Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-10-20, 10:21 PM

Default 27" Deep Washer/Dryer space, top floor laundry room....

Hello everyone,

We are moving into a Richcraft Stratford LE townhouse next month, and we are having a bit of an issue with the 2nd floor laundry room and the measurements.

Our contract says the washer/dryer size is 27" wide x 27" deep based on "standard washer/dryer size". I have had a very hard time finding a dryer specifically that is 27" deep. Even the smaller ones are around 28"-29".

I was in the house for a walk-through and looked at the area. The washer/dryer are meant to sit in this basin area, and it has about a 3" lip at the front. I assume this is made so if the washer was to leak, the water has a place to go.

I measured the actual depth from the lip to the back of the wall and got around 33.5"-34". Basically my questions are:

1) How much room behind the washer/dryer do we actually need to hook up the hoses/vents, etc.
2) Has anyone else had 27" depth specified in their plans and if so, what was the largest washer/dryer pair you were able to fit into the space?

I am clearly a first time home owner, I have been doing laundry in an apartment for 6+ years so I am a bit clueless to all of this. I would like to buy the biggest washer/dryer I can for the space. But I am hesitant to take a risk and buy something 29-30" deep unless I know someone else has and it fits alright!

Thanks in advance for any info.

- Steve
Old 2010-10-20, 10:32 PM
Regular User

The washer does not require a lot of space at the back. Basically just enough for the water lines. The dryer requires approx 6" for the vent if you vent it out the back. Most dryers will allow you to change the direction of the vent and vent it out the side.
Old 2010-10-21, 03:13 AM
Regular User

We are in the same situation - the dryer we purchased is about 31" in depth. We already asked Richcraft to remove the lip (our house is only being framed right now) to which they said no. As I'm sure most Richcraft owners know, they won't make changes in the towns very easily if at all. I'm not sure why the laundry room wasn't just tiled with a drain like most other builders. I am disappointed in this and hope that the fact that we will probably have to remove the lip to fit our appliances won't void any warranty they might have offered.

All towns seem to have this, I wonder what other owners have done.
Old 2010-10-21, 07:19 AM
Regular User

another problem with these pans is they don't always install flooring under it
Old 2010-10-21, 09:39 AM
Regular User

I had a richcraft carlisle le, and I went and purchased a regular front load washer/dryer (frigidaire affinity atf7000) without even considering the measurements. It fit just fine, in fact with sufficient space to make all the connections in the back. If i were you, i'd actually go and measure the unit at future shop/sears, whatever. Same with fridges, the measurements are many times overblown to make sure you have clearance to connect hoses/rigid exhaust ducts.

Old 2010-10-21, 09:51 AM
Regular User

I just had a GE set installed, I will get measurements of the washer/dryer and the area and let you know how it all fits. For what it is worth, it has plenty of room before the lip though we are with a different builder.
Just one other thing you should note is that the washer door cannot be switched on front loaders (dryers can) so if you are buying this style, make sure that you are able to swap the washer/dryer locations if your washer is designed to be on the right of the dryer. We had to get longer water hoses but the outlet hose reached (thankfully!) so now we don't have the doors opening into each other but away from each other (like french doors).

Old 2010-10-21, 11:18 AM
Regular User

We have a Richcraft too that measured 27". We then measured ourselves and noticed the measurements were bigger. We decided on the Samsung VRT Front Loaders and they fit fine. The only tough part was running the solid duct from the dryer to the vent. It snapped open at first since there isn't a lot of room back there. But a simple fix is getting the flexible duct instead.
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2010-10-21, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
But a simple fix is getting the flexible duct instead.
not plastic I hope - it isn't safe
Old 2010-10-21, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
We have a Richcraft too that measured 27". We then measured ourselves and noticed the measurements were bigger. We decided on the Samsung VRT Front Loaders and they fit fine. The only tough part was running the solid duct from the dryer to the vent. It snapped open at first since there isn't a lot of room back there. But a simple fix is getting the flexible duct instead.
Would you happen to know the depth of the dryer specifically? If you have a model number I could look it up. The dryers we have wanted are all around 30"-31", if we can fit one of those in that "27 inch" space, then I'd be laughin'.

Thank you everyone for the great information! I am a little disappointed with the "27 inch" space since the lip could have easily been pushed out another 6" to a foot. However, we took a chance and bought an early occupancy home... so lesson learned!

If there is any more information anyone would like to share, please feel free!

Cheers
- Steve
Old 2010-10-21, 02:19 PM
Regular User

Here are the model numbers for my washer and dryer

washer: GBVH5300K1WW
dryer: PBVH520EJ0WW

They are both approximately 28-29" from front to back, not counting the space for connections. As mentioned, the dryer needs a good 6" for venting, and the washer another inch or two for water lines coming out.

The lip is around 37.5" away from the wall moulding, and I have about an inch clearance from the front of the appliances to the lip. I do have some leeway in behind as they are not flush against the wall as much as they could be.