Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-02-08, 04:44 PM
Regular User

Default A few questions about building...

Does anyone know....

1) I thought on most new homes they used tar paper or put tar on the outside walls of the foundation to seal it...this hasn't happened on my block or any of the others in the subdivision - is this not done anymore?

2) I am in mattamy villagetown. I am trying to figure out how/why they insulate the foundation the way they do. My foundation is in two parts - the garage part and the entrance / laundry room part. I am not an end unit so share walls on three sides. The only places they have put insulation is on half the back wall (entrance half), half the front wall (entrance half) and on the wall between my two halves. There is no insulation in the foundation of the garage at all and none on the one the side of the entrance half that I share with the unit next too me... Can anyone explain why so little insulation?

3) Does anyone know who oversees the building process at Mattamy - no one was aware of the crack in my foundation..who would normally notice things like that? Is there someone who oversees all the various trades and work that is contracted out to make sure it has been done properly? I know there are building inspections at various points but I also know ALOT can get missed or is built over and not seen by the inspectors. The only name Mattamy has given me so far contact wise is the care coordinator and I doubt he is out at the site. Also he doesn't return emails for weeks if at all so getting info that way is very limited. My invite to Mattamy U was 'lost in the mail' so its possible some of this was answered there. I know there is a builder...what is his role?

Thanks!
Old 2009-02-08, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Call the construction office. The number's on the website in the Contact us section.
Delayed Closing: June 11th 08
Amended Closing: January 7th 09
Amended Amended Closing: March 18th 2009

Old 2009-02-08, 09:25 PM
Regular User

1. They don't use tar on basement walls much anymore. Most builders will install a waterproof membrane all around the outside...excluding garage and entrance.

2. Why would you need insualtion on the foundation of the garage? It is not liveable space.
Old 2009-02-08, 11:48 PM
Regular User

Thanks!

Someone had asked me if it was tarred and I said no and they seemed shocked so I thought I'd better check! Although it doesn't appear to have a waterproof membrane around it either.

Insulating..it just seemed strange that a few walls were insulated and others not - maybe that is perfectly normal..I get not insluating the garage but why only parts of the other half?

I'll did speak with someone at the construction office - he was great. I'm just not sure who does what. Who oversees what...
Old 2009-02-09, 09:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecado View Post
Thanks!

Someone had asked me if it was tarred and I said no and they seemed shocked so I thought I'd better check! Although it doesn't appear to have a waterproof membrane around it either.

Insulating..it just seemed strange that a few walls were insulated and others not - maybe that is perfectly normal..I get not insluating the garage but why only parts of the other half?

I'll did speak with someone at the construction office - he was great. I'm just not sure who does what. Who oversees what...
jecado, you have no basement and the house is 100% above ground level. I suspect that this plays a factor in the need to apply tar paper or waterproofing membrane. With the concrete only supporting the house I do not think water penetration is a concern but I could be wrong.

If you had a basement then they need to make sure that there is waterproofing as without it you'd have a higher chance of water seepage.
Old 2009-02-09, 09:31 AM
Regular User

Thanks rgauvin - I learn as I go!

Do you think the cracks in the cement foundation are less important as well as there is no basement - nowhere really for water to leak into?

One more question...I notice there is wet hay all over the site and even mixed into the gravel they filled the foundation with. Do they remove this before they build? I have really bad allergies, and hay is a big one and if there is mouldey or wet hay anywhere in my house I'm worried I'll react to it.