Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-03-06, 05:52 PM
Regular User

Default (Potential) roofing issue and resolution?

Hi folks, we moved into a 4-year old freehold townhouse last summer and discovered at least 2 of our neighbours had roofing issue (water leakage).

The builder has since filed for bankruptcy and my understanding is my neighbours did not get much help from Tarion.

They are planning to re-do their roof this spring/summer and are soliciting feedback from the other owners in the townhouse row to see if everyone wants to come aboard and get a bit of a discount as bulk replacement. We have not had any issue (that I know of) and we would rather not spend the $ but we all share the same roof plus the shoddy workmanship from the builder/subcontractor did not give us any warm and fuzzy feeling so we might just bite the bullet and have ours replaced same time as the neighbours'.

Has anyone here been successful in getting compensation from Tarion for roofing issue within the 7 years window for structural issues? If so, could you please chime in with your experience or comment on our situation?

Thanks.

P.S: I may add the roof is aluminum.
Old 2019-03-06, 08:13 PM
Regular User

Bad news is a roof leak would not be considered a structural issue.

I wouldn't be replacing a 5 year old metal roof.

Do you have any pictures pre-snow?

Do the neighbors know the cause of their leaks?
Old 2019-03-06, 09:06 PM
Regular User

All leaks are covered for 2 years.

Keep in mind that some winter leaks are a result of ice damming that is caused when warm air from the home is able to leak into the cold attic. This is usually a result of poor / low insulation and poor attic ventilation.

Whatever you do, have a competent roofer do your new roof. Go with proper ice / eave protection and good architectural shingles. And BTW, take a peek into your attic to confirm proper insulation and ventilation.
Old 2019-03-10, 11:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Bad news is a roof leak would not be considered a structural issue.

I wouldn't be replacing a 5 year old metal roof.

Do you have any pictures pre-snow?

Do the neighbors know the cause of their leaks?
Sorry, g2k, the roof is your typical roof with shingles. Our siding and the roof of the shed is aluminum so I incorrectly assumed the roof of the house is metal as well.

A neighbour came over to show us pictures of their roof that their roofing guy took and they used to submit to Tarion. The workmanship was pretty shoddy, let's put it that way. They are committed to having their roof replace before the next winter and now the ball is in our court (plus other neighbours) whether we want to proceed and get a bit of bulk saving (anywhere between $500 - $1K).

You are right, we should not expect to have to replace a roof for a 5-year old house. Unfortunately, what happened before was out of our control and we are looking at between $12K - $14K to replace ours...
Old 2019-03-11, 06:09 PM
Regular User

Something is out of wack. We replaced our roof in fall 2017 with 40 year architectural shingles. Its a 2 storey 4 bedroom on a wide lot where the double attached garage is beside the house - so it has its own roof.

It was $6500 all in. Recommend you get a quote through Lowes. The crew they sent to our home was incredible - best workmanship and attention to detail I've ever seen.

Also they often have significant sales on installation services, and they apply the discount to all the parts at the same time.

$12k+ seems crazy high.

Last edited by good2know; 2019-03-12 at 09:18 AM.