Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-03-12, 12:11 PM
Regular User

Default 'Popping' noise

Over the past few months we have started hearing what appears to be a popping noise in our house. It goes off about once every hour or so and appears to be louder when you are on the second floor. It sounds like a 'pop' and then goes quiet. Does anyone know what might be causing this? We do not use our gas fireplace.
Old 2010-03-12, 12:38 PM
Regular User

I would imagine you are just hearing the normal settling in of your home as wood/studs shift (expand and contract) and nails popping.

We ocassionally hear the same types of noises.

I believe it is all rather normal for a new home (especially when going through the first full round of seasons).
Old 2010-03-12, 01:16 PM
Regular User

we have the same sound.

I think it has something to do with the furnace pumping air through the vents. I think the popping sound is the vents somehow adjusting.
Old 2010-03-12, 05:01 PM
Regular User

We have the same thing, but it's once every 10 seconds. Literally. Maybe it only happens in the evening because that's when I notice it most, but I am at work during the day so who knows.

I pinpointed it last night. It is coming from our basement from the white (sewage?) pipes or the wooden bracing it's resting on. It has nothing to do with venting as far as I can tell. Kinda concerns me since we've asked twice (and was on our 30 day) to have something in writing confirming our house is not overspan in the basement. I only say it concerns me because I don't like the idea of the supports holding up our main floor creaking and cracking every 10 seconds.

Hopefully the hubby will look at it with me over the weekend
Old 2010-03-12, 05:52 PM
Regular User

white is usually used for water heater and furnace venting, but either way, it could be minor expansion of the pipe when heated. try slipping some wax paper between the pipe and the wood and see if that stops the noise.
Old 2010-03-12, 09:01 PM
Regular User

Default Us too

We have the same thing but it is coming from some where in the kitchen ceiling. Driving me nuts. I have no idea what it can be, Not water or the ceiling would have fallen by now. I tried shifting the vents but no luck.
Old 2010-03-12, 10:34 PM
Regular User

Kitchen ceiling could be hvac ducts heating up and cooling down. Does it happen consistently or just when the furnace has just turned on or off?
Old 2010-03-13, 08:44 PM
Regular User

Default Noise

I only seem to notice it in the evenings. Started before heating season. i am in Florida for the winter but our daughter is using the house. Like me they say it is driving them nuts.
Old 2010-03-15, 12:05 PM
Regular User

It is more audible in the evening but it happens througout the day too. It almost seems like it is pressure that builds up and then somethig pops, not sure what though.
Old 2010-03-15, 03:04 PM
Regular User

I believe I have the same issue. Its the expanding and contraction of the hvac when the heat is on. Mine's between the first and second floor, so no real way to access it.

Builder says its normal.... not sure how that would be normal.... normal is no noise, having a noise is not normal...