Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-08-12, 09:05 PM
Regular User

Default Semi Detached Widen for Parking

Hi,

I am inquiring if this type of widening of the driveway is allowed in Ottawa?.

Can you interlock the side of your home so that you can park two cars side by side. Here are two examples.

https://imgur.com/a/aO1a9XX

Thanks

The Essex by Tamarack Homes - The Meadows
Closed: Oct, 2014
Old 2018-08-13, 07:04 AM
Regular User

Probably not allowed,,, but some people do it anyway.

Most municipalities will limit the width of the driveway based on the width of the lot.

As well, most municipalities will not allow a driveway to go to the edge of the lot.

A tastefully done interlocking "walk" up the side of a single driveway is what most people do but unless you get a permit to do this then DO NOT cut the curb.

Once it is done ( without a permit ) then hope / pray no one complains. The old saying - "Imagine how crappy the street would look if everybody did that." - has some validity.

Tastefully done quality work goes a long way.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2018-08-13 at 08:15 AM.
Old 2018-08-13, 11:40 AM
Regular User

I wonder if the law of "Do not park within three metres of a fire hydrant" would apply in this case?
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2018-08-13, 11:45 AM
Regular User

So, Making a Walkway using Interlock is ok for both sides of the driveway, including the one that is on the edge of your property line (beside your driveway) as seen in the picture.

But you can't park on that portion correct? Your wheels can not touch that because it's not considered a driveway correct?

Thanks

Old 2018-08-13, 11:46 AM
Regular User

There was another thread on driveway widening that had links to the spots in the city of Ottawa bylaw, but essentially, if you are not cutting the curb, and are making a walkway you are fine. If you are parking on it, but not cutting the curb then if it's not more than 50% of the yard and not in front of the house you should be ok, but check the specific wording.

In my case as I don't have a car on it most of the time, I was able to add a walkway that widens my driveway. It can't be considered an extra parking spot though as it's in front of the house, which is prohibited.
Old 2018-08-13, 12:23 PM
Regular User

Thanks Suezuki,

I did read the thread about the widening and it was a little confusing. A lot of the links that go the the by-law doesn't work anymore as the city must have changed the website a bit.

So looking at the 3 images,

1.) Does the driveway+interlock = more then 50% of that property. It looks like it to me but i could be misinterpreting the by-law.

2.) If it was used for parking, This would be illegal correct if indeed it looked more than 50% of the property.

Thanks for any clarification.

Old 2018-08-13, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBilliam View Post
Thanks Suezuki,

I did read the thread about the widening and it was a little confusing. A lot of the links that go the the by-law doesn't work anymore as the city must have changed the website a bit.

So looking at the 3 images,

1.) Does the driveway+interlock = more then 50% of that property. It looks like it to me but i could be misinterpreting the by-law.

2.) If it was used for parking, This would be illegal correct if indeed it looked more than 50% of the property.

Thanks for any clarification.
Here's the link to the bylaw (it's section) - https://ottawa.ca/en/part-4-parking-...isions-sec-107

50% of the property is the current bylaw, but the bylaw indicates that is only for homes built after 2013. If it is more than 50%, it would be against the bylaw for parking. On the bright side, officers will probably never fine anyone or enforce anything since every other house in areas like Barrhaven has an illegal addition!

The 3rd picture seems to show the interlock taking up way more than 50% but it also seems to be using part of the neighbor's yard? Does the neighbor own half that interlock?

Last edited by Sarah2012; 2018-08-13 at 01:20 PM. Reason: pic reference
Old 2018-08-13, 04:36 PM
Regular User

Don't do it Billy, buy a helicopter and park on your roof instead!
Old 2018-08-20, 12:22 PM
Regular User

Just following it for getting an insight if I ever need to do this.....
Thanks
Old 2018-08-20, 12:48 PM
Regular User

same here, might come in handy