Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-10-13, 10:32 PM
KBMF

Question How much for upgrades?

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if everyone or anyone is comfortable answering this, but I was wondering how much you may be budgeting for upgrades? I guess Im worried about investing too much or too little in upgrades. This is my first home and my budget is going to be about 20k now. From mattamy's upgrade prices, 20k doesnt seem to stretch very far and since the initial prices were so low not much comes as a standard. Anyway, just curious to see what everyone else might be thinking.
Old 2006-10-14, 11:08 AM
Regular User

It depends on what you mean by upgrade.. Is a lot premium an upgrade?

I'll be changing the kitchen design and upgrading various things so I'd say that I'll be at 30k or something like that. That includes hardwood (maple, 3" planks) on main floor, ceramic in all bathrooms, big kitchen (much bigger), 9' basement, french doors in foyer, 200amp electrical, maybe granite in kitchen w/ undermount sink, a few potlights and berber carpet upstairs. That should cover it.
Old 2006-10-14, 11:49 PM
KBMF

Hi Mart,

When I think of lot premiums I consider that as part of the price of the home and not an upgrade but thats just me

When you say that the 30k included ceramics in the bathroom, was ceramics a standard and you just upgraded to a better tile? I am only wondering because for mattamy, ceramics isnt a standard in any of the bathrooms so of course that really bumps up the upgrade cost.

With my wish list I was at 40k and my kitchen is no where near as big as yours, there was no granite, no potlights and no berber carpet. Basically 40k covered hardwood, ceramics in bathrooms, 9' ceilings on main floor only, a few potlights, some kitchen upgrades, and few other things (small things really).

Just by looking at the 3k Tamarack charges for basement 9' ceilings their prices seem much more reasonable. From other mattamy sites, I think they charge 11k for 9' in the basement. Tamarack is definetely more conservative with their upgrade prices. Your kitchen is amazing, I cant imagine what that would cost through mattamy. I guess with the lower home prices, mattamy is planning on profiting more on the upgrades. It seems I am going to be doing alot of the upgrading after closing. ahh well
Old 2006-10-15, 03:20 PM
Regular User

kbmf:
Yup, basic ceramic and hardwood is included everywhere except for bedroom / stairs / hallway upstairs (carpet as standard). Ceramic in a bathroom is cheap though, I paid 900$ per bathrooms in my current townhouse (urbandale) and that's for pretty nice ceramic.

I really had a good laugh when I visited the model homes from Mattamy and saw the huge upgrade list, that's when I understood how they could make their home prices so attractives. I think that they have the "cheapest" base homes in Kanata if you don't include any upgrades... but everyone ends up with 40 - 50k of upgrades so their prices end up the same as other builders.
Old 2006-11-07, 02:07 AM
Regular User

I bought a townhome so I'm not going crazy with the upgrades. However, I did get:

"Executive Kitchen" - upgrade includes under cabinet valences and lighting, crown moulding over cabinets, and a microwave shelf - $2800 (ouch!)

Shut off valves at every sink - $225 (this is an upgrade?!)

Hood fan in black (going to buy black appliances) - $59

Extra CAT5 runs in addition to the included 3, which I will terminate in RJ45 for Ethernet - $200 ($100 per run)

Security system prewire and equipment installation from Henderson Security - $600

Bruce Dundee hardwood floors, 3.5" planks installed at 45 degrees in my living/dining room - about $4100

Ceramic tiles in the foyer, laundry room, powder room and bathrooms - about $2300

Upgraded underpad in all carpeted areas - $1400 (carpet will remain 36 oz standard)

I will look into pot lights in the kitchen and hallways, crown moulding (to cover the mess from wiring the pot lights ) and a mosaic tile backsplash for the kitchen, after closing.

If Mattamy will offer it to me, I would also like the rough-in for a stacked washer/dryer configuration to save some space in my basement, but they do not offer this as a standard upgrade option in my design catalog. I have asked Kim to check on whether it is possible. She advises that if it is, it would cost another $250.

In total that's about $12000 in upgrades, $5000 of which are free (well, included in the purchase price). I will also be receiving 3 kitchen appliances, though I will probably spend a little bit more and get nicer ones than the standard included ones.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2007-01-29 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2006-11-07, 09:21 AM
Regular User

FYI

The shut off valves for under the sinks is a $6 part at home depot. You might want to save yourself some money.
Old 2006-11-07, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay
Hood fan in black (going to buy black appliances) - $59
Don't waste your money on this. Go buy a good range hood after your closing date and replace the POS that the builder provides (ie: noisy and doesn't suck the air).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl9004
The shut off valves for under the sinks is a $6 part at home depot. You might want to save yourself some money.
Only 6$ but you need to install them... and if it's pex, you need to rent / buy the crimper.
Old 2006-11-07, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
FYI

Well, I remember my dad trying to do this job at our old house many years ago, and it took him several months to get it right because he would get the wrong size fittings, wrong tools, etc. I have inherited his (lack of?) handyman ability, less his many decades of learning it the hard way, so I figure it's worth a couple bucks to have this done right.

Maybe by the time I buy my second house I will be able to do it myself.

The cost through Mattamy is $45 per sink, for the pair of valves. I think that's pretty reasonable (although I still think it should have been standard).
Old 2007-01-03, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Well we got our call for our first upgrade appt. last night. So excited!!!!!
Old 2007-01-03, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Well we got our call for our first upgrade appt. last night. So excited!!!!!
Say buh-bye to your savings in your bank account!