Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

Old 2008-04-19, 11:25 AM
Regular User

Default Upgrades

Hi,

I was just wondering, after my visit to the decor centre, why there isn't a standard price list for upgrades? I found it quite odd that they ask you to write down what you want and then they will "price it out" for you

jujubes
Old 2008-04-19, 12:00 PM
thunderbolt

The builder provides a price list that is model specific as part of your decor centre appointment. There are some options that are model specific while others are common across models.

This is common to most builders, not sure who your builder is. If you have builder and/or model specific prices in mind, this forum is a good place to ask as there are a mix of owners from various builders and models.

Post your requirements here and someone will answer you.
Old 2008-04-19, 12:03 PM
Regular User

They tell you it's because 'every house is unique and what it may cost to put an item in one house may not be the same as it would cost to put in another' (e.g. hardwood floors, different amount of floor space and coverage would yield different pricing in different houses). While that's true for some items, it's not true for all (e.g. upgraded faucets - theoretically, if they put the same upgraded faucet in two different models, it should be the same price for both).

Personally, I think it's just a psychological game they play - get you in, you end up wanting everything, you psych yourself up to have 'the perfect house' and then they hit you with the pricetag...by this point, you're already so in love with the house that you've envisioned that you're willing to spend far more than you initially thought you would.

Our philosophy was to go in and ask about EVERYTHING we thought we might even CONSIDER doing either with the builder or after delivery, got the pricing a few weeks later and then deleted upgrades from there. We also went to Home Depot to comparison shop the pricing they were giving us as compared to doing it ourselves later.

I think Mattamy has done it right. If I understand people's posts correctly, those who purchase with Mattamy get an upgrade book that is specific to the model you've purchased. I believe the upgrade book lists pricing for a good chunk of the upgrades (though maybe not all). Far better system if you ask me!

Addendum - Just realized somebody posted before me, so allow me to clarify based on the previous post - what I've posted is true of Greenpark (and I believe Treasure Hill and Starlane given that those 3 builders are run by members of the same family from what I understand).

Last edited by J&M; 2008-04-19 at 12:05 PM.
Old 2008-04-19, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the replies!

I know that some things are specific to certain models, but whatever that is, should they not just put it in print? Like J&M mentioned Mattamy does.

I can't really comment yet on the prices of things, as I'm still waiting for a "price quote" to be delivered to me, but I can't help but think that with this system, is it possible that people are getting different price quotes for the same things? If so, could it also be possibly because of how much one chooses to spend on upgrades as opposed to someone else?

Not trying to start a witch hunt or anything, but I'm thinking I'm not the only one to be wondering about this?

These are questions I will definitely be asking at my formal decor centre appointment.

jujubes
Sunnyridge Avenue
Old 2008-04-19, 04:12 PM
Regular User

I completely understand your frustration. It never even occured to me that the quotes given to people might depend on how much they 'seemed' willing to spend (or how much they asked about). I have to think though that at the end of the day, this is not only unethical, but illegal and that decor centres would be audited and pricing irregularities of this nature would be found out and stopped immediately!

Like I mentioned in my previous post, we asked about EVERYTHING that might appeal to us, even numerous things that were mutually exclusive (e.g. we got pricing for upgraded carpeting, berber, hardwood, AND laminate for all rooms on our main level that could take any of these options). Obviously we couldn't put more than one of these things in each room (and ultimately decided it wasn't worth it to spend the money on any of the choices available to us), but the decor centre didn't know any of that when we asked for the pricing. We also asked about a couple of different tile options for kitchen backsplash and bathroom floors.

If you're concerned about the decor centre 'rigging' the pricing, don't let on about what you're willing to spend (you may not even know what you're willing to spend at this point without seeing all the prices of what you're looking at). I know with us, we wanted to spend as little as possible and not upgrade a lot of things and we walked away having spent $7100 (2K of which was our bonus), it really just depends on what you ascribe value to.

I found people on this forum really helpful when trying to get an idea of what specific upgrades cost, if you've got specific questions in mind, people here are more than happy to help answer them.

Old 2008-04-20, 11:58 AM
Regular User

Hi again,

I can't help but continue to be concerned about this. For myself, I decided early on that the only upgrades I would consider doing is for the one or two standard things I just could not get past. For instance...the 4 standard cabinet choices were extremely disappointing. They "give you" hardwood flooring on the main floor, but it's one colour...one I like to describe as "barnyard beige". Ok, so I want to look into two upgrades. The rest can be done at a third of the price at a later date, so I advise people to really consider what is extremely important and what isn't, otherwise I think one may end up tacking thousands of dollars more on their mortgage.

One of the people at the centre told me "Well, if you go with maple flooring you simply must go with a maple staircase". To the tune of what I'm wondering, so I asked for a price quote out of curiosity but I already know to expect a ridiculous figure back. I also inquired as to how much for "Euro pickets" which I know for a fact are $11.00 each.

Just a word to the wise. Home Depot, other building stores and do it yourself books can become your best friends over the years. I guess it's a question of how bad you want something and how fast you think you need it. Going with all the upgrades through the builder is an all too often non-affordable luxury to tread carefully. I've known too many others where it came back to bite them in the behind later on.

If anyone wants to message me, I'd be happy to share my findings!

Cheers,

jujubes

Last edited by jujubes; 2008-06-21 at 06:20 PM.
Old 2008-04-27, 11:11 AM
Regular User

Decor pricing is simple : [market price] * 2
I am in doubt that they adjust it bases on what you can pay.

Also consider that you can do UP-grade and DOWN-grade. For instance if you get a quote to put a hardwood for entire house that cost you less than to upgrade the color on the first floor, ask them not to install the hardwood and take a credit for it, spend it on something else.
Old 2008-04-28, 02:26 PM
Regular User

Before we went to the decore centre my brother in law bought a house a couple of houses down from us (their house is alot bigger mind you)
they told us they were going to get the rough in for the bathroom in the basement but decided $345 was to much.
A few days later we went in for our appointment and I told the lady we were going to have tenants in out basement....were quoted $640 for the rough in in the basement for the bathroom.

We both bought with starlane and both have primroses...and his house is bigger and mine is smaller, but i was quoted alot more.

you decide if they quote you on what your willing to spend

Old 2008-04-29, 10:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Moji View Post
Before we went to the decore centre my brother in law bought a house a couple of houses down from us (their house is alot bigger mind you)
they told us they were going to get the rough in for the bathroom in the basement but decided $345 was to much.
A few days later we went in for our appointment and I told the lady we were going to have tenants in out basement....were quoted $640 for the rough in in the basement for the bathroom.

We both bought with starlane and both have primroses...and his house is bigger and mine is smaller, but i was quoted alot more.

you decide if they quote you on what your willing to spend

How interesting is that???

This is what I was saying in previous posts.

Just out of curiosity...did you address it at all? Ask for an explanation?

jujubes
Old 2008-04-29, 10:01 PM
Regular User

I guess because I was so busy looking at all the colors and tiles and cabinets I didnt really notice until my husband pointed it out in the car after we had left

We have our next appointment in a few weeks so I'm going to bring it up and see what they say

(I'll keep everyone updated)