Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2010-09-16, 01:48 PM
Regular User

Default opinion on WALK-UP basement needed please

Hi,

We are purchasing a new home and are considering optioning in a WALK-UP basement (not walk-out). Does anyone have any experience/opinion about this?

Also, what would the approximate cost be to do something like this?

(we are new to the new homes market and have no experience...)

Thanks in advance
Old 2010-09-16, 02:34 PM
Regular User

what exactly is a walk-up basement?
Old 2010-09-16, 02:47 PM
Regular User

I've designed walk-out basements, but when I think walk-up basements, all I can think of is a set of steps inside the home. We normally call these "stairs".

What is this newfangled "walk-up basement"?
Old 2010-09-16, 02:51 PM
Regular User

I believe OP is asking about an exterior door (at basement level) with concrete poured steps going up to the ground level on the outside of the house?

If so, my neighbour put this in and I understand that they're very expensive (5 digits) to put in after a house is built. I'm no expert though...

Last edited by CGUPR; 2010-10-06 at 03:07 PM. Reason: edit - i can't count digits!
Old 2010-09-16, 02:55 PM
Regular User

if this is what the OP means, then it will cost between 10-15k to be done while the house is being built. after the fact, i don't know. i doubt its six digits. that would mean at least 100k. no way. to do it after the house is built means they have to dig outside the house, cut out a door in the foundation and make some steps, etc. that can't cost 100k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGUPR View Post
I believe OP is asking about an exterior door (at basement level) with concrete poured steps going up to the ground level on the outside of the house?

If so, my neighbour put this in and I understand that they're very expensive (6 digits) to put in after a house is built. I'm no expert though...
Old 2010-09-16, 03:13 PM
Regular User

I had it installed in my previous house after the fact and in my new house by the builder:

It cost me 15k in my previous house when I had it done after.

4k with the builder while the house was being built.
Old 2010-09-16, 03:21 PM
Regular User

for 4k, i'd get it for sure.
Old 2010-09-16, 03:22 PM
Regular User

IMO, I would do it with the buider. I considered this option as well. It was 10k with the builder. Probably my biggest regret that I didn't do it. I'm still pissed about it...
Old 2010-09-16, 03:25 PM
Regular User

My previous home had a walk up from the basement in the garage. I LOVED it!!! I miss the fact that I do not have that now. It was great if I was working in the garage and needed to run down to the basement to grab some tools. Also was great after shopping to bring cases of pop that were kept in the cold cellar.

I see a lot of walk up basements into the backyard in my area. Still handy but not as nice as in the garage imo.
Old 2010-09-16, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
what exactly is a walk-up basement?

It is a set of stairs leading from the basement out into the backyard. We couldn't get a walk-out basement so this was the only option. It would be convenient if you were entertaining so people don't have to walk through the main part of the house to get to and from the basement/backyard.