Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-03-08, 04:31 PM
Regular User

Default Automobile Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I do plan to sell my car (it's a V6 Camry) and settle for something else with better fuel-efficiency.
If you're looking into buying a hybrid-electric, I could give you loads of info and real-world experience on the Escape hybrid (good, bad and ugly).

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2008-03-09, 12:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryotter View Post
If you're looking into buying a hybrid-electric, I could give you loads of info and real-world experience on the Escape hybrid (good, bad and ugly).

Thanks otter but I think I will settle for an older Corolla or Civic, say 1996-2000, they are great for gas and pretty reliable. Definitlely good for the occasional trips Stateside or Toronto. I am not big into cars so I would never buy new cars which depreciates 15% as soon as you drive them off the lots. Not to mention the crazy weather that we have, there is really no point in having fancy cars, IMHO. It's probably one of the worst investment you can have but some people are into automobiles so that's their calls.
Old 2008-03-09, 11:33 AM
Regular User

Ah.. comes another Japanese fan!!

My time for lecture again. lol

If you are buying a car, I know why people go for Japanese. Resale value, myths that no American car can compete fuel efficiency and blah blah blah...
I did waste a lot of money in used Japanese cars. I used to think if I buy few years older Japanese car then American used car in same price, I would still save a lot on gas, and car would last long. But I end up paying a hell lot in maintance, and almost every time, I end up sending it to junk yard.

With Japanese car, sure you would get a better resale value, but tell me one thing.
Why do you want a car just for resale value? If you want resale value, invest your money in real estate, never in cars. Buy something cheaper in the first place that is good.

If you live in North America, you should rather consider the economy of the place you live in, so that you wont loose job 10 years down the road just because car manufactures shut down and that effect the economy badly.

I used to drive camry. I owned 3 camrys previously. Now I drive Ford Fusion. Trust me this car is tough. It has much better handling. When I used to drive north on 416, my camry used to shake with the wind (offcourse not real shake, it enough to make me tense.), but I never felt that way in Fusion.
Old 2008-03-09, 12:53 PM
Regular User

Muddasir, this is way off topic but I don't think you should only buy Ford and GM just because they are *made in North America*

Quite the contrary my friend, you should be aware that Ford and GM have outsourced many productions to Mexico, China, India and other places so no they are no longer *made in the good ol' USA* as far as I am concerned. If anything, they are the ones to be blamed for letting the Japanese catching up and taking over. If you can't deal with the heat, stay out of the kitchen

Same thing with Toyota and Honda, last time I checked, Toyota has a plant in Cambridge, Ontario and Honda has one in Allison, Ontario, not to mention many more down south in Tennessee and Ohio. That helps Canadian and American jobs and I will be glad to support them in that regards.

I don't buy cars because it is made in this country and that country. I think we are all pretty much sick of that patriotic rhetoric that Buzz Hargrove and his cohorts like to stir up every now and then. I bought cars based on reliability, durability, features and most important to me, our budget. I have always owned Japanese cars and have not had to spend a fortune on either buying them or fixing them up after the facts so I will just have to stick with what works for me, thank you very much.

But you want to buy other cars then I am not here to judge

Cheers!
Old 2008-03-09, 01:20 PM
Regular User

I do know that Ford and GM outsource, and Ford has technology from Mazda, Jaguar and lots of others. That makes its technology much better.

I am not against if people buy imported cars. But what I am against is people having an impression that that Toyota and Honda are the only choices. Makings its resale value much higher then North American. Monopolies are always bad for economies. I would never go for Rogers home phone no matter how much incentives they would give me just because I am against monopolies.

If you are buying a car, do comparison of features unbiasedness towards Toyota and Honda and their resale values. Yahoo autos have very good tool for comparison.

I like Toyota because of its speed pickup, which I never found anywhere else so far, Honda is good for some other things but speed pickup(its wide turns also sux but Honda always make good looking cars). I love Ford because its tough. Chevy Impala is also one of the best cars (but it is not available in 4 cylinders) Grand Pre and Grand Am are good cars too..
Old 2008-03-09, 08:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddassir View Post
Ah.. comes another Japanese fan!!

My time for lecture again. lol

If you are buying a car, I know why people go for Japanese. Resale value, myths that no American car can compete fuel efficiency and blah blah blah...
I did waste a lot of money in used Japanese cars. I used to think if I buy few years older Japanese car then American used car in same price, I would still save a lot on gas, and car would last long. But I end up paying a hell lot in maintance, and almost every time, I end up sending it to junk yard.

With Japanese car, sure you would get a better resale value, but tell me one thing.
Why do you want a car just for resale value? If you want resale value, invest your money in real estate, never in cars. Buy something cheaper in the first place that is good.

If you live in North America, you should rather consider the economy of the place you live in, so that you wont loose job 10 years down the road just because car manufactures shut down and that effect the economy badly.

I used to drive camry. I owned 3 camrys previously. Now I drive Ford Fusion. Trust me this car is tough. It has much better handling. When I used to drive north on 416, my camry used to shake with the wind (offcourse not real shake, it enough to make me tense.), but I never felt that way in Fusion.

Off topic...but from my experience when buying used is always a coin toss depending how the car was taken care of...no matter what the make of the car. Euro cars are harder & for the most part more expensive to fix. North American cars are usually simpliar to fix...
Old 2008-03-09, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryotter View Post
I'd like to hear it. I bought a 2002 Escape in January 2002. Love it. It's had some issues that were all fixed under warranty. 150000 on it now. I don't drive it near as much as I used to since I got the van.. It's been burried in snow for the last week.. But I love it and look forward to driving it over the van any day.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-03-09, 09:12 PM
Regular User

I went looking for an escape a few weeks ago XLT V6 4X4 they are selling for a good price compared to imports, fully loaded was approx 25K plus pdi tax slightly over 30K on the road.

didn't end up picking one up as i still have to close the house in April.
Old 2008-03-09, 10:10 PM
Regular User

Many people buy Toyota and Honda because these two companies have proven themselves to be the best car companies over the last 20 years. Everytime I want to buy a car, those are the first two companies that I look at. They are my benchmark. Then I look at other companies, though I can't say that domestics are ever in contention for me. My parents have driven domestics for many years, and I don't like the fit and finish on them. The reliability on them has been decent though for their last few cars.

On my last car, however, I did deviate from Honda/Toyota and bought a Mazda3. Haven't regretted it for one second.
Old 2008-03-09, 11:34 PM
Regular User

Well, if you like Mazda, Ford owns atleast 33% of Mazda in North America. And both Brands usually have same engine. E.g 4 cyl Fusion has engine of Mazda 6, while 6 cylinder Mazda 6 has engine of Ford.

I think when you mention the fit and finish issues you are definitely referring to the brand I dont like either, but I wont mention name here. But it doesn't mean all North American cars are bad.

Sure Toyota and Honda are selling there cars in the whole world. They should definitely be best, but still they are not perfect in any way. You can still like other cars based on some features, that might not be present in the others.