Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-09-19, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Cool Hardwood throughout the house - Cost

Hey Everyone,

We just bought our first home. It's very exciting to be moving back to Ottawa from Toronto. (Fairwinds in Kanata with Mattamy)

We bought the Queencliffe Corner with the wraparound porch, Elevation A and it's closing on April 1st, 2008.

I want to put hardwood throughout the house, except for the kitchen, entrance, laundry and bathrooms where we'll probably put ceramic tiles. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have a ballpark figure as to what this could cost us?

Last edited by Nanners; 2007-09-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 2007-09-19, 04:21 PM
Regular User

Expect to pay $12-15 per square foot, depending on the grade of hardwood you select and if you want any premium stains.

If you have the cash up front and are willing to put up with a renovation, you could easily do it for half that, after you move in.
Old 2007-09-19, 04:33 PM
Regular User

Thanks! That helps!
Old 2007-09-20, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Hi there!

I'm not sure of the square footage of your home, but we hard wooded the main floor of my house and it came to $9017 (Birch wood). We did the dining room (12'2"x11'6"), den (11'x10'), main room (15'x16'), breakfast area (11'9"x8') and kitchen (11'9"x8').

We put ceramic tiles in all the bathrooms, garage entry, and laundry room and that came to $1236 (standard tile selection).

We knew it would be cheaper to get the hard wood done after closing but we wanted everything to be finished upon moving and to be under the warranty.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 2007-09-20, 09:36 AM
Regular User

Hi Misha_Nikki!

Thanks for that info! We bought a Mattamy Queencliffe Corner, Elevation A at the Fairwinds in Kanata.

Here's the updated floorplan. I used the design option on their site but I could only choose the floorplan with Barhaven Moon Bay. NOTE: We did not buy a house there. We bought a house in Kanata at the Fairwinds. We also didn't get the extra bedroom, we stuck with 3 bedrooms.

Looking at the updated floorplan, here are the dimensions of the rooms we need to put hardwood in:

Family Room: 12' X 16' 7"
Formal Room: 10' X 12' 10"
Den: 7' 8" X 11' 5"
Master Bedroom: 13' X 15' 3"
Bedroom #2: 9' 6" X 12'
Bedroom #3: 9' 10" X 13'

We also need to do the upstairs hallway and stairs but there's no square footage listed on the floorplan.

I'm afraid at the thought of how much this will cost us but we don't really have a choice as I have severe allergies.
Old 2007-09-20, 10:08 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Looks like you will have about 1,000 sq. ft. of hardwood (incl. hallway), so if you decide to go with the builder for the hardwood it will be more expensive than if you do it after closing. So if you get someone to do it for $10 ft. than you are looking at $10,000...

Hope this helps

Last edited by patrob; 2007-09-20 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2007-09-20, 11:34 AM
Regular User

Nanners,

Have you considered delaying your move-in date after closing to get someone else other than the builder to install hardwood for you? Mattamy charges about $12/sq ft minimum (for standard selection, upgrade is extra on top of this) so for a whole house it would cost $20K - $30K for both floors. If you get someone else to do it right after closing it could save you as much as half that with a bit of inconvenience for a few days. You could even find out who does the installation for the builder and hire them afterwards, it would be the same but without the extra mark-up from the builder. For a saving of tens of $1000s and a few days delay, it's certainly a worthwhile option. I delayed moving in to get some ceramic tiles installed and I was both pleased and glad to do it since there was no way the builder "would" do what I wanted and charge much more .

Our neighbour just got his hardwood floor done from an installer for a very (I mean very) reasonable cost and the work is nicely done. For the price that he charges, I might even hire him myself even though I know how to do it well also . You can find out where to get the wood you want then arrange to have him install it.
Old 2007-09-20, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
Mattamy charges about $12/sq ft minimum (for standard selection, upgrade is extra on top of this) so for a whole house it would cost $20K - $30K for both floors.
In Nanners case it's only about 1,000 sq. ft. & even at $12 sq. ft. it would still cost $12,000 not $20K - $30K...

Plus don't forget the standard carpet that you are getting from the builder, you can remove it when doing hardwood after closing & use it in the basement for example.....builder's DO NOT credit for the carpet...so you are technically paying more than just $12 sq. ft., since carpet is already paid for when you bought the house

Much better to do it after & I should know, since my husband does this for a living
Old 2007-09-20, 12:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
In Nanners case it's only about 1,000 sq. ft. & even at $12 sq. ft. it would still cost $12,000 not $20K - $30K...
Right, patrob, and thank you for the correction . You already did the calculations and I missed it. Maybe I was thinking of the cost for MY house .

The other indirect saving that you get if you decide to get any upgrade done after closing is the property tax that you pay based on the total purchase price that a lot of people "forget". Just imagine paying the GST on your upgrade from the builder and then the property tax on top of your builder cost every year. So the "real" cost of the upgrade = $12000+GST compounded annually. Sorry I don't mean to worry you , just pointing out the fact. Of course you will choose what you want to do.
Old 2007-09-20, 12:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
The other indirect saving that you get if you decide to get any upgrade done after closing is the property tax that you pay based on the total purchase price
...as well as Land Transfer Tax on the additional amount. It would only add about ~$100, but still.