Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-06-18, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poordionis View Post
Hi all,

Me and my wife we're pretty split on what hardwood to get. Strangely we both agree on the color and that is hould me maple, but she likes the 3 1/4 planks and I like the 2 1/4 ones.

My reasoning is that the 2 1/4 ones look more stilish, more modern, the 3.1/4 looks like a old floor and that the 3 1/4 one would be more suitable for oak and the 2 1/4 one looks better on maple which, espceially when stained, is more uniform.

My wife thimks the 2 1/4 on stainde maple gives the impresion of "bumps" of "waves" in the foor.

We would really like to hear some opinions on 2 1/4 vs 3 1/4 with respect to durability, look, re-sale etc. as we find people on this forum have a lot of good ideas and are very knoledgable.

Thanks.

I think the other way, 2 1/4 is out of date
Old 2007-06-18, 10:43 AM
Regular User

3.25" all the way. So much nicer looking, IMO.
Old 2007-06-18, 10:53 AM
Regular User

As far as I know, Mattamy only offers hardwood from 2 different companies: Bruce and Mirage. They only offer the 2 1/4 & 3 1/4 widths with Mattamy. I much prefer the plank style and the cost isn't much of a difference. The stripe doesn't look bad especially if its a standard feature...like what my parents got.

Depending the size of the house and the way you want the floors to be installed determines what might fit be better...

For small spaces, its usually best to choose the stripe instead of the plank. Most installations are done lengths wise rather than done width wise...
Old 2007-06-18, 10:57 AM
Regular User

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a mental picture of the sizes for the hardwood strips...

Can anyone tell me what size wood strips are in the Mattamy model home 'The Highwood'? This way I can visualize the sizes. I liked that style...

Thanks!
Old 2007-06-18, 11:36 AM
Regular User

The Hightwood is 2 1/4. Also the Oakriver is 2 1/4 .A ll te others are 3 1/4.

We swung by DC this Sunday and we looked again. We are definetelly going with 2 1/4 and The Highwood convinced us to do so. My wife imediatelly changed her mind when she saw the Highwood. We both now agree that the 3 1/4 looks like the old style (poor man's house) plakns. The 2 1/4 has more like a city look. Of course this is all subjective, and I apollogize if I hurt anybody's feeligs. The design center person thought the same.

I guess it all depends on the type of wood and room size. I guess the 3 1/4 goes better with oak whereas the 2 1/4 looks bater in maple.

The only thing that keeps us to fully decide on the 2 1/4 is the resaleability (altough we have no plans to sell in the foreseeable future, baring the neiboughrs are OK), altough in 3-5 yeras time the 3 1/4 might go out of style...

We figure we wil eventually go with what we like, we cannot live in another pleople's house - if we wanna sell we;llfind somebody that will like it.

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-18, 02:11 PM
Regular User

Like pp's said the 3.25 is typically more "in" right now but like everything else, it too will eventually go out of style. I think that in this case you should just choose the style you like best - this is your home after all. A beautiful hardwood floor will definately improve the resale appeal of your home no matter what the trend of the day is.
Old 2007-06-18, 03:36 PM
Regular User

One other thing to consider with Maple is that while it looks beautiful it's less forgiving than Oak or Ash meaning it will show every nic and scratch. There is no grain to hide it.

Something to consider if you have children.
Old 2007-06-18, 09:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
One other thing to consider with Maple is that while it looks beautiful it's less forgiving than Oak or Ash meaning it will show every nic and scratch. There is no grain to hide it.

Something to consider if you have children.
....or if you drop alot of stuff - like me

Laurie

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2007-06-20, 04:36 PM
Regular User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by poordionis View Post
We both now agree that the 3 1/4 looks like the old style (poor man's house) plakns. The 2 1/4 has more like a city look. Of course this is all subjective, and I apollogize if I hurt anybody's feeligs. The design center person thought the same.

I guess it all depends on the type of wood and room size. I guess the 3 1/4 goes better with oak whereas the 2 1/4 looks bater in maple.
The wider the planks, the more expensive...the 3 1/4" is not considered "old style - poor man's house" .... not sure where you got that from

Most people choose 2 1/4" because it's cheaper...since wider boards cost more. We are actually planning on installing 7" Hand Scraped later this year & these are specifically made to have that 'old world look' because of the imperfections...http://vintageflooring.com/roomshs.asp

Everyone has different opinions but I believe most people prefer the wider pkanks.
Old 2007-06-21, 06:16 PM
Regular User

Whichever hardwood you decide on just remember to have a humidifier installed before winter and an AC installed for summer and keep your RH between 45-50% and your floors will last a long time.