Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-11-22, 07:18 PM
Regular User

Default Soho West - Phoenix Homes.

Has anyone heard anything good/bad concerning soho west in kanata or phoenix townhomes in general?

Last edited by sohowest; 2007-11-24 at 12:37 PM.
Old 2007-11-23, 11:42 AM
Regular User

They have a great set up their...Phoenix always generally has pretty good floor plans and the price is really reasonable.

You get Granite counter tops, granite floor in the foyer/powder room. I think they offer hardwood floors as well in the dining/living rooms. They also offer a finished basement version for 10K more. They offer lots of options in those towns and linked single (attached only at the garage).

The only down side is maybe their quality and generally they delay all of their closing dates. From what I heard, most of the closing dates are Dec '08...long wait but decent location as easy access to bells corners, stittsville and barrhaven...
Old 2007-11-23, 12:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA28 View Post
The only down side is maybe their quality
Isn't that a rather big downside?

I can't speak for or against them so I won't even try, but as you've said, lots have complained about them. Just search the forums (and be sure to spell "Phoenix" right )
Old 2007-11-23, 12:44 PM
Regular User

Yes, I also have heard bad things about them through this forum and other friends.

In my opinion, the 2 worst things I could hear about a builder is that they usually don't close on time (delays) and that their quality is poor...
Old 2007-11-23, 01:37 PM

In all honesty I don't think anyone would buy a house from any builder in Ottawa after reading some of the post on this forum ...Phoenix is probably no better or worse then any of the other builders...they do sound like they have a problem with closing on time....but so does Mattamy, Minto, ect...
so we are not considering them for that reason...but its not a home quality issue...more of a site mangement one i guess
Old 2007-11-23, 02:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Looking View Post
In all honesty I don't think anyone would buy a house from any builder in Ottawa after reading some of the post on this forum

Haha! How true when you put it that way!

I heard that Phoenix was sued for something...can never be good! That's the first I heard of a lawsuit involving an owner and a builder. But I'm sure there are many stories out there that I don't know of!
Old 2007-11-23, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha_Nikki View Post
Haha! How true when you put it that way!

I heard that Phoenix was sued for something...can never be good! That's the first I heard of a lawsuit involving an owner and a builder. But I'm sure there are many stories out there that I don't know of!
its funny you mention that...we had heard that as well, so when we visited their model home in Barrhaven we asked about that...the sales lady told us that it was before her time, so hearsay, but I guess the guy started a website bashing them, so they took away his lot...they figured if he was so unhappy before they even started to build his house, that he would never be happy...he must of been upset for a reason though!
Old 2007-11-23, 03:19 PM
Regular User

Run away as fast as you can!! Trust me on this I live in an area where they build I have seen how fast and how they build and treat people, Don't walk but run!!! Save yourself time and the hassle as well as you're money.
Old 2007-11-23, 03:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
its funny you mention that...we had heard that as well, so when we visited their model home in Barrhaven we asked about that...the sales lady told us that it was before her time, so hearsay, but I guess the guy started a website bashing them, so they took away his lot...they figured if he was so unhappy before they even started to build his house, that he would never be happy...he must of been upset for a reason though!
Hmmmm...That is very interesting! I somehow find it hard to believe that they would take away his lot after he started a website bashing them. Doesn't make sense but we never will know I guess!!
Old 2007-11-23, 05:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
If it's the same guy we are talking about, i did touch base with him for some feedback early on in our house-hunting quest.

I found him through the newsgroup, i don't remember all the details but he told me he went with another builder after all is said and done.

I never consider Phoenix seeing all the negativity surrounding it, they probably have some good stuff but being a first-time home owner, I don't have the time nor the energy and the resources to go through the troubles other people have gone through.

My $0.02