Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-07-10, 04:11 PM
Regular User

Default Richcraft/Urbandale - Bradley Commons Community

Hello,

My partner and I are in the process of purchasing a Townhome with Richcraft. I believe that Urbandale is also building in the same area.

We were concerned about the Hydro lines close to the site. Does any one have any experience with them? Are they noisy? Any experience with Richcraft as a builder? This is our first home and we've learn a LOT from the site.

We are hoping to get the Addison unit. We reserved a lot. I am starting this thread to bring together anyone looking to purchase in the same area. Looking forward to meeting our future neighbours, and bounce ideas off one another

Last edited by jemy1415; 2017-07-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 2017-07-11, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Hi, my partner and I signed a purchase agreement for an Urbandale town (our first house ever) in this neighborhood a couple weeks ago.

I have no experience living close to a hydro line, but I have friends who live at Fernbank Crossing and Blackstone, both of which are even closer to the main hydro line than phase 1 Bradley Commons. They told me it never bothers them. One of them lives on Livery Street right by the main hydro line, and prior to purchasing he actually did an electromagnetic field measurement (using a Gauss meter) and found it within acceptable range. My town (and most of phase 1 lots) will be a lot farther than his from the hydro line, so I think we'll be okay.

Originally Richcraft/Urbandale planned to release the southernmost lots first for phase 1 (closest to hydro line), but for whatever reason, they had to delay the release last minute (for about a month). When they were finally ready, they released the lots that were originally planned for phase 2. In any case, I haven't seen any actual solid scientific evidence of negative effects of hydro lines. Plus, pretty soon we'll all drive around in our high-voltage electric cars anyways

Last edited by uki; 2017-07-11 at 06:06 PM.
Old 2017-07-12, 08:32 AM
Regular User

I have friends who live out there and have never had any issues. Nice family. Here are pics of the kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7292280752_72efc003a2_b.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	14117   Click image for larger version

Name:	17e3df6e77a8067a178a340e7dccd954--easy-science-experiments-science-fun.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	14119  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (8.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 2017-07-12, 12:07 PM
Regular User

Joking aside, I do have friends who have lived by the power lines for at least 20 years now and they have never had anything negative happen due to the lines. And no, their hair isn't quite that bad.
Old 2017-07-12, 12:20 PM

We also just signed with Urbandale for a town. Just had the initial structural meeting as well.

As for the hydro lines, originally we were looking at Mattamy and lots that they released were even closer than Bradley Commons (we looked at a town within a block that was right where the hydro line meets Terry Fox). Needless to say we decided against going with them, also they were royally screwing us over on pricing. I don't believe the hydro lines would pose as an issue, especially for us that will be on the west side of Abbott Street.
Old 2017-07-12, 12:56 PM
Regular User

Also note that there are two distinct power lines in this area: the main one with 500kV and the secondary one with 230kV. Blackstone and Fernbank Crossing are next to the main line; Bradley Commons are by the secondary line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-07-12_11-49-32.jpg (20.6 KB, 309 views)
Old 2017-07-12, 01:25 PM
Regular User

Hi Uki,

How is your experience with Urbandale? I wonder if Richcraft and Urbandale are building in the same spot or if they have different territories. Thanks so much for the information by the way. I didn't think it would be as close as Livery street. We actually drove by and spoke with a homeowner there and he confirmed that he has no issues/doesn't hear them.

I spoke with Richcraft and the closest home will be 24m away from the lines. It's hard to visualize without seeing exactly where they are building but I think it should be okay. We decided to go a few houses away, just in case

When is your closing date? They are saying October 2018 for us! Oh, and yes, it is our first home (ever) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
Hi, my partner and I signed a purchase agreement for an Urbandale town (our first house ever) in this neighborhood a couple weeks ago.

I have no experience living close to a hydro line, but I have friends who live at Fernbank Crossing and Blackstone, both of which are even closer to the main hydro line than phase 1 Bradley Commons. They told me it never bothers them. One of them lives on Livery Street right by the main hydro line, and prior to purchasing he actually did an electromagnetic field measurement (using a Gauss meter) and found it within acceptable range. My town (and most of phase 1 lots) will be a lot farther than his from the hydro line, so I think we'll be okay.

Originally Richcraft/Urbandale planned to release the southernmost lots first for phase 1 (closest to hydro line), but for whatever reason, they had to delay the release last minute (for about a month). When they were finally ready, they released the lots that were originally planned for phase 2. In any case, I haven't seen any actual solid scientific evidence of negative effects of hydro lines. Plus, pretty soon we'll all drive around in our high-voltage electric cars anyways
Old 2017-07-12, 01:26 PM
Regular User

LOL bummer, it's a pretty good hairstyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Joking aside, I do have friends who have lived by the power lines for at least 20 years now and they have never had anything negative happen due to the lines. And no, their hair isn't quite that bad.
Old 2017-07-12, 01:29 PM
Regular User

Cool! Seems like I should edit the title to include Urbandale! There are quite a few people purchasing with them!

OMG we looked at Mattamy too and their prices are ridiculous. It seem so low at first but nothing isn't included. Things were adding up so fast and we didn't even get to finishes such as hardwood, pot lights etc. Needless to say, we walked out of there SO fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebacon View Post
We also just signed with Urbandale for a town. Just had the initial structural meeting as well.

As for the hydro lines, originally we were looking at Mattamy and lots that they released were even closer than Bradley Commons (we looked at a town within a block that was right where the hydro line meets Terry Fox). Needless to say we decided against going with them, also they were royally screwing us over on pricing. I don't believe the hydro lines would pose as an issue, especially for us that will be on the west side of Abbott Street.
Old 2017-07-12, 02:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemy1415 View Post
Hi Uki,

How is your experience with Urbandale? I wonder if Richcraft and Urbandale are building in the same spot or if they have different territories. Thanks so much for the information by the way. I didn't think it would be as close as Livery street. We actually drove by and spoke with a homeowner there and he confirmed that he has no issues/doesn't hear them.

I spoke with Richcraft and the closest home will be 24m away from the lines. It's hard to visualize without seeing exactly where they are building but I think it should be okay. We decided to go a few houses away, just in case

When is your closing date? They are saying October 2018 for us! Oh, and yes, it is our first home (ever) as well.
We just had the initial structural meeting not too long ago, so far so good.

Richcraft and Urbandale are intermingling/alternating their lots, so no territory. It would be interesting to see the final results.

We're also closing in October 2018, I guess that'll make us neighbors