Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2005-01-30, 04:14 PM
Regular User

Default 4th line closure - impact on Thompson Rd

Read in the Champion that they are going ahead with the 4th line closure from Main to Derry.

Quote:
Council was applauded -- literally -- Monday night for supporting the closure of Fourth Line from Derry Road to south of Main Street East as of March 1, along with approving speed limit changes on the busy sideroad.
Quote:
Council approved a motion that puts forward the Town's support of the Region closing the section of Fourth Line and makes several speed limit changes.

Council also approved $125,000 to install traffic lights at the intersection of Thompson Road and Laurier Avenue to help mitigate traffic impacts as Thompson Road will be labelled a detour route upon Fourth Line's closure. These lights will take about 20 weeks to get up and running. Trafalgar Road will also be designated as a detour route.
Quote:
The report also outlined traffic data the Region collected for Fourth Line between Main Street East and Derry Road, which showed the number of vehicles that travel this stretch in a 24-hour period has dramatically increased over the years, going from 1,197 in 2001 to 7,718 last year.
The majority of those 7718 cars will be now using Thompson for their north/south travels. That appears to be a problem (to me at least), as Thompson is only a one lane road with no designated left hand turning lanes. Does anyone else see this as being a potential issue?

http://www.haltonsearch.com/hr/mcc/s...-2919081c.html
Old 2005-01-30, 05:23 PM
Regular User

Default What about the James Snow Parkway Extension?

What about the construction to finish James Snow Parkway and connect it with Derry Road? When is that supposed to be done? It will make a huge difference in the traffic from Derry to Main but I have no idea when they are planning to complete it. I would have thought they should have that done before they closed Fourth Line.

Does anyone know the status of that construction?
Old 2005-01-30, 10:02 PM
Administrator

I use Thompson to get to/from work every day.. the closing (again) of old James Snow will monsterously drive up the amount of traffic on Thompson. This sucks.
Old 2005-01-31, 07:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS
I use Thompson to get to/from work every day.. the closing (again) of old James Snow will monsterously drive up the amount of traffic on Thompson. This sucks.
Maybe those that are impacted by this closure should send a letter to the City. At least ask them to finish work on the expansion of James Snow Parkway before closing any existing roads.
Old 2005-01-31, 04:48 PM

I really wonder if the town considered the increase in construction traffic along Thompson as well. The last I heard, many of the builders in the McCuaig Road area plan to start construction in March. Since there are no traffic lights or turning lanes from Thompson onto McCuaig, there will most definately be traffic problems at that intersection with all the trucks turning.
Old 2005-01-31, 05:06 PM
Regular User

IMO it's going to be a mess along Thompson, especially during the home contruction period from March - Nov.

I frequently hear about improvements/extensions to James Snow, but have never read the details of the proposal. Can anyone direct me to where I can get this info online?

Thanks
Old 2005-02-03, 01:44 PM
Regular User

I purchased a new house near McQuaig and I agree that Thompson road will not be able to cope with even another 3400 cars per day. I say 3400 because I am assuming half of the cars that used 4th line will divert to the other new route to the east. Nevertheless I and anybody that lives near Thompson road should:

1. Write a letter to the city asking that the James Snow/Derry connection be accelerated and opened first before closing 4th line.

2. Let town council know that they will aggresively lobby to oppose any move to widen Thompson road to accomodate additonal traffic.

I will be writing my letter. Perhaps we should get a petition going.

I am not about to sit back and deal with all that traffic those Mattamy people will be sending our way.
Old 2005-02-03, 03:57 PM

Quote:
In 2001, the Town completed an Environmental Study Report recommending the widening of Thompson Road to 4 lanes from Derry Road to Steeles Avenue. Construction is currently planned for 2008 and 2009.
The town also plans to change the level crossing at the CPR line to an underpass or overpass at the same time they widen Thompson. http://www.milton.ca/news/flyers/CPRgrade.pdf

See the above link to find out how you can add your name to the mailing list to receive notices of the public information centres. The first of two information sessions will be held sometime in the Spring 2005.
Old 2005-02-06, 04:50 PM
Regular User

what is the closure for anyway?................upgrades etc?
Old 2005-02-08, 02:48 AM
Regular User

I know we're not impressed. We purchased a Falconcrest town home on Andrews trail, the back of our home is facing Thompson...ummmm....can anyone say "NO SLEEP ANY TIME OF THE DAY OR NIGHT" It will be constant construction/traffic! If a petition is going around, let us know! We'll sign it a few times!