Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-06-07, 12:40 PM
Regular User

Thermotech is a great local company with incredible windows. They were the cheapest that we could find and their windows are superior to any others.

Their sales team (our sales guy was Helmut) will come to your house to and provide a demonstration using heat lamps and a variety of window options ("home depot" quality, builder-grade, theirs, etc).
Old 2012-07-19, 09:40 AM

The best installer I ever met was Ralph Frank (I do energy audits for a living and have seen hundreds of installers over the past 20 years). When I first met him he was working for a different company - now he owns Turbo Windows - 613-277-9833
Old 2012-07-19, 09:52 AM
Regular User

My parents just had all the windows on their main floor replaced by theo mineault yesterday. Excellent service and the product is both beautiful and appears to be of very good quality. The price, to my understanding, was very good as well (A good 2k less than what other places were estimating). They dealt with the location off of Merivale.

Made a pretty dramatic difference on the aesthetics of the house.
http://www.theomineault.com/category...ottawa-26.aspx
Old 2012-07-19, 08:41 PM
Regular User

I don't know of any companies to recommend. Based on our experience:

1) Window installation is *very* important. Find out how they install them and get lots of references.

2) Leave some money aside from your window project and also get solar blinds. Windows only have an R-value of about 2-3 (not like walls). Solar blinds can keep the heat out in the summer and heat in the winter. We are slowly adding solar blinds/panels to all our windows. So far it has made a big different in comfort during out hot days. Still have to try them in the winter.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2012-07-20, 09:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
I don't know of any companies to recommend. Based on our experience:

1) Window installation is *very* important. Find out how they install them and get lots of references.

2) Leave some money aside from your window project and also get solar blinds. Windows only have an R-value of about 2-3 (not like walls). Solar blinds can keep the heat out in the summer and heat in the winter. We are slowly adding solar blinds/panels to all our windows. So far it has made a big different in comfort during out hot days. Still have to try them in the winter.
Windows use what is called a U factor, it is an average of the R value of the whole window as the R value in the center of the glass will not be the same as it is on the edges.

Minimum Canadian standard right now is 2 panes of glass sealed with argon gas floating in the middle and a Low-e coating to block some of the sun. You can then upgrade to have double, triple and quad layers or Low-e to block more sun etc....
Old 2018-09-06, 01:06 PM
Regular User

Hello,

Reviving the tread...we are looking to replace windows for the whole house, so anyone know a good company with reasonable price?
Old 2018-09-07, 10:44 AM
Regular User

At my last place we had Verdun Windows do our windows and front door. They were great and cheaper than the other options I looked at. I've recommended them to friends and I've received positive feedback from them. They'd be worth checking out.
Old 2018-09-07, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
At my last place we had Verdun Windows do our windows and front door. They were great and cheaper than the other options I looked at. I've recommended them to friends and I've received positive feedback from them. They'd be worth checking out.

My parents went with them as well and their windows do look great. They had one cracked pane of glass afterwards and it was replaced with no issues.
Moved In: April 10th 2010