Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-08-27, 08:17 PM
Regular User

Thanks Sparky and Dunky!
Old 2010-08-28, 10:31 PM
Regular User

Drove by NHS today, those things are really starting to go up quick. They were doing the stone on tber Berkshire model, I'm suprised they didn't upgrade the stone. I find that the upgarded stone makes a big difference, but at the same time, spending the money inside the house makes a bigger difference.

Has anyone seen the model that just opened in Richmond? We checked it out last week and it looks really good. It was good to see since they have the same kitchen and staircase that we'll be going for.
Old 2010-08-29, 12:24 AM
Regular User

Dunky...which model do they have in Richmond?
Old 2010-08-29, 01:34 AM
Regular User

It's the Mckinley I think, it's worth the drive
Old 2010-08-29, 12:40 PM
Regular User

Does anyone have the address? We wouldn't mind taking a drive to check it out today.
Old 2010-08-30, 04:41 PM
Regular User

I peeked through the front door window of the Berkshire model under construction yesterday (illegally I know)...it seems the me that the front entrance\foyer is tiny...like smaller than my current townhouse's foyer...I wonder if there's anything that can be done about extending the face of the building a couple of feet?

All I can do is ask I suppose...is anyone else concerned? thoughts? Cheers,
Old 2010-08-30, 08:38 PM
Regular User

Hey Jer, have you been in the house yet? Just go by and the sales centre will take you in. My first impression was that the immediate entryway was a little small as well, but once I actually got in and walk around, it didn't seem that small to me. The entryway was actually one of the suprises about the Berkshire to me, it seemed more grand than I was expecting.
Old 2010-08-31, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Yes I finally got in there last night, finally!...scaffolding and all, it was pretty tough to judge the space in it's current state, but I'm now certain that it will be spectacular.

The great-room\kitchen\nook is open, inviting and spacious. The stairs will be the initial showcase clearly - the 'wow' factor, the mudroom actually seems to be a useful space, and the 9" ceilings upstairs is a nice touch. The upper hallway does seem a bit uninspired, but then the floorplan up there is designed to use the available sq\ft for bedrooms. It's going to be a great house.

I'll say this though, if I was about to build 25 of these things I would move the front door forward a couple of feet. I'm not holding my breath obviously, but it seems elementary since the upper floor is not affected, and to me; a house that size shouldn't feel cramped - I'm imagining if a couple couples were leaving at the same time (something I said!?) that front foyer area would be a bit awkward.

Needless to say June can't come soon enough!
Old 2010-08-31, 12:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonshire View Post
Anyone have any thoughts to share regarding the fireplace fan. To do or not to do?

I think it's about $375 to have the fan installed, including wiring. There is also the option to just get the wiring done for now in case we want to add the fan later. This option is approx $150-180(?).

Assuming the fireplace will only be used for a few mths of the year, we weren't going to bother. Plus, we don't know how loud the fan will be.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
I would highly suggest getting it. You don't have to turn it on if you don't want to...but it may be something you regret. Don't know...I read the next few comments were people don't like it, but I know my friend has no fan and I have a fan in mine and the heat output difference is night and day...My room gets hot in about 2 minutes his takes a lot longer.

Having said that it is LOUD for sure but like I said you don't have to use it right? It is dumb that its not standard though.

Almost as dumb as paying 1000$ to stain your railing or $800 for dual flush toilets when you can buy them at Home Depot for 150$. Haha...yes I've had a few "upgrade" frustrations....
Old 2010-08-31, 12:21 PM
Regular User

I was told by a few people that if you ever plan on putting your TV over the fireplace, that you'd better have the fan, or else you'll be replacing your tv regularly. Without the fan, the heat goes directly up and is no good for tv's (obviously). That's the main reason we got the fan, we're putting our tv above the fireplace, as that seems to be the only option in the Devonshire, and I would not be happy if it killed my tv!! Even without the tv, it really helps distribute the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGo View Post
I would highly suggest getting it. You don't have to turn it on if you don't want to...but it may be something you regret. Don't know...I read the next few comments were people don't like it, but I know my friend has no fan and I have a fan in mine and the heat output difference is night and day...My room gets hot in about 2 minutes his takes a lot longer.

Having said that it is LOUD for sure but like I said you don't have to use it right? It is dumb that its not standard though.

Almost as dumb as paying 1000$ to stain your railing or $800 for dual flush toilets when you can buy them at Home Depot for 150$. Haha...yes I've had a few "upgrade" frustrations....