Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2013-09-23, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Schedule X ... 2) E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1106 View Post
Not sure if other people are aware of this, but, this was my first home purchase and was surprised to find that there was a hidden contract within the purchase agreement. North Star signed a contract with National Home Services for a water rental heater and every home buyer is locked into the contract for 15 years with a monthly fee which significantly exceeds the market value of similar services provided by other companies. In summary, you are paying roughly $7,000 for a $450 water heater. I have heard this is common practice for home builders, however North Star should have brought this to the attention of home buyers and made them privy to the contract.

Were others aware of this, or is it just me?
Old 2013-09-23, 05:37 PM

Yes, North Star quoted Schedule X as well. Spoke to my attorney and it was mentioned that whether or that was stated in schedule X they should have at least provided the contract to be signed and agreed upon.

National Home Service even stated that the contract was supposed to be provided to all home owners within the Welcoming Package, which it was not.

This was just a surprise to me as it was my first home purchase. Seems very unethical as well since North Star is supposed to be paying for the cost of installation. But it sounds like they avoid any installation costs by unknowingly signing up home owners for this contract, which I find to be unreasonable and would also be considered an unsolicited contract, whether or not this is industry practice.

EDIT: Just read that portion of the contract. It does state that the purchase is responsible for cost of installation etc. It does state however that he purchase agrees to execute a contract agreement. That is where I get confused, because it was never presented and I never signed any agreement. Schedule X just states that I agree to execute a contract in the future. Don't want to make a big deal about this, but want to understand if I did something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvo View Post
Schedule X ... 2) E

Last edited by rider1106; 2013-09-23 at 08:21 PM.
Old 2013-09-25, 10:01 AM
Regular User

I think they protect themselves this way. They can't close the house / pass final inspection without a water heater. Lets say I wanted to install my own water heater or tankless etc.. The assumption is that I would approach the builder and make sure this goes in at my cost prior to closing. If they don't get owner intervention they assume the rental is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1106 View Post
Yes, North Star quoted Schedule X as well. Spoke to my attorney and it was mentioned that whether or that was stated in schedule X they should have at least provided the contract to be signed and agreed upon.

National Home Service even stated that the contract was supposed to be provided to all home owners within the Welcoming Package, which it was not.

This was just a surprise to me as it was my first home purchase. Seems very unethical as well since North Star is supposed to be paying for the cost of installation. But it sounds like they avoid any installation costs by unknowingly signing up home owners for this contract, which I find to be unreasonable and would also be considered an unsolicited contract, whether or not this is industry practice.

EDIT: Just read that portion of the contract. It does state that the purchase is responsible for cost of installation etc. It does state however that he purchase agrees to execute a contract agreement. That is where I get confused, because it was never presented and I never signed any agreement. Schedule X just states that I agree to execute a contract in the future. Don't want to make a big deal about this, but want to understand if I did something wrong.
Old 2013-10-07, 12:12 PM

Hey everyone!

My husband and I are moving to Milton next month....Yipee!

Just wanted to know if anyone in Phase 3 is closing in the next few weeks.... please keep us updated on closing and your final house inspection please.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you all!
Old 2013-10-08, 10:39 AM
Regular User

Welcome!!

The Semi's are looking great and coming along quickly... they're working quite late these days to get them complete

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Os&Mon View Post
Hey everyone!

My husband and I are moving to Milton next month....Yipee!

Just wanted to know if anyone in Phase 3 is closing in the next few weeks.... please keep us updated on closing and your final house inspection please.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you all!
Old 2013-10-22, 09:55 AM
Regular User

Hi All,

I noticed some fence posts go up, and then the project seemed to have died out!

Does anyone know if that is a builder initiative, and if so to what extent will these fences be built?

KVO
Old 2013-10-28, 09:09 PM
Regular User

Hey guys
We're wondering how many trick or treaters to expect?! Roughly - just trying to not buy excess candy to have in the house
Looking forward to seeing everyone's costumes

Old 2013-10-31, 12:48 PM

Hello everyone,

Anyone else doing their house inspections next week? Or has anyone closed yet? Keep us posted.... our final house inspection is next week... wooo!!

Can't wait to meet you all!!
Old 2014-04-06, 06:52 PM
Regular User

Default backyard thief??

This is kind of scary.
As most of us dont have fences yet, it did occur to me when someone with ill intentions would catch on.

We have a super heavy bbq on our deck that has a cover.
This morning we woke up to find it had been moved towards the steps.

It is impossssible for the wind to do this.
It would take 2 strong men to move it.

We are getting a lock for the wheels today.

What else can we do? Store it in our garage? HOw inconvenient. Dont want this kind of stuff happening in our neighborhood. Who could I call about this?