Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-08-29, 01:19 AM
Regular User

Default Real estate calling

I just received a phone call today from a real-estate agent asking me if we wanted to sell our house. She had a buyer that was interested. I told her I just moved in June and still unpacking.

I guess Fairwinds is going to be a sought after neighbourhood.

Jessica & Serge
Sandfield Model C
Tempest St.
Lot 151
original closing date: April 30th
revised: May 30th
newly revised: June 10th

Old 2008-08-29, 10:56 AM

I have lived in my house for years and get random calls from real estate agents all the time. I even get a calendar every year from one of them.
An agent wants to list as many houses as they can. Even if they don't sell the home (another agent sells it) they still get a cut of the commission. Having as many listings as possible is money in the bank.
Old 2008-08-29, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Depending which real-estate agent is calling you, I doubt this is some sort of scam. There are many people who are looking for a house in a specific area and will get their real estate agent to make calls. I know I've used my real estate agent to do that in the past.

Assuming you would be interested in selling, then if you have a real estate agent you would use to sell you house, just tell them to call your real estate agent (to send the offer too). If you are the type of person that would sell privately, then let them know how much commission you would pay them (2.5% for example) and let them send you the offer.
Old 2008-08-29, 11:20 AM
Administrator

It's apparently pretty common. Not sure how the marketing aspect of it works, but I am sure there is one.

I'd throw a number at them twice what I had just paid for the house.

I'd also be curious as to how they obtained your number.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-08-29, 11:31 AM
Regular User

In our last house we would get calls every week or two. Finally we got fed up and called them on it to see what was really going on. They said they had a purchaser that was interested so we said we would be happy to set-up a showing for them and to let me know who it is. They immediately changed the story saying they did not have an actual purchaser but if we are interested they would be ‘happy’ to sell our house for us . Funny thing is they called a couple months later with the same story.

I don’t know if it’s really a scam they just want to list the house because it was such a hot area for sales (more demand than supply). Or something like that.

Mike
Old 2008-08-29, 11:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedlady08 View Post
I just received a phone call today from a real-estate agent asking me if we wanted to sell our house. She had a buyer that was interested. I told her I just moved in June and still unpacking.

I guess Fairwinds is going to be a sought after neighbourhood.

I get these calls about once a month and I'm a real estate agent *laugh*

This is a way of marketing for them. They get your phone number from the phone book, 411, and companies that supply phone lists. As of September these calls are to stop due to new legislation. This is old school marketing but it works for some. I prefer mail out newsletters but that costs me about $4,000 a month.....so a phone call is sure the cheapest way to market for listings.

I have never done this type of marketing myself mainly as I hate getting calls at home by solicitors. If I do have a client that wants a specific area I will go directly to the door but this is very very rare for me as most people will then ask way too much for their house as they think they have you over a barrel.
Coldwell Banker Sarazen Realty Brokerage
Direct Phone (613)836-9660