Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-08-02, 02:31 PM
Regular User

Default Bell versus New Home Builders

I just found out an interesting piece of information from my builder that Bell is giving new home builders a condition for them to install their main boxes in the developers’ new sites.

Bell's requiring that the developer release the new home buyers name and contact information so that they can solicit them for sales. My builder refuses to do so and so Bell has said that they will not lay down any of their lines in the builders new developments, even though the developers already has a conduit ready and waiting for them to slip the line through.

So beware for those looking to buy a new house because you might not be able to get Bell telephone or internet because they haven’t and won’t put down the lines. Apparently she said Rogers is still willing to put down their lines without being given new home buyer names and contact information.

I fully support the developer. I don’t want my name released to any other person so that I can be harassed at home to buy something.
Old 2007-08-02, 08:02 PM
Administrator

This I find hard to believe. If someone orders a line they are going to have to provide it sometime.

I have noticed however that Bell is not putting demarcs on houses until service is ordered. Usually demarcs were put on regardless.

Makes sense though as not everyone is ordering a land line anymore, and now with other options it's just not worth the money.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-08-02, 08:57 PM
Regular User

Sometimes what the builder tells you and the truth are really far apart... don't believe everything your builder says.
Old 2007-08-03, 04:22 PM
Regular User

I know for a fact that it is true..Bell is feeling the marketing pressure and thinks that Rogers has an unfair advantage in many newly built communities. As a result, Bell is not willing to run their lines because of the cost to do so combined with the big drop in business that's coming from those new areas.

Basically, most people are now going with Rogers (for whatever reason) and Bell is not liking it and feels they are getting ripped off in their contracts with builders so they are not installing their runs in certain parts of communities.

Many developers will no doubt be sending out letters to homeowners that have purchased in those areas explaining this situation.

I hope you all like Rogers products!
Old 2007-08-03, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Not sure how Rogers has an unfair advantage either. They all have to run wire and install equipment. Just different types of wire and different types of equipment.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-08-03, 10:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I know for a fact that it is true..Bell is feeling the marketing pressure and thinks that Rogers has an unfair advantage in many newly built communities. As a result, Bell is not willing to run their lines because of the cost to do so combined with the big drop in business that's coming from those new areas.

Basically, most people are now going with Rogers (for whatever reason) and Bell is not liking it and feels they are getting ripped off in their contracts with builders so they are not installing their runs in certain parts of communities.

Many developers will no doubt be sending out letters to homeowners that have purchased in those areas explaining this situation.

I hope you all like Rogers products!
Legal issues aside, Bell only has itself to blame for the customers jumping ship to competitors in droves. This is not a thread/forum to bash Bell and I am not a Rogers shareholder but I couldn't be more happier switching my services from Bell to Rogers a couple of years back (Internet and cable, I went with some other companies for mobile and long distance services) I have also just switched my home phone to Rogers and am glad I won't have to spend anymore on Ma Bell.

Yes there are other service providers out there folks, Bell's time as a monopoly is definitely a thing of the past. If they want to remain in good hands, they really need to see what's out there and perhaps look at one of the basic factor for business success that is customer service and consumer satisfaction.

Cheers!
Old 2007-08-04, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Talking

Canabiz,

I fully agree, I too switched. And as you mentioned this is not a forum to bash Bell or Rogers. I had to switch due to the lack of technical and customer service and so far have actually saved a bunch.

I know when I bought Bell and Rogers service was put in. If this is the case I'll have to wait and see how long it takes Bell to realize that I have switched and see how long it take before they come begging for my return.
Old 2007-08-05, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Truth be told I have everything with Rogers and prefer it so BUT I would like to take comfort in the knowledge that whenever I choose I could change providers for my entertainment and communications needs.

Since Bell is not putting down their lines it will cut-off a lot of people from being able to take secondary phone providers like Primus, AllStream and a few others.

voIP through Vonage is an alternative but I don't like the fact voIP is protected in that once your number is ported to voIP another home phone provider can't port it to them if you change your mind. For example if I had Vonage and I found the choppiness of the line too much of a nuisance and wanted to switch back to Rogers, I couldn't because Vonage is protected and doesn't have to release the number to Rogers. Under Vonage's terms and conditions they may release the number if certain conditions are met. But that still doesn't mean that I would get the number because if the number wasn't originally a Rogers pooled number then when Vonage releases the number it may go back to Bell's pool and Rogers wouldn't be able to claim it. (Ah the complexities of our communications industry).

But the bottom line is that I would like to see both options installed at my address so that I have options
Old 2007-08-08, 09:56 PM
Regular User

ok SO funny...

I get a message on my answering machine from Rogers quoting my new street address and offering a special cross-promotion with Mattamy.
(I'm still a lot...not an address)

So much for not disclosing our personal information...so is Bell back on the table now? Anyone else get calls from Rogers or any other *helpful* services providers?
Old 2007-08-13, 10:07 PM
Regular User

Looks like this has been confirmed on Minto's website - good news for Rodgers - maybe an alliance there is the real reason?

http://www.mintohomes.com/Ottawa/whatsNew/index.asp