Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-10-06, 07:36 AM
Regular User

Default Air Conditioning Contractors

We are wanting to get air conditioning installed by a third party when we move in. A few questions.

1) Has anyone asked if this will void any warranty?

2) Does anyone have an installer that they would recommend?
(We want both cheap and quality if possible)

Old 2007-10-06, 09:09 AM
Regular User

Talking

baycliffe, It should not void the warranty on the furnace, you may want to check with the builder just in case. I checked with my builder and there was no problem.

I would highly recommend Tercon heating and cooling (613) 838 4967. Terry is the owner and does all the work himself, very good at what he does and has been around for many years. I had him install a furnace and ac in my old place before selling and had him do the ac in my new home. He will give you a choice of equipment to install.

If you call tell him Brad F recommended you. He's a good friend so he should give you a decent price.
Old 2007-10-06, 03:12 PM
Regular User

I'll call him also, I was quoted $4763 to supply and install a 3.0 ton AC PURON by Monarch. I'm not sure if this is good or not.

Lovin' the community.
Old 2007-10-06, 04:20 PM
Regular User

Wink

Randall, When you go through the builder they will charge you way too much (trust me) as the builder makes money as well as the hvac contractors the builder acts as a middle man so he gets his share. He then will set everything up with his contractor whoever his heating contractor is and they will charge a markup on the product allowing them to make money as well. I know this a few of my good friends are in the industry.
Old 2007-10-06, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson_g View Post
with his contractor whoever his heating contractor is and they will charge a markup on the product allowing them to make money as well. I know this a few of my good friends are in the industry.
Not sure if you are aware, but it's like this with every single part of your house.

Your builder acts as a general contractor and investor. They sell the house design to a client (you) for a set price and then contract different trades to build the house. The general contractor keeps on top of it to make sure it goes as planned because they are the ones paying for the entire thing up front before it gets delivered to you.

Yes builders make money on upgrades. But not as much as you generally think. The whole house they might make about 10%.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-10-06, 05:16 PM
Regular User

I didn't say they made much money althought by my post it probably does. I only mentioned they make some on the deal. I am fully aware of the profit the builders make and what the deal is for most of the trades and various upgrades offered. However when it comes to HVAC they do make money on any extras added.

If you can add upgrades like AC at a later date I suggest you do so to save money.
Old 2007-10-09, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Don't buy central A/C through the builder. Mine came with the house, and it's nowhere near as nice as the Sears unit my parents bought. It's loud, and not very cold.
Old 2007-10-09, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Default Any estimates?

I was trying to add up the estimated costs before I plonk down the money.

I know the individual houses probably will have variations, but can anyone quote the price they paid to get their AC and what was the sq footage?

Thanks.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:54 AM
Regular User

After I read this post on getting AC installed by a 3rd party I thought I'd look at my homeowner documents to see if there were any rules from my builder. If you buy from Phoenix, they do indicate that the furnace is under warranty and they state that the warranty will be void unless you have it installed by the contractor who installed the furnace. So, like someone else mentioned you probably should check with your builder.
Old 2008-01-10, 09:58 AM
Regular User

They void your warranty on your furnace? I'd argue that. If your AC was installed by a licenced company (ie. their employees have their heating/cooling or whatever diplomas) then there shouldn't be an issue. They are just trying to lock you into only using certain vendors.

I find it hard to believe all of these new home companies are in operation only to net back 10%. I bet their gross margin is probably in the 30-40% range. We could always look up say Richcraft or any of the big guys as long as they are a public company, find out their direct costs (materials, labor, etc) for 2007 and divide that by the number of homes and buildings they constructed for a rough guess.