Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-04-06, 04:42 PM
Regular User

Question Tips To Help Keep Dogs & Cats Out Of Your Garden?

Hi there,

Anyone have any tips to help keep dogs & cats out of your garden and yard? Cats are continually digging to bury their business and the dogs are marking their spot by urinating on the bushes and trees and killing the plants I have there.

Last year we didn't care but this year we are going to be moving into our new home and want to keep it beautiful. We don't want to fence up our yard because it's too small but we are getting an end unit and know there will be a lot of people with their dogs walking-by our trees and the utility boxes.

We just want to keep them away without having to confront a neighbor. Someone once told me there's something you can buy to place near the flowers and trees and they will smell it and it will keep them away. I just can't remember what it was and I haven't found it on the internet.

Any ideas?
Old 2007-04-06, 11:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalearm View Post
Hi there,

Anyone have any tips to help keep dogs & cats out of your garden and yard? Cats are continually digging to bury their business and the dogs are marking their spot by urinating on the bushes and trees and killing the plants I have there.
Any ideas?
You might want to try this. I'm not sure if it is available here.

Scat plants
Own a house near 10th & Hoover Park.

P.S. Username should be John
Old 2007-04-07, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Thanks. Appreciate it. I'll look for it. Have a good one.
Old 2007-04-07, 01:59 PM
Regular User

cayenne pepper. sprinkle liberally, regularly. you can get it cheap at the bulk food store.
Old 2007-04-11, 10:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
cayenne pepper. sprinkle liberally, regularly. you can get it cheap at the bulk food store.

Some dogs and cats actually like hot/spicy things like cayenne pepper (mine do!) so it might actually attract some of them rather than repel.

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2007-04-12, 12:48 AM
Regular User

Oh boy. Guess I'll have to use both the plants and pepper. My nieghbours will think I'm nuts.
Thanks.
Old 2007-05-11, 12:11 PM
Regular User

umm, poison??? Seems to work every time... lol... just kidding... I have no ideea, I have a dog that pees on my front left wheel on my car every morning, I have a bunch of cats roaming through my backyars (last year they had kittens in the bushes), and last year a big momma racoon nested in the backyard a scunk kept investigating my deck... not to mention the wasps that nest all over the place... the only thing I fight with are the wasps, because they invade me when I eat outside... all the other, they tend to go away when I'm outside, so I don't care what they do when I'm not there.