Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-03-28, 08:00 AM

Default Bathroom Upgrades After Closing or Before

Hi All

I hope someone can give me advice based on their own experience

I am purchasing a home through Cardel and the last thing I have left is the bathroom fixtures
I have asked for upgrades to
The soaker tub
the washbasins (x 2) in the main bath
the walk in shower

The prices I have received seem a bit crazy relative to the cost of the item from somewhere like home depot
I expect price would be higher from a builder if you factor in labour and markup but still the price is almost 3 times the cost of the item retail

So my question:

It is worth doing it through the builder during construction or can the faucets be replaced after closing relatively easily and cost effectively from the standard ?
or is the hassle not worth it ?

Specifically referring to a soaker tub faucet with hand shower
Shower Faucet
Basin Faucets

Anyone's experience would be useful

Thanks
Old 2018-03-28, 08:08 AM
Regular User

The shower, sink and regular tubs are very easy to replace yourself and even if you're not comfortable doing it it's not much to have a plumber do it. Now the soaker tub especially with a hand shower is a different story and even most plumbers hate installing or reinstalling those and you will have to cut a whole in the tub for the hand shower and do extra plumbing work to attach it. I know most people looking for a hand shower take the hit and pay the builders crazy prices.
Old 2018-03-28, 08:48 AM
Regular User

I also added the hand shower to the tub. It cost us $5xx through the builder. I expect it to be around th same price or more afterwards so I just did it with them. But I see you’re referring to the actual faucet. Replacing a faucet should be straight forward. Adding/removing is what you may want the builder for.
Old 2018-03-29, 07:31 AM
Regular User

Builders typically install big slab mirrors in bathrooms. Some people choose instead to buy framed mirrors and install them themselves.
Old 2018-03-29, 01:52 PM
Regular User

I believe my soaker tub hand shower cost over $600 through minto and I was actually pretty surprised that it was the same junk that comes on a regular tub faucet (except obviously one extra handle). It looks and feels low end but it works well, and the work is done should I decide to upgrade the faucet. Not fun cleaning or rinsing the tub without it. The other upgrades I can't help with since they were reasonably priced. I did do the ceramic shower base (upgraded tiles), under mount sinks in both bathrooms upstairs (came with the counter upgrade), and an upgraded pedestal sink downstairs because I didn't like the look of the round one.