Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Aurora

Aurora Minto, Kylemore, Aspen Ridge and Townwood

Old 2014-03-24, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Default St. John's Forest - Mattamy Homeowners

Morning,

Wanted to create a thread for all who will be calling St. John's Forest - Mattamy home shortly or in the next little while.

Let's use this thread to discuss progress, share news and helpful info on upgrades etc.

This is a great way to get to know your neighbours and stay up to date on our little community.

Also - wanted to thank those you stuck it out with me Friday night for the release of Phase 2...it was great to meet you all. Hopefully, everyone got what they were looking for.

FYI...I will be calling DEGRAFF CRESCENT home.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 2014-03-24, 10:50 AM
Regular User

I purchased my home during phase 1 and will be closing at the end of May. I do not expect any further delays as we are well within the 90 days now.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.
Old 2014-03-24, 08:31 PM
Regular User

Busta39, how long is the delay so far for you?
Old 2014-03-24, 09:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisswalk View Post
Busta39, how long is the delay so far for you?
6 days. There should be no further delays as we are now within 90 days.
Old 2014-03-24, 09:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc2014 View Post
Morning,

Wanted to create a thread for all who will be calling St. John's Forest - Mattamy home shortly or in the next little while.

Let's use this thread to discuss progress, share news and helpful info on upgrades etc.

This is a great way to get to know your neighbours and stay up to date on our little community.

Also - wanted to thank those you stuck it out with me Friday night for the release of Phase 2...it was great to meet you all. Hopefully, everyone got what they were looking for.

Cheers,

Bill
Which one did u bought?
Old 2014-03-24, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Lucan corner
Old 2014-03-26, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Morning,

Cheers,

Bill
Hey Bill, it was great to meet you Friday and thanks again for creating the sign-in system. Awesome idea - and we DID get the lot and house we were waiting for so it was all worth the wait. Curious to find out who bought the lot next to us.

Lisa & Jay
Daisy on Degraff Cr.
Old 2014-03-26, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Morning,

Cheers,

Bill
Hey Bill,

Just wanted to thank you for setting up the sign up sheet. It was a brilliant idea that made it fair for everyone. It was a cold night, but we made it through and got exactly what we wanted! This will be the first home my wife and I will be purchasing, so we're really excited but also a little overwhelmed.

To everyone in St. John's Forrest, I did some research and made some calls and thought these two bits of information would be worth mentioning and up for discussion.
1) Currently, there is a cell tower that's about four stories high south of St. John and right at pin level with Clifford Dalton Drive. I talked to Sarah at Mattamy Homes, and she said this tower will be torn down and relocated east of the current Mattamy Homes sales centre, and south of St. John.

2) I called National Home Services (our future Water Heater Tank provider), and tried to asked them some questions. a) Can we buy out of the contract? and How much would it cost? b) Can we upgrade the current tank to a tankless. However, the rep said, since there is no address and no file, she cannot check any of this information. Would anyone be able to provide more insight on this matter? On the other hand, I left my name and number and she said she forwarded my questions to the Builders department. Hopefully I get a call back.

Anyways, we look forward to meeting all of you when we move in.

Felix and Christine on Payne Cres.
Old 2014-03-26, 12:44 PM
Regular User

Hi Felix,
I have bought from new construction (Mattamy as well) previously. We did buy the water heater, however looking back I'm not sure it was entirely worth it. The cost in 2006 was about $1,400 (oops, wrong #!) and you get the same 10 year warranty as with renting. We had also enquired about tank-less, but they told us that because they install everything standard, we'd have to have the big tank installed, and then after closing have it changed to the tank-less type. Again, this is 8 years ago so things might be different now.

Last edited by LJF; 2014-03-27 at 07:42 AM.
Old 2014-03-26, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJF View Post
Hi Felix,
I have bought from new construction (Mattamy as well) previously. We did buy the water heater, however looking back I'm not sure it was entirely worth it. The cost in 2006 was about $14,000 and you get the same 10 year warranty as with renting. It does save you about $2,000 over the 10 years vs. rental, but then you're out $14k that you could have put as a lump sum on your mortgage. If you're going to stay past 10 years, maybe it will be worth it? Not sure what the life span of a water heater is, mine's making funny noises now and it's almost 8 years old. Just had it serviced in November.
Thanks for your reply Lisa! So I'm guessing 8 years later, the buy out will be much more now. $14K is steep. I guess buying out the contract is far out of reach for us

Either way, I'll let you guys know when I hear back. In case anyone hear wants that option.