Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-01-24, 01:20 PM
Regular User

Default Sensitive Smoke Detector

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody has encountered the same problem with their smoke detector....

We've been in our house for about 30 days now and our smoke detector has gone off almost everytime we've used our stove. We have a gas stove and assumed that since it was the first time using the stove it would emit more smell... but it continues to go off. The smoke detectors are all connected within the house, so it gets pretty loud!
Old 2011-01-24, 01:24 PM
Regular User

we had to get ours all replaced - there is one type that malfunctions regularly

but if it is nly related to stove use, could be something else - do you use the range hood vent wen the stove is running? you may want to get the stove checked too - may not be burning correctly

this isn't the carbon monoxide sensor is it?
Old 2011-01-24, 01:56 PM
Regular User

I hope we don't have to get our smoke detectors replaced... yes we always turn our hood vent on. It shouldn't be a carbon monoxide issue, since we also purchased a separate carbon monoxide detector and that doesn't go off.

I guess I should contact Tartan
Old 2011-01-24, 03:18 PM
Regular User

yes let them know - it took the tech about 20 minutes for 3
Old 2011-01-24, 03:43 PM
Regular User

Not sure if Tartan does this also but for Tamarack, the top floor smoke detector is also a carbon monoxide detector.

It's also a good ideal to vacuum out the smoke detectors as a lot of dust and debris gets trapped during the building stage.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-01-24, 03:54 PM
Regular User

I had the same issue with my old townhome with this matter.
The smoke detectors were pretty much right outside the kitchen, about ten feet from the stove, so any time I opened the oven (whether it be baking a pizza, baking muffins, etc.) the smoke detector would go off. I replaced all the smoke detectors and it was happening less frequently, but would still go off occasionally. Other houses in the area would have the same issue as you'd almost hear at least one smoke alarm go off every couple of days aroudn dinner time during the summer...

You may want to call the builder first to get them to replace the units.

Old 2011-01-24, 05:58 PM
Regular User

What a coincidence! Mine literally went off 10 minutes ago. I have something in the oven cooking but there's no visible fumes or smell so I don't know what triggered it. It has happened a few times since moving in last June. It's really annoying!! Maybe I should put it on my 1-year? Or do you think it warrents a call sooner?
Old 2011-01-24, 06:03 PM
Regular User

I would call - if its unreliable there is a safety risk
Old 2011-01-24, 07:32 PM
Regular User

Mine went off tonight too but my hubby says it because I don't know how to cook...you think if I didn't know how to cook then he'd stop asking me to do it

I think my neighbours are use to it by know because they don't even look out the doors anymore if it goes off around supper time!!!

But...my old neighbour did call the fire dept one time! We became get friends after that!! But...for some reason she never let me cook the dinners

Any how...I think the smoke detectors are just sensitive. But at I know my works!

Old 2011-01-24, 10:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
It's also a good ideal to vacuum out the smoke detectors as a lot of dust and debris gets trapped during the building stage.
I recommended vacuuming the alarms too. I had my alarm go off randomly in the summer time when I just moved in. They were all clogged with construction dust.