Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-01-15, 07:00 AM
Regular User

Default Letter fromCricket Home Comfort litigation counsel sign water heater rental agreement

I recently received letter from legal counsel of Cricket Home Comfort to sign the rental agreement for the water heater. They had previously sent me the forms to sign which I did not, though I am paying their rental fee through Enbridge. The form supposedly allows them to service the water heater pursuant to the warranty.
Has anyone else who has not signed the rental agreement received such a letter from their legal counsel?
Old 2018-01-15, 02:12 PM
Regular User

Unfortunate that they would now lean on their counsel to try to bully homeowners into signing the agreement.

Are you able to post a scan of letter ? With your info removed of course
Old 2018-01-15, 08:20 PM
Regular User

The fact that you've paying their rental fee without dispute may deem you to have accepted the terms of their agreement anyways.

What's the reason you haven't signed it?
Old 2018-01-16, 06:50 AM
Regular User

I don't mind paying the rental fee and let them deem I signed the agreement. Why I don't want to sign is for a few reasons. I feel that water heater rentals are unjustly imposed on home buyers in Ontario. Other provinces do not have this. Soon they might even have the furnace, aircondition and fireplace on rental! I would not be surprised. The point is what do they do for the rental fee for $26/month? they do not even provide an annual service of the equipment. It is just a money making company created with the assistance of builders. To remove it you have to pay more that twice the cost of a new tank from Home Depot. They talk about warranty in the letter, though nothing mentioned in the agreement, the agreement is more about you signing their right to have a lean on your property. Just my take. Others may think I am making a big deal of it, but I think home owners should push back against these bullying tactics. My lawyer says I am not obligated to sign an agreement coming from Cricket. Lets see where this goes. I am trying to figure out how to post their letter
Old 2018-01-16, 07:43 AM
Regular User

Barrister & Solicitor

December , 2017

Delivered via mail

RE: CRICKET HOME COMFORT INC.

Dear

I am litigation counsel to Cricket Home Comfort Inc., (hereinafter “Cricket Comfort").

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Cricket Comfortasyour rental water heating equipment service provider. We are proud to welcome satisfied clientele and look forward to many years of working together.

Our records indicate that we have not received a signed copy of the Rental Agreement. In order for Cricket to service your Hot Water Heater pursuant to the warranty a Rental Agreement must be executed. We have included a copy of the Rental Agreement,please sign and date the Rental Agreement and returning the pre-paid envelope provided and send it to Cricket Comfort located at 20 Floral Parkway, Concord, ON Canada L4K 4R1 Attention: Customer Care Department.

If you have any questions about the rental water heating equipment or service, we invite you to Call Customer Care at 1-855-353-2576 or email us at customercare@cricketcomfort.com and We will be happy to assist you.

Barrister& Solicitor

20 Floral Parkway Concord Ontario L4K 4R1 WWW.CricketComfort.com
Old 2018-01-18, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Seems like a stock letter they likely send out to anyone in your situation (which I hope is often since people really should be pushing back against this bullying). I wouldn’t be too concerned with this, I’d call their implied bluff and tell them to come pick up their tank from your /garage once the installer for the new tank puts it there
Old 2018-02-09, 08:02 AM
Regular User

Since you are not planning to sign their agreement, are you planning on installing your own? Curious to know why you’re still renting from them.
Old 2018-02-09, 11:07 AM
Regular User

We are on month 11 since closing, we have tankless water heater on rental & we never signed any contract/agreement for it but I think it is deemed since its part of the package in the sales agreement with the builder (please correct me if my assumption is wrong). Right on day one the builder's sales office had told us that we had no option to "not have" the rental water heater. It was one of those situations: if you don't want the water heater then don't buy the house from us...... We had visited almost all the other builders (well, those that we actually could afford) but no use.
I have been following the posts here, there are few others on the same topic. We are still contemplating how to switch without having a huge legal headache.
Thanks everyone for sharing their experience here.

Last edited by OttawaG; 2018-02-09 at 11:09 AM.
Old 2018-02-09, 04:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
We are on month 11 since closing, we have tankless water heater on rental & we never signed any contract/agreement for it but I think it is deemed since its part of the package in the sales agreement with the builder (please correct me if my assumption is wrong). Right on day one the builder's sales office had told us that we had no option to "not have" the rental water heater. It was one of those situations: if you don't want the water heater then don't buy the house from us...... We had visited almost all the other builders (well, those that we actually could afford) but no use.
I have been following the posts here, there are few others on the same topic. We are still contemplating how to switch without having a huge legal headache.
Thanks everyone for sharing their experience here.
I agree with you, I went to Mattamy and Tartan and both mentioned I have to accept the rental cost, which include in the enbridge bill. I have asked couple of my friends and most of them said rental is better in term if anything could happen they’re obligated to fix it. But if I buy it, then I’m in the hook for whatever it might happens. Does it make sense?
Old 2018-02-09, 05:38 PM
Regular User

"But if I buy it, then I’m in the hook for whatever it might happens."

If that is the case, why not have the furnace, fireplace, air-condition, fridge washing machine also on rental? These items are even more expensive. Everything breaks down but not immediately. If it does, you are covered by warranty. If it is too old, then you should have the cash to go to Home Depot and replace it just people replace washing machines, fridge etc. In fact replacing the water heater would cost you far less. Its all a scare tactic to keep these shell companies in business when they in fact provide nothing other than collect their rental fee which is pure profit. They probably buy these heaters in bulk for $400 or less. Water heaters last a min of 10 years or more without anything happening.