Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville

Stouffville Moving to Stouffville? Already living there? This section is for you.

Old 2011-03-31, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Default Election Campaign Starts with a Rumble

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/artic...-irk-mp-voters

Just who is seeking re-election for MP of Oak Ridges-Markham – Conservative Paul Calandra or Liberal Lui Temelkovski?
By looking at the election signs, it appears that both men are vying for another term as MP.

The reality is Mr. Calandra, a Stouffville resident, is the current Member of Parliament for Oak Ridges-Markham and he got it by defeating Mr. Temelkovski in 2008.

Mr. Temelkovski said in an interview on why he is using ‘re-elect’ on his signs. “I’m not a rich man. So we’re not going to spend $20,000 on new signs and throw these in the trash. Candidates use all kinds of signs. You use what you’ve got.”

Mr. Calandra does not buy this reasoning. He, too, is using signs from the last campaign, which had ‘elect’ on them. Mr. Calandra said he has put ‘re-elect’ stickers on them for this go-around.
“You certainly re-use all the signs you can. It’s no excuse,” Mr. Calandra said.

Howard Moscoe, a former Toronto councillor and election sign designer, told the Toronto Star this week candidates should not try to look like the incumbent if they are not and if they have held a seat years ago, should not say re-elect, return or send back.

One riding resident said the use of ‘re-elect’ has called into question Mr. Temelkovski’s integrity.

“If you’re going to misrepresent here. What is it going to mean when you get (into political office). I think it speaks to character,” Richmond Hill resident Jonathan Hatt said.

Politicians always lie, but we usually find out the lies later. If he's willing to mislead us already before he's in office, what is he capable of doing while in office?
Old 2011-03-31, 09:23 PM
Regular User

Looks to me as cost is not Mr. Temelkovski's real reason here.

http://www.re-elect-lui.com/

No excuse. You can't re-publish your web site and change re-elect to elect?? please
Old 2011-04-01, 06:24 AM
Regular User

Oh FFS. He even lists "Member of Parliament, 2004 - 2008", right there in bold on his site. Had he never been a member of parliament, you have a case. Because he once was, he wants re-election. There is nothing wrong with that statement.

If that's the best you have on this guy, try again. This is just pedantic.

Last edited by BartBandy; 2011-04-01 at 06:26 AM.
Old 2011-04-01, 06:43 AM
Regular User

definition is 'elect again' not return incumbent
Old 2011-04-01, 07:35 AM
Regular User

I think it's wrong, but surely there has to be a better reason not to elect him than he didn't put stickers on his signs this time 'round. The Conservatives were just found to be in Contempt of Parliament. Lui didn't put red stickers over the "Re-" part of his election signs. Come on.
Old 2011-04-01, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Point is that Paul won the election by a narrow margin (400 votes).

http://www.thestar.com/federalelection/article/517324

Oak Ridges-Markham is a fast growing area, with 42% of the population identified as immigrants.

It is sad to say, but Lui is trying to confuse the unknowledgable voters by making them believe he is currently in office with his signs and website. Therefore, they will just re-elect who they believe is the popular vote, which is what happens more often than not come election time (as they want to feel like they contributed to the successful candidate's success). Because in all honesty, it only takes a few dozen households to make him win this time around.

I agree, one can argue then that's the problem of the unknowledgable voters, and people should work to educate them. But reality is, a large portion of the immigrants are unknowledgable about national politics. And a large portion of the voters are immigrants.

Needless to say, I think this wil backfire on Mr Temelkovski, as the article on the york region website will be delivered to every single household in his riding in the local newspaper. Therefore attempting to educate his riding, and clarify the situation moving forward. Question is, how many of those households will take the time to read the article?

But if people like myself view his attempt at voter deception and misrepresentation as a display of poor character, then they will vote for Mr Calandra. I was really looking forward to the prime minister debates, and the platforms of each party; but I find it hard to support a candidate displaying poor character values. But that's just in my opinion. As Mark and Lynda pointed out, it isn't just the signs, but the website that demonstrates that re-elect is a key word in his campaign. So it never was just about stickers and re-using old signs

As an immigrant, I dont feel that tricking families like mine as a means to a successful campaign is in the best interest of this riding. He's using a technicality to his advantage.

Did Sue Sherban's signs say re-elect? Even though she was mayor before Mayor Emmerson? I dont believe so.

Last edited by Lemon_Lime; 2011-04-01 at 09:49 AM.
Old 2011-04-01, 10:56 AM
Regular User

A lot of people are uncertain about Ignatieff's ability to lead. This is what caused Dion to lose as well in the last election.

If the Liberals want a chance to take power, Ignatieff's best opportunity to market himself is to do a one on one debate with Harper, and show he can stand on his own, and firmly. He can score huge public points with a successful performance like this, and I think they both realize this now.

Unfortunately though, Harper is backing away from his initial challenge. I think because he's realized that if he loses the one on one debate, he can lose the confidence of the Canadian voters, because essentially the election really does come down to those two parties.

Jack Layton I find is the most eloquent of the leaders and a good balance between the two other parties.

Last edited by Ghetto_mathie; 2011-04-01 at 11:04 AM.
Old 2011-04-01, 11:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon_Lime View Post
Did Sue Sherban's signs say re-elect? Even though she was mayor before Mayor Emmerson? I dont believe so.
Since when did being the incumbent (or even looking like the incumbent) automatically get you votes? This strikes me as such a non-issue. If it were me running, I would invest in a couple hundred dollars worth of red stickers and cover-up the "Re-", but of all the issues confronting voters in this riding, this strikes me as one of one of the smallest. If you had something on Lui for funneling money or jobs to friends, or accepting kickbacks, or even parking illegally in handicapped parking spots, then you'd have something.

Maybe it's just me, but nit-picking on every little stupid thing during an election drives me crazy. There are bigger issues at stake, and if a candidate's missing bit of tape over the "Re-" part of his re-used election signs is the biggest problem you have with him, that's a damn sight less troublesome than what you could say about a lot of parties and candidates.
Old 2011-04-02, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Wow, this issue actually made it into the Toronto Star!

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/p...s-markham?bn=1
Old 2011-04-02, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Well, I think what he is doing is manipulative and not impressive. May not mean he's a bad guy but likely he wouldn't have liked it the other way around so he shouldn't do it. The fact that his website and other material also say 're-elect' shows that it's a tactic to win votes. Having said that; I find it very sad and pathetic that people simply look at the word "re-elect" and don't do any homework on who they are voting for and just vote for that candidate. And this story proves exactly that, that people are that lazy!

But unless you have some real dirt on this guy, I agree that it's not this that will make me vote against him if I prefer his platform (or the Liberals').