If you put 2 pendant lights over the island then had an L shape of pot lights following the floor area of your kitchen that would provide tones of lighting especially if you added valance lighting under the cabinets as well. I've seen this lighting set up in a lot of homes and it really lights up the space and separates it form the rest of the areas.

Last edited by Youngcl; 2009-07-02 at 11:13 AM.