Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-12-22, 01:54 AM
Regular User

Sarcol, now I am doubting what I was told! I don't remember who exactly told me that the cabs in the Chaperal Huntington are Traditional White but I do remember beign told exactly that becuase then I agonized over whether or not I should change my mind and go with white instead of vanilla. I had always sworn I would never have white cabs...but in the end, I did go with the pure white!
You should double check-and if what you were told is right....I might be a little ticked off! It's bad enough that all the tile selections I made for the house were discontinued and I have to re-select...now with this cab color issue...geez, I'm going to end up with a $300,000 house that isn't to my liking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcol27 View Post
Straycat: Are they really traditional white? Awhile back they told me traditional vanilla and I've been basing by selection on that all along! Who told you they were traditional white anyway?

You have great taste too!
So, are you going with the traditional white then instead?

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2009-12-22, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
Sarcol, now I am doubting what I was told! I don't remember who exactly told me that the cabs in the Chaperal Huntington are Traditional White but I do remember beign told exactly that becuase then I agonized over whether or not I should change my mind and go with white instead of vanilla. I had always sworn I would never have white cabs...but in the end, I did go with the pure white!
You should double check-and if what you were told is right....I might be a little ticked off! It's bad enough that all the tile selections I made for the house were discontinued and I have to re-select...now with this cab color issue...geez, I'm going to end up with a $300,000 house that isn't to my liking!
I too did not think I would want stark white until I saw my kitchen in person in the showroom with a mixture of white and brown cabinets, and I totally loved it. It did not look "clinical" at all. You can warm it up with the backsplash, paint or wallpaper, accessories etc. And I did not want all brown because I was afraid that it might get dated eventually and I would hate the heavy look of all dark brown over time. So I like the mix. I don't think you have anything to worry about with your white cabs!
Old 2009-12-22, 10:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon_Nile View Post
This is absolutely not an issue. The screws that attach the plug into the box can be used to offset for the depth of the tiles. Unless your tiles are more than 2 inches thick, or if the electrician attached the box to the back of the stud instead of the front, there is no problem with doing the backsplash later. I was worried about this as well, and I felt like an idiot when i saw how easy it was to deal with it
Thank you Nixon! - Now I need to step-up my after-close backsplash options and costs investigation again!
Old 2009-12-22, 10:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD View Post
I too did not think I would want stark white until I saw my kitchen in person in the showroom with a mixture of white and brown cabinets, and I totally loved it. It did not look "clinical" at all. You can warm it up with the backsplash, paint or wallpaper, accessories etc. And I did not want all brown because I was afraid that it might get dated eventually and I would hate the heavy look of all dark brown over time. So I like the mix. I don't think you have anything to worry about with your white cabs!
PJD! Have you moved in yet? Do you have pictures? Sounds like we have the same type of style
Old 2009-12-22, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
PJD! Have you moved in yet? Do you have pictures? Sounds like we have the same type of style
No sweet pea! I don't close till May 14, 2010. I am looking forward to it.

Cool, that we have to same taste. We can exchange ideas!

This is the colour combo I am doing, upper cabs in white and lower cabs, island + pantry in dark brown. I find that the uppers being white lighten things up.

http://www.selba.ca/content/getcontent.asp?M=30

Once you click on this link, click on the video from the Interior Design Show and play it. They will go back and forth in the video between a traditional and a contemporary kitchen. I am doing the contemporary one, though I will need to adjust it to the shape of my kitchen of course, and decide where I want glass etc. But I will do things like the inside of the cabs being dark where there is glass etc.

When I saw this kitchen in person at Selba's showroom, it was love at 1st sight!

That's the best I can show you so far. I won't be able to post pics of my own being done for several months since I am doing it after closing. But immediately after closing.

When do you close Cosmogirl?
Old 2009-12-22, 11:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
No sweet pea! I don't close till May 14, 2010. I am looking forward to it.

When do you close Cosmogirl?
WHOA!

That's gorgeous! I wish I was close enough to T.O. to be able to make it to their amazing design/trade shows...

I really like what you have chosen - I don't think our (ahem... my... ) style can be put into terms like contemporary or traditional. I want a bit of both. And I have to make up my mind because my design appt is Jan 14th! I know what I want, but I don't know how to describe it. That will be on my mind over the holidays!

We close - prepare yourself - Feb 2011! We bought in June 08 to close in Oct 09, delayed till June 10, and now Feb 2011. So who knows, really...

We've had the option to release, but we really love the house, location and price being offered. We are in a good situation, as we own our current house, so we're not losing any money in a rental.

Are you having Selba doing your kitchen for you?
Old 2009-12-22, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
WHOA!

That's gorgeous! I wish I was close enough to T.O. to be able to make it to their amazing design/trade shows...

I really like what you have chosen - I don't think our (ahem... my... ) style can be put into terms like contemporary or traditional. I want a bit of both. And I have to make up my mind because my design appt is Jan 14th! I know what I want, but I don't know how to describe it. That will be on my mind over the holidays!

We close - prepare yourself - Feb 2011! We bought in June 08 to close in Oct 09, delayed till June 10, and now Feb 2011. So who knows, really...

We've had the option to release, but we really love the house, location and price being offered. We are in a good situation, as we own our current house, so we're not losing any money in a rental.

Are you having Selba doing your kitchen for you?
Thank you! I really love it too! It will be my pride and joy!

Yes, Selba is designing and installing my kitchen after closing. I already have a sketch done but we need to finalize it, probably in Jan.

It's interesting that you mention doing a bit of both styles because I chose to do the 5" Solid Sawn Hand Scraped Oak Hardwood floors in my house. I would originally have never thought of mixing the two until I kept seeing it in showrooms and magazines and realized that it went really well together. I think it will look really rich!

It's funny because I love decorating, but I love the finish product even more and I lack a little patience. Sometimes I talk to myself about how I will have to be patient and do a little bit at a time. lol!

If you click on the link again for Selba's website and click on the previously featured displays, it shows a lot of other kitchens they've also done and it may give you some ideas. The other thing to do is to go for a drive and visit several model homes. That helps too. And of course magazines.

What is it that you imagine for your kitchen? What do you see? I know you said you can't describe it, and I am trying to get it out of you! Call it kitchen therapy! lol!

Wow! Did you buy from Mattamy? I heard about the land issues and the constant delays. But I think it's ok now right? They've got the ok to go ahead, didn't they? Hopefully, Feb. 11 is it!
Old 2009-12-22, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Straycat: I just spoke to K at the design centre and she confirmed that it is "vanilla". I do find the model home pictures to look very white, so I'm still a doubter since you received different info. K says the sheet lists it has having vanilla on maple. I'm going to head out there later today with both samples and see for myself. I'll keep you posted.

PJD: Those "Selba" kitchens are amazing. Thanks for the link.
Old 2009-12-22, 12:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcol27 View Post
Straycat: I just spoke to K at the design centre and she confirmed that it is "vanilla". I do find the model home pictures to look very white, so I'm still a doubter since you received different info. K says the sheet lists it has having vanilla on maple. I'm going to head out there later today with both samples and see for myself. I'll keep you posted.

PJD: Those "Selba" kitchens are amazing. Thanks for the link.
You're welcome Sarcol27!

It's interesting the debate between vanilla and white because in the video I posted they refer to my cabinets as being cream I believe, but in person they look white. If they have cream, it is really just a touch, because I can't even see it!
Old 2009-12-22, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
What is it that you imagine for your kitchen? What do you see? I know you said you can't describe it, and I am trying to get it out of you! Call it kitchen therapy! lol!

Wow! Did you buy from Mattamy? I heard about the land issues and the constant delays. But I think it's ok now right? They've got the ok to go ahead, didn't they? Hopefully, Feb. 11 is it!
**Sorry to thread jack!**

Yes, we bought from Mattamy. We have our fingers crossed for the beginning of 2011, and there is still a process or a few they have to go through... We are prepared and expecting another delay.

Here are a few kitchens which I like a lot:

I like the overall look of this one (minus those pendant lamps over the island)...

I love the look and chandelier over this one, but the cabinets are too yellow-y -

This one is for the knobs ONLY -

So basically, I want vanilla cabinets, dark island, dark hardwood (going to select that today), not too much frou-frou, but not super sharp lines... somewhere in the middle. Chimney hood fan in stainless steel (no glass), glass subway tile backsplash (I don't know what colour) or some type of mosaic. The paint will be Benjamin Moore's Ranchwood or Farrow & Ball's Mouse's Back.
See - I have no idea how to describe it.

Oh, and just for fun - this is the chandelier I want for the dining room. The paint will be Benjamin Moore's Piedmont Grey...

I just want a very warm feel - somewhere you'd love to hang out in.
Help!