Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-03-03, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB View Post
Hi - we are new to the forum and right now in the throes of making final decisions with Jenny for our house on Pensicola Way. We are having one heck of a time deciding on what to do with our fireplace - stone veneer or the standard tile/wood mantle, raised hearth or not, built-ins on either side or not, or something a little more custom like a cast stone surround. What has everyone tended to do?
I think the model you chose and if you are going to be mounting a tv above the fireplace would be factors that would determine what type of finishing you go with. If the fireplace is the focal point of the room and you've got the budget to do the stone from ground floor up the 2 story great room (??) then I'd say go for that. It's a pretty rich look.
Old 2008-03-03, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
Welcome DSB! Glad to see another NHS-Cardel person here!! Which lot and model did you chose?

Well we got our contract back, YEAH!!!!! So we got the email with our deadlines. Ext - March 26 and Int- May 19 ...... here we go!!!!

So many things to consider .... AHHHHH !!! Maybe you guys can help me, still waiting for Jenny to call me to book our ext appointment. Can we go ahead and book our Deslaurier & Orbital appointments now??? I assume so

To answer DSB's questions. We have a two-sided fireplace inbetween the living room and kitchen. I think we are going to do cultured stone around and a high wood mantel (very similiar to the Richmond location model).

Good luck with your selections ... Deslaurier experience was great but expensive!! Orbital experience was lengthy but it fianlly got sorted out woth a bit of prodding by Cardel ... that said I was happy with what was offered but again it was expensive!! Fireplace woes continue ... cultured stone is great but there are too many choices - ledgestone or limestone and colour galore!

We are building a Devon (watching teh progress of the model home closely) on lot 192 and will close in late fall!
Old 2008-03-03, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
I think the model you chose and if you are going to be mounting a tv above the fireplace would be factors that would determine what type of finishing you go with. If the fireplace is the focal point of the room and you've got the budget to do the stone from ground floor up the 2 story great room (??) then I'd say go for that. It's a pretty rich look.
Thanks - our main concern is that we have gone with a very contemporary kitchen (stainless steel plus the metropolitan door style in night horizon on birch). The standard fluted wood and ceramic tile mantle seems at odds with that (kitchen is open to great room). We are leaning towards something similar to the Mitchell model in Richmond but that is a contemporary shaker style ... again not sure if it would match the kitchen. Other problem is that most of our in-decision is in hindsight having already signed up for cultured stone veneer ... has anyone reversed a change order before?
Old 2008-03-03, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipticum View Post
Has anyone chosen the Energy Star package? What do people think of it? Is it worth the extra money?
We chose ES upgrade package ... where we live now our neighboor has a HRV and we do not and we have a significant problem with condensation in the winter where they do not. I am also led to believe that Cardel offers a ES package at $4800 whereas other builders may charge as much as $7000.

Also, look for ES aplliances if you are buying new ones for your house they are exempt provincial tax.

Last edited by DSB; 2008-03-03 at 05:21 PM.
Old 2008-03-03, 07:49 PM
Regular User

"has anyone reversed a change order before?"

You say you are just finishing up with the design centre so you should not have a problem reversing any change order yet. If your file isn't closed it should be fairly easy to change something.

We picked a certain style of door and then wanted to change to another so we were provided with another change order stating our new preference. The new selection was entered into the computer and the first change order was shredded. Gonzo!

Be careful though. You don't want to change something and start a snowball effect where you're going to have to start changing everything.

Meth is getting a Devon too. He has been watching that model home closely as well. I guess you guys will be in there quite a bit.
Old 2008-03-04, 12:56 AM
Regular User

With regards to the reversed change order, like Orleans said, you shouldn't have a problem at all since your still in the process; they're pretty accommodating.

I gotta give ya some props for the metropolitan door style; I really wanted something a little more contemporary, but the better half didn't and well . . . we all know how that works

Sounds like you went with the alternate side or rear fireplace option; I definitely think it's going to look pretty sweet. The fireplace isn't a focal point for us but it would have been nice if we had the budget to splurge on it Some granite or marble tile would've been a nice touch.

Did you guys end up going with the alternate kitchen/nook/coffered ceiling upgrade? That's certainly something we would have loved to have the budget for as well. Looking forward to seeing what Cardel does to their model for sure; only a couple more months for that I think.
Old 2008-03-04, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Default Busy Day Yesterday!

Well was I ever busy yesterday, booking appointments!

I have to say everyone was really great and answered all my questions. Next Tuesday we have our Ext appointment with Jenny and then the afternoon off to Deslauriers. We spoke to Myra and she was great, telling us take our time at the appointment with Jenny and she will wait for us and not to worry. I know it will be a busy day but we will get alot done. We have our appointment for Orbital booked also. Which means I have to sit down and work that budget this weekend, make sure everything is in line.

New Orleans or anyone?? Did you upgrade to that hardwood/ceramic level stuff??? No clue what the name is something mat???? To make the hardwood and ceramic the same level. Does anyone have the costs for that, approx??
Old 2008-03-04, 10:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
Well was I ever busy yesterday, booking appointments!

I have to say everyone was really great and answered all my questions. Next Tuesday we have our Ext appointment with Jenny and then the afternoon off to Deslauriers. We spoke to Myra and she was great, telling us take our time at the appointment with Jenny and she will wait for us and not to worry. I know it will be a busy day but we will get alot done. We have our appointment for Orbital booked also. Which means I have to sit down and work that budget this weekend, make sure everything is in line.

New Orleans or anyone?? Did you upgrade to that hardwood/ceramic level stuff??? No clue what the name is something mat???? To make the hardwood and ceramic the same level. Does anyone have the costs for that, approx??
Hey Swerve,

That "something mat" is called Detrimat and yes we did get it. Because of the pillars that are half on the ceramic and half on the hardwood in the Dover, it was strongly recommended that we get it otherwise the pillars would look funny because of the different heights of the flooring. I'm pretty sure it was around 1,800.00 for that upgrade. Well worth it to not have those "bumps" where the flooring changes.

The exterior appointment shouldn't take too long especially if you have an idea of what you're looking for. Maybe an hour. Deslaurier will take a few hours and that's just your first appointment. Myra is awesome and really knows her stuff. She was a pleasure to work with.

Sounds as if you guys are speeding along.

Have fun!
Old 2008-03-04, 11:35 AM
Regular User

Right after I posted that, Jenny, got back to me with the pricing of Ditramat. I wasn't even expecting the price back. We sort of casually talked about it yesterday on the phone. Wow, really good service!
Old 2008-03-05, 11:28 AM
Regular User

I have to say that I am really impressed with Jenny so far. We haven't met for our first appointment yet but we have recieved excellent service from her.