Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-08-27, 09:04 AM

Default First Time Home Buyer - Help With Floor plan Decisions!

Hi everyone!
I am a potential first time home buyer (finally!) and am looking to buy a house. For my budget, it looks like I will only be able to buy a townhouse. I have selected a location I want to buy in, as most of my family, friends are around the area and its about 10-15 mins to work. Taking into consideration budget and location, I am down to 3 floor plans.

Wondering if I could get your opinions, thoughts on each of the floor plans and which ones work the best. Thanks everyone!

From Left to Right
1. $3K more expensive than #2, but $7K cheaper than 3, ~1685 square feet.
2. Smallest and cheaper than #3 by $10K, ~1670 square feet
3. Most expensive, ~1755 square feet including basement

#1 & #3 have 2nd floor laundry, but #2 has a separate dining area, and looks to have a better main floor plan.

FWIW - I am a single buyer with no pets. In my early 20s, so even though 2nd floor laundry nice, it's not a deal breaker if laundry is in the basement.

Thanks everyone!

Old 2019-08-27, 09:35 AM

Sent you a pm
Old 2019-08-27, 03:18 PM
Regular User

A suggestion is that you make some to scale cutouts for the furniture. This allows you to easily experiment with placement based on your expected usage.

Once your personal needs are covered, then thinking about features for resale is good. For example a second floor laundry would be a big seller for many.

These are all common layouts so you cant really make a bad choice.

Good luck.
Old 2019-08-27, 04:46 PM
Regular User

How are you planning to actually live in the home? All 3 plans have very narrow family/living rooms on the main floor. When this happens, most people tend to spend most of their time in the basement. Is this your plan also? If so, pick the plan that has the rooms that are most important to you.
Old 2019-08-27, 08:35 PM
Regular User

Finished basements in new construction homes bug me.

Once the drywall is up who knows what is wrong ? No one.

Are the ducts installed properly ? Maybe.

Are the HRV ducts installed properly ? Maybe.

Has the builder made an effort to identify foundation cracks and injected them ? likely not.

Will the utility room be laid out properly providing proper access to everything ? Maybe.
Old 2019-08-28, 10:37 AM
Regular User

If it were me - #1. It's somewhat similar to a semi-detached layout I used to live in & I liked the layout.

1. The dining space will get more natural light
2. The stairs don't land in the middle of the dining space
3. You're not losing room in your front hall closet to what looks like a mechanical run
4. Seats at your flush breakfast bar will not be impeding on your living room space
5. Laundry upstairs is so convenient
6. A little bit of an opening to the basement from the top level is always nice to have
7. The extra length on bedroom 2 is always much appreciated
8. The layout of the master bedroom means your bed head won't be immediately visible if the door is left open. It will make it feel a bit more private & separated from the other spaces.

The layout of the dining/living room might make some people nervous before seeing it in person. But take cues from open plan condos for furniture layout and styles. Rectangle dining table, longer edge going north/south. Low back love seat/couch facing the east wall. An armchair in front of the window facing south east, another armchair near the half wall facing north east.. with your entertainment unit & bookshelf along the east wall.
Old 2019-08-28, 02:32 PM
Regular User

Kitchen in 3rd plan looks sweet.
Old 2019-08-28, 09:16 PM
Regular User

I vote for number 3, 1 and 2. Since you mentioned that you are a single buyer, you may not need a dinette or dining room set and eat at the breakfast bar instead. Then you can turn the living and dining room into one great room instead. 3 and 1 have a pantry so you may want the extra storage space. You seem to get more storage with the laundry room being upstairs as well. I like storage!
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2019-08-29, 10:18 AM
Regular User

I vote 3, 1, 2.

I don't like 2 because of the wall between the island and dining room making it a walk through. On top of that, the fridge itself is very close to the island, so you can't even consider non-counter depth fridge as an option (or I wouldn't). And your hot water tank has it's own closet and is on the second floor (I've never even seen this before) and seems like wasted space. At least in floorplan 3 it's tucked into your laundry room and more or less hidden.

Is this HWT on 2nd floor a new thing? Why... lol.
Old 2019-08-29, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeThumb View Post
And your hot water tank has it's own closet and is on the second floor (I've never even seen this before) and seems like wasted space. At least in floorplan 3 it's tucked into your laundry room and more or less hidden.

Is this HWT on 2nd floor a new thing? Why... lol.
The only time I've seen a HWT on the second floor, it's been an on-demand system. This might be something to ask about as HWT's are all rentals and the rental on an on-demand system is high, as is the buy-out. Not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but nice to know up front.