Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2011-03-22, 07:50 PM
Regular User

Default Basement finishing and suspended ceiling

Planning to finally finish the basement of our home. Was thinking about suspended ceiling to save some time and money. Anyone have experiences using this? Or pictures?
Old 2011-03-22, 10:35 PM
Regular User

I put a suspended ceiling in, I don't have pictures readily available, I'm in the tail end of the basement finish, just finishing the door frames and now moving to the flooring, baseboard, casing and then finally, finally the ceiling tiles...grid is in however.

To give you an idea I have 550 sq/ft of finished space, once I remove the area covered by bulkheads I have about 375 sq/ft of suspended ceiling made up of 6 totally separate areas.

Cost

Main Tees = 40.00
Ceiling Tiles 350.00
Wall mouldings - 150.00
4 ft cross tees - 120.00
misc hardware - 30.00

FYI laser level made the work much much easier.

Cheers
Old 2011-03-23, 03:34 PM
Regular User

not sure it saves much time. when you wire up all the frames and then cut most of the ceiling tiles because you want them centred in the room and you have potlights in some, i think you'll find it almost the same price as drywalling would have been.

my brother just put in new ceiling tiles (the frame was already in place) and it took 3 people about 5 hours to do 3 rooms - total maybe 600sq ft. there was a lot of cutting, and he used the fibreglass tiles so you needed to wear gloves and a facemask.
Old 2011-03-23, 05:50 PM
Regular User

You probably won't save much money, especially if you go for any of the nicer tiles. That said, it will save you a lot of time and money later on if you have to access any of the water/electrical/hvac etc... stuff that is usually covered by the ceiling.