Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-08-04, 11:04 PM
Administrator

ARgh!!!

This is driving me nuts.
Set up a Skype call with me next week and I'll get you sorta out.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2017-08-08, 04:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Problem with more outlets is that builders still install cat5e. It's nice to have extra outlets, that's awesome, it's just that you're paying for 20yr old technology.

I'm in the process of finishing our basement and went with cat7. Could you ask them what the price difference is? (or perhaps cat6 as a minimum?) Might be worth the investment (long term).
Maybe I didn't mention but all cables are cat6 . It was $60 / cable to upgrade
Old 2017-08-09, 11:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
ARgh!!!

This is driving me nuts.
Set up a Skype call with me next week and I'll get you sorta out.
Thanks man. I'll pm you but I just didn't have enough time to do proper research into this so I had to finalize on the following:

- Ethernet per bedroom (4)
- Ethernet and cable in great room
- Ethernet in study

I should've looked into this much sooner but it is what it is so now I'll just live with the above and put routers wherever needed.
Old 2017-08-21, 10:52 AM
Regular User

It is worth putting connections in every bedroom and I think maybe even above the garage door on the outside as well as next to the patio door leading to the back yard if you want to connect security cameras later. Better to cough up the money upfront than try and do this later once the drywall is up. Its too late for me now, but I wish I had done all these things including having motion detector lights above the garage.
Old 2017-08-21, 12:34 PM
Regular User

Cat7 is over killed IMO. I did some research into this close to a year ago, and ended up choosing Cat 6 instead. First, the cost is very high; upgrading to Cat6 only costs us 30$ per wire. Cat 7 is bulkier and costs a lot more. Second, you are unlikely to have equipment and devices that support Cat 7 speed today, and you unlikely will do in the future. Router/switch that deals with 10Gbps or above consumes lots of power and generate lots of heat. There are a few new specs that support 3GB and 5 GB over Cat 5 I believe; with Cat 6, you get higher speed that Cat 5 with those specs.

We put two RJ45 jacks in the great room, 2 in the office, and 1 in each bed room.

We also thought of getting 1 out in the front and 1 out in the back for security cameras. However after talking with Orbital people, we shelved that idea. It costs couple hundred bucks to run each line. And according to Orbital people, for security camera, they recommend 1 in each corner; that means 4 wires. We cheapened out and not doing it.
Old 2017-08-30, 11:25 PM
Regular User

I must be missing something. Are we talking of running Ethernet cables to several places in the house in 2017? Are there devices these days without WIFI? I should think 1 on each floor should be enough for a router and maybe a repeater. A jack in each [bed]room is an overkill.
Old 2017-08-31, 07:24 AM
Regular User

Bell has installed their Home Hub 3000 fibe tv box for me on the main floor which is supposed to be the latest and greatest wifi device. I found that in spite of having this device the internet signal strength in the bedrooms upstairs was very poor. I have 300 MBPS and wireless in the bedrooms dropped down to 6 Mbps. Luckily they provide a little device not sure what its called which is wireless and I just used an Ethernet cable to connect that device to my laptop. That increased the speed back to about 300 Mbps. If I need more of those devices, then there would be a monthly charge for each additional one from Bell. All this to say that I would have been better off just having an Ethernet connection in each bedroom.
Old 2017-08-31, 08:16 AM
Regular User

My builder provides us 10 jacks of mixed phones and cables. We use two for TV cable, and change the rest to RJ45. And since the Ethernet cable is only Cat5, we upgraded them to cat 6 for something like 35$/wire. So no, in my case, I don't pay for new wire to the bedrooms, we just re-purpose what the vendor already provides us. WiFi is nice but could be congested if you have a lot of active devices; it is always good to future proof your house with Ethernet cables if budget allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyashes View Post
I must be missing something. Are we talking of running Ethernet cables to several places in the house in 2017? Are there devices these days without WIFI? I should think 1 on each floor should be enough for a router and maybe a repeater. A jack in each [bed]room is an overkill.
Old 2017-08-31, 09:58 AM
Regular User

Totally agree. I kind of regret using two jacks for the cable outlet. We don't even have TV cable at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caehlan View Post
Both Bell & Rogers are offering gigabit internet in new subdivisions - even with the best wifi access points, you cannot achieve gigabit connections with wireless. So actually for today & the future, your best choice is ethernet in each room. You particularly want to make sure anything bandwidth intensive (media streaming) or ping sensitive (gaming) is wired versus wireless. Save the wifi spectrum only for portable devices like phones & tablets.

I would argue you don't need coaxial or telephone outlets anymore - all could be replaced by ethernet. I'm sure 100% Bell supports this with their TV boxes - I'm not sure on Rogers.
Old 2017-09-07, 09:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haivi View Post
Totally agree. I kind of regret using two jacks for the cable outlet. We don't even have TV cable at home.
You can buy a pair of MoCA adapters for each coax run. I don't think brick and mortar stores will have them, so you may have to shop online.

If you have any kind of antenna attached to the coax, remember to buy a MoCA filter or you will broadcast your network traffic over your neighbourhood.