Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-10-05, 11:38 AM
Regular User

Default Noise complaint

Hello All:

Well, one of my neighbor's dog barks on weird early morning hours. Yesterday he started to bark at 5:30 AM and then day before that it was 6:00 AM.

It has been a week, I looked at City of Ottawa site and there is no by-law I saw that deals with dog barking noise. Not sure if I can file a complaint.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with similar thing what is the best way to deal with it. I was thinking to talk to my neighbor but I am worried I might be labeled as unfriendly neighbor.

Thanks
Old 2010-10-05, 11:42 AM
Regular User

stabbing him in the back by reporting him would be more of an unfriendly thing to do

Pretty sure a dog parking inside the persons home is not something that can be complained about. If the dog lived outside and was barking at all hours then i think bylaw would could get involved.
Old 2010-10-05, 12:09 PM
Regular User

Maybe try leaving an anonymous note in his mailbox first than if the barking continues, speak with them directly.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-10-05, 01:40 PM
Regular User

That reminds me of a great Dexter episode about this!
Old 2010-10-05, 01:42 PM
Regular User

Or the Seinfeld episode - call Kramer and Newman; they'll gladly help to get rid of your problem
Old 2010-10-05, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD View Post
That reminds me of a great Dexter episode about this!
hehe great show.... also the name of my dog
Old 2010-10-05, 02:01 PM
Regular User

I think they let him out in their backyard and when he wants to go back in, that is when he barks until someone comes and let him in. But sometime he continue to bark for more then a minute before someone let him in, that is enough time to ruin your sleep.

I think anytime before 7 AM is early for that, they should wait until after 7 AM.

Anyway, I will probably leave an anonymous note on their mail box.
Old 2010-10-05, 02:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa786 View Post
I think they let him out in their backyard and when he wants to go back in, that is when he barks until someone comes and let him in. But sometime he continue to bark for more then a minute before someone let him in, that is enough time to ruin your sleep.

I think anytime before 7 AM is early for that, they should wait until after 7 AM.

Anyway, I will probably leave an anonymous note on their mail box.
There are some by-laws about this (know from personal experience). If the dog is barking inside there really isn't a lot you can do, I mean unless it's like a 24/7 thing. If the dog is barking outside for like hours on end then yes you can make a complaint.

If they let their dog outside and he/she all of a sudden starts barking and it's maybe for 5 minutes (maybe wants back in, something startled) there really isn't much you can do.

I guess from my POV, dogs only way of communicating is to bark. They bark when they are happy, want to play, scared, suspicious and of boredom. I would listen for the situation and see what's happening. If they are letting the dogs outside and then ignoring them and the dog barks for 20+ minutes I might just kindly talk with them and say you understand the dog has to go out but can you please respect the early hours (there is a noise violation of 8am-11pm on weekdays and 10am on Saturdays and 12pm on Sundays).

I'm a little biased with dogs, but I always find it funny that no one else has a problem when kids are running around outside your house screaming their heads off, no one complains then...yet the dog is doing the same thing as a kid sometimes, playing outside. Unlike kids, dogs can't speak (but just my personal opinion).
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2010-10-05, 02:56 PM
Regular User

I am also a dog owner, but if my dog starts to bark, I immediately run to the door and get her to stop whether it's 6am or 4 in the afternoon. It's just common courtesy! If a dog is barking for 20 minutes without intervention, that's is extremely disrespectful to your neighbours and same goes for if your kid is screaming at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes. I don't care what time of day it is!

For this specific situation - in my case, I leave for work at around 6:30am, so the dog has to be let out before 7am. That being said, I'm very careful to stand by the door and wait for her to do her business and let her back in without barking. If these people can't stand by the door, the least they can do is get to the door as quickly as possible when the dog starts to bark which shouldn't be more than 15-30 seconds. The only reason their dog barks is because they wait for it to bark before letting it in so it sees this as it's only way of getting into the house.

I would certainly leave them a polite note. If that doesn't work bylaw might be willing to stop by and let them know there was a complaint so to be more careful at early morning hours...
Old 2010-10-05, 03:50 PM
Regular User

After reading other posts, I realized that its true for poor dog that he has to bark to let the owner know that he has done his job and now needs to get in to the house. And it has been cold in the morning lately.

Its true that some people have to let their dog out early cause they start their work early, not like me who got to sleep in late until 7:30

Also, Its not that the dog barks for more then a minute, probably for 10 seconds or less but I was just frustrated being up and then was not able to get back to sleep again.

I will probably will get used to it.

Its all fine !!