Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-08-08, 01:37 AM
Regular User

Thank you so much for your reply. The smell was so strong that I was feeling sick. They have just opened the drywall and picked up the garbage but there is still mould on the sides. Not sure if itís a health hazard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A53C1AD6-E1C5-4FB6-BB29-454C5DA178AE.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	14498   Click image for larger version

Name:	43346C32-FA93-447D-836D-1A756DB6A5AB.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	14499  
Old 2018-08-08, 09:44 AM
Regular User

There was no foam around the window and thatís water was leaking in. So hopefully this fix the issue.
Old 2018-08-08, 10:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjuandok View Post
Builders getting away with this kind of stuff, making you wait (till the warranty period expires) by asking you to monitor the situation is garbage. Theres more than enough evidence that something is wrong. This is a big health concern, and its much simpler to fix a moisture issue than mold remediation. We just went through this with "our builder" less than a year ago except in an unfinished basement space. They installed insulation directly on the basement concrete and vapor barrier it. Didn't wait for the concrete to dry, didn't leave an air gap and used the cheapest pink insolation. Apart from having temperature issues in there an throughout the house (once insolation got wet and no longer had an R value), we had moisture problems. They told us to purchase a dehumidifier. Energy costs went up significantly, and all it did was draw more moisture through the insolation to the vapor barrier. Huge problems trying to deal with this. Keep email records, take photos, and insist on having this fixed. This whole thing about meeting code is nonsense. Code requires the insulation to actually act as insulation and it does not once it gets soaked. Anyways, we involved tarion, had experts (ours first, and then theirs) come in and write up a report/test the mold, and ended up having the builder do the remediation. Its very expensive. Than we spray foamed the basement and the builder paid for half of that (about the cost of putting down the very low quality pink stuff all over again). We had this issue since the 30 day list, but it didn't end up getting fixed until 3 years later Throughout the process the builder insisted on us peeling back the vapor barrier and getting our hands dirty. Don't do it! Its not good for your lungs. And if their contractors want to come in and disturb the mold it will go airborne, make the problem worse and affect everyones health.

GL to you! Don't wait. It won't fix itself. You're not a construction expert, it doesn't take away anything from your case to admit that. You shouldn't have to prove to them where the issue originated from.
I'm going to remember this post, as I have a new build coming up as well (however, no finished basement).

Just curious - you mentioned: "They installed insulation directly on the basement concrete and vapor barrier it". Is it not normal to put the insulation on the concrete? Or is there supposed to be something in between the concrete and insulation?
Old 2018-08-08, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_dogs View Post

Just curious - you mentioned: "They installed insulation directly on the basement concrete and vapor barrier it". Is it not normal to put the insulation on the concrete? Or is there supposed to be something in between the concrete and insulation?
No. There is nothing between the foundation wall and the insulation.

They will wrap the basement foundation walls with fiberglass insulation that has a vapour barrier on the interior side of the insulation.

Before your one year is up look along the side walls for foundation cracks. Look on the basement floors for water stains as a result of leaks from the cracks.

Almost every home has a crack or two.

Even if they have not leaked you are entitled to do a "water test" to see if the crack could potentially leak in the future. As a result of the test the crack is likely to leak.

Sorry to say but I suggest that you not tell tell the builder that you have done a water test. Just tell them that water has leaked to the basement floor and to fix it.
Old 2018-08-08, 09:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie768 View Post
There was no foam around the window and that’s water was leaking in. So hopefully this fix the issue.
AND caulk is required to cover the foam to seal the open gap around the window as per - Code Rule 9.27.4.1. Required Caulking (2) Caulking shall be provided between masonry, siding or stucco and the adjacent door and window frames or trim, including sills unless such locations are completely protected from the entry of rain.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2018-08-09 at 10:14 AM.
Old 2018-08-09, 03:01 AM
Regular User

Yes, they are working on that now. Have to wait for it to dry. Now, just wondering if they forgot to put the foam everywhere else . Wish there is a way to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
Then foam AND caulk is required.
Old 2018-08-09, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Thanks Halton Home Inspector for your insight.
Old 2018-08-09, 01:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
No. There is nothing between the foundation wall and the insulation.

They will wrap the basement foundation walls with fiberglass insulation that has a vapour barrier on the interior side of the insulation.
I'm not challenging you as I am no expert.....but this seems to run contrary to my recent experience. First summer in my house a couple years back (I was second owner, house built in 2009) when it got very humid for a period of a couple weeks I started to notice condensation building up on many sections of the plastic that covers the insulation in the (unfinished) bsmt. I think this is what you are referring to as the "vapour barrier". Anyway, my research and asking around led me to discover that Mattamy missed an important step in ALL houses on my street when building....they forgot to put the "black paper" that is installed BETWEEN the foundation and the insulation (so not visible to the naked eye without pulling back the insulation). Neighbours told me that when they discovered the mistake, instead of sending some kind of formal notice, they simply went door to door one night, and if you happened to be home, you were in luck, you got to schedule the re-installation of insulation with the black paper....but for the many people who weren't home, they were never the wiser. The guy I bought the house from must have been at the grocery store LOL. This is from multiple reliable sources on the street, as incredibly ridiculous as it sounds. So in the end, after hounding Mattamy for a few weeks, in Year 5 of my 7 year Tarion warranty, they obliged and sent someone to re-do my entire basement insulation with the proper black paper behind it. I chatted at length with their tradesman (who seemed knowledgeable) and he confirmed that the black paper was indeed an important step that they missed.

So why would Mattamy, who as we all know has an incentive to only do this type of work when they absolutely have to and are obliged to by code or Tarion etc, give in and do this for me in Year 5? Were they playing games and just trying to disguise a larger problem that would have been more expensive to fix the right way? Or is there something more to the black paper?

Thanks for the great info as usual, HHI! Cheers

Last edited by HMBTUX; 2018-08-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2018-08-09, 01:29 PM
Regular User

Interesting. Any idea what the name of this "black paper" is? I'm going to be the owner of a new build with an unfinished basement, so all the info I can gather would be beneficial.
Old 2018-08-09, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Thank you for everyone's input, very useful for future