Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-08-01, 09:41 PM
Regular User

Default Network/cable jacks for Tartan

Hello again, purchased an Ashton model. I understand that you get 7 Ethernet/cable/telephone outlets. Do folks place one in each room? Do you add more outlets? Do they just run wires between the basement and these 7 locations, and then we have to connect them to a router or alike?
Old 2017-08-02, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Yes they will run the wires to a central point in the lower level - usually near the electrical panel.
Old 2017-08-03, 08:19 AM
Regular User

Is there a recommended setup? What do most folks do with the default jacks?
Old 2017-08-03, 09:52 AM
Regular User

I think its a matter of deciding where you would want a web connection.

Any place you have or want a smart tv or anywhere you might put a computer.

Family room, all bedrooms, loft, den / office, kitchen especially if there is a desk, a least one in lower level

Thats what Id be doing....
Old 2017-08-03, 11:28 AM
Regular User

Exactly ^ - it is smart to hardwire anything that you can. Less interference on wifi.
Old 2017-08-03, 10:19 PM
Regular User

How about devices that can't be connected wifi? What are some common devices? Eg my VoIP obi device requires Ethernet. Do security systems need Ethernet? How about garage doors?
Old 2017-08-04, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Any sort of media streamer is best served with an ethernet connection.

Alarm system will usually require ethernet, if you have one that actually connects to the internet (most do not without additional options)

Garage Door Openers such as the Chamberlain/Liftmaster MyQ solution is Wifi.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2017-08-04, 04:47 PM
Regular User

I personally added 3 extra outlets, I used 3 outlets in Master (Ethernet, TV, Tel) 3 in basement with same setup and 3 in the great room. Bedroom I kept them clean since all will be using Wi-Fi. I also added Ethernet cable in the laundry room so I can install Wi-Fi repeater to strengthen the signal. You only need cable outlet in the area where either TV or high streaming device will be installed. The security system nowadays its wireless (at least from few companies I asked)
Old 2017-08-04, 11:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post
I personally added 3 extra outlets, I used 3 outlets in Master (Ethernet, TV, Tel) 3 in basement with same setup and 3 in the great room. Bedroom I kept them clean since all will be using Wi-Fi. I also added Ethernet cable in the laundry room so I can install Wi-Fi repeater to strengthen the signal. You only need cable outlet in the area where either TV or high streaming device will be installed. The security system nowadays its wireless (at least from few companies I asked)
Problem with more outlets is that builders still install cat5e. It's nice to have extra outlets, that's awesome, it's just that you're paying for 20yr old technology.

I'm in the process of finishing our basement and went with cat7. Could you ask them what the price difference is? (or perhaps cat6 as a minimum?) Might be worth the investment (long term).
Old 2017-08-04, 11:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva86 View Post
How about devices that can't be connected wifi? What are some common devices? Eg my VoIP obi device requires Ethernet. Do security systems need Ethernet? How about garage doors?
My VoIP device needs internet and also needed to be in the basement to connect to the phone "hub" so that my regular phones connections would work. To make this work and keep my wifi router on the main floor, I have two ethernet jacks on the main floor one going from my router to my hublet that connects all the other ethernet jacks that terminate in the basement, and one that connects my VoIP in the basement (it prefers not being on the hublet).

I put ethernet jacks wherever I might have either a computer or media connections. I have wifi that pretty much handles the whole house but wasn't sure if it would when I was building and wanted insurance. I do have one room where wifi isn't ideal and I use the direct ethernet there.

Garage door connects via wifi.