Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-05-24, 01:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryotter View Post
Fingers, not sure how helpful it is to you, but we're paying 5% GST on upgrades. Our base purchase price was $329,900, and our final purchae price is about $390,000.
damn, I though we spent a lot at the decor centre.

Old 2009-09-18, 04:19 PM
Regular User

Default Kitchen Upgrade - lazy susan / folding cabinet

Hi. Does anyone have any experience / opinion on kitchen cabinet upgrades from builders particularly around lazy susan and / or corner folding cabinets? The builder prices this for over $700 for each type of upgrade. Wife's colleagues swear by their usefulness.. But at this kind of prices, I am really having a hard time justifying it. If this can only be easily done after the fact, then I would like to explore that option.
Old 2009-09-21, 12:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC3 View Post
Hi. Does anyone have any experience / opinion on kitchen cabinet upgrades from builders particularly around lazy susan and / or corner folding cabinets? The builder prices this for over $700 for each type of upgrade. Wife's colleagues swear by their usefulness.. But at this kind of prices, I am really having a hard time justifying it. If this can only be easily done after the fact, then I would like to explore that option.
I got the upper corner cabinet and not the bottom one. My decor lady actually advice me not to get the lazy susan cause it a pain to get stuff out if something fall off at the back.
Old 2009-09-21, 04:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC3 View Post
It is super easy to do afterwards and easy to find, with a $700 price point, is it made of wood and matching your kitchen cabinets? Because doing that after the fact would be much harder to find than just a wire racks sliding type version.
Old 2009-09-22, 01:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
It is super easy to do afterwards and easy to find, with a $700 price point, is it made of wood and matching your kitchen cabinets? Because doing that after the fact would be much harder to find than just a wire racks sliding type version.
Based on googling, I believe the corner folding doors (i think they call this piano type?) is the same finish as the other kitchen cabinets, but it is attached in a certain way (something like a piano type connection?) so that the kitchen cabinet doors open up (something like an accordion). Just by thinking about it, I cant see how it can be done after the fact...
Old 2009-09-22, 01:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzricezz View Post
I got the upper corner cabinet and not the bottom one. My decor lady actually advice me not to get the lazy susan cause it a pain to get stuff out if something fall off at the back.
thanks for the inputs on the lazy susan. Come to think of it, the diagonal upper corner cabinets may be a better buy..still pricey at $700 per corner. The bottom folding door must be more useful then because it creates a bigger opening to reach into the rear corner of the bottom cabinet...?
Old 2009-10-13, 07:18 PM

mattamy price for stair stain $1450 per flight. I have 4 flights (not including the one to bsmt) but each stair case is not a full flight that goes all the way to the 2nd floor, it is a short 4-7 steps to the right and then to the left. Does anyone have any idea how is 'per flight' calculated?
Old 2009-10-20, 10:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemore View Post
mattamy price for stair stain $1450 per flight. I have 4 flights (not including the one to bsmt) but each stair case is not a full flight that goes all the way to the 2nd floor, it is a short 4-7 steps to the right and then to the left. Does anyone have any idea how is 'per flight' calculated?
"Per flight" usually means a staircase from floor to floor. So unless you have a 3 or 4 story house, you probably have 1 flight of stairs if 2 story house (not incl. basement stairs).
Old 2009-11-13, 04:40 PM
Regular User

I believe i can upgrade my oak stair stand after close to match with hardwood floor.
i asked the builder and they are asking around $1000 to make darker oak stair stand.
i have fully carpeted my stairs just want to match all oak stair to hardwood floor and make it darker...
any body know how much it gonna be cost if i will do myself or contractor. or should i give money to builder for this.
Old 2009-11-23, 11:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by urvan99 View Post
I believe i can upgrade my oak stair stand after close to match with hardwood floor.
i asked the builder and they are asking around $1000 to make darker oak stair stand.
i have fully carpeted my stairs just want to match all oak stair to hardwood floor and make it darker...
any body know how much it gonna be cost if i will do myself or contractor. or should i give money to builder for this.
So you will have carpet on the stairs & you just want to stain the pickets & hand rails? If so, try asking the builder if they can leave it unfinished (no varnish).
You can easily do it yourself if they are unfinished. All you need is a matching stain, fine sand paper, varnish & lots of patience.