Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2006-08-02, 08:00 AM
Regular User

Default Window Coverings

Hi everyone. I know its a little premature, but I am hoping to get California Shutters for the house. I know vinyl is a better choice for sunny rooms. Does anyone know any well priced suppliers or any other options. I once read about ""polywood"" shutters; a mix of wood and plastic, but not sure which way to go. Price will determine a lot. If anyone else is going for shutters, maybe we can get a better price as a group.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Diana
Old 2006-08-02, 08:36 AM
Regular User

If you drive around the neighborhood there are some signs around at homes that have had them installed. We noticed a few probably 2 weeks to a month ago.
Old 2006-08-03, 09:44 AM
Regular User

We originally wanted california shutters for all the windows but we wanted them installed inside the window frame. In order to do this, the window depth has to be a minimum of 3". Ours were only 2.5 so the shutters would need to be installed on the outside of the window and you lose the frame. We opted for blinds in all the rooms except the powder room and master ensuite where we still went with shutters. And the outside mounted shutters are more expensive than inside mounted.
Old 2006-08-05, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the tip re depth, something to measure when the house is ready. Blinds may be a more practical option for me as well.
Old 2006-08-10, 01:26 AM
Regular User

i just stopped by star's custom shutters up by the airport and checked out their "factory". assembly is simple, but looks sturdy. they quoted me $2100 for 13 windows of various sizes in a premium wood shutter. that's about half of what i was quoted at the cheapest of 5 vinylbilt dealers, and a thousand cheaper than half shutters/half blinds. glad i read the recommendations here. they're coming to measure friday, and quote installation in 2 weeks. wow.
Old 2006-08-10, 09:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner
i just stopped by star's custom shutters up by the airport and checked out their "factory". assembly is simple, but looks sturdy. they quoted me $2100 for 13 windows of various sizes in a premium wood shutter. that's about half of what i was quoted at the cheapest of 5 vinylbilt dealers, and a thousand cheaper than half shutters/half blinds. glad i read the recommendations here. they're coming to measure friday, and quote installation in 2 weeks. wow.
Wow that's a very good quote indeed.
Old 2006-08-10, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Default wood shutters

That is a good quote. I would ask if they make vinyl shutters. I have been warned by a few people about real wood shutters....seems they warp over time and more people opting for vinyl....perhaps the reason for the good quote...maybe wood shutter makers are struggling. I have decided to go for vinyl because the rooms I want them in are sunny west exposure.
Old 2006-08-10, 05:46 PM
Regular User

Default wood vs.vinyl

We currently have wood shutters in our home, and I love them! They are able to look more custom and blend in with the trim, have a "marine" paint finish so its stands up to moisture and sun exposure. They have not warped or yellowed and still look great 6 years later. ( with direct sun most of day)I think the lifespan may indeed be a few years less than vinyl, but I would get them again.
Old 2006-08-16, 03:30 AM
Regular User

Does anybody know if 2.5 is the standard depth for Mattamy window frames, or was it just that one posters particular house?

My friend told me that Home Depot does custom California Shutters...she said her uncle did his whole house for $800?!?!

I'm assuming that is all vinyl, for the most frugally minded...but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet...sounds too good to be true...
Old 2006-08-16, 07:15 AM
Regular User

Ours are 2.5" deep too, BUT we have casement windows, so there is the little metal "bump" that the operator attaches to as well. The depth from the "bump" to the edge of the sill is less than 1" so I am not quite sure if inside mount shutters can be installed. If anyone has been able to install inside mount shutters on this type of window, please let me know because I really wanted to purchase some for our Master Bathroom but I figured that it wouldn't be possible. Also, the operators that come with the casement windows are not the kind that fold up - they are just the regular kind that stick out from the window. I went to Home Depot and bought replacement operators that fold up when not in use - about $10 for a 2 pack.

Laurie

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!