Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-10-25, 06:39 PM

Default Loft vs 4th bedroom

Hi
We got Parkside from Mattamy on Half Moon Bay. The issue is that we can't decide to go for loft or 4th (bedroom + WIC + small En-suite). I have two kids so master bedroom and two other bedroom is enough for us but we need additional bed room fro gusset. So we have tow scenarios here.

https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa/comm.../parkside.aspx

1- 3 bedrooms second floor + 2 bedrooms and recreation area on the basement
2- Four bedrooms on the second floor no loft and one additional bedroom on the basement.

So how those tow option do you thing gonna affect the resale price of the house, and I never lived in a house with a basement so I'm not sure how it feel to have a bed room on the basement.

Thank you.

Also mattamy provide R6 isolation for the garage door for about 1200$ and Is this worth it.

Thank you

Last edited by HomeDream; 2019-10-25 at 07:27 PM.
Old 2019-10-25, 08:19 PM
Regular User

I would choose the 4 bed option.

The 3 bed with loft is nice in that it creates an open space at the top of the stairs. But you lose a bathroom and closet with this option. And what do you do with the loft area? You can turn it into a tv area for the kids - but it isn't that big. May be better suited for a study area for the kids, but I would think most kids would rather study in their bedrooms. And with a den on the first floor, you most likely won't need another area for a computer.

You have 2 options with guests and the 4 bed. You can leave the bed at the top of the stairs with its ensuite as a guest room so that guests have the privacy of their own bathroom. Or, if guests don't visit that often, use this bed for the kids so each kid has their own bathroom and the guests can simply use the spare room and share bath2. At 14.5' wide, this room is large enough for a queen bed and a comfy chair.

As you are concerned about resale value - 4 beds typically command a higher price than 3 bed homes.
Old 2019-10-28, 10:43 AM

Definitely extra bedroom for better resale. I think every bedroom adds $xxk to your future resale. And you can't just convert a loft into a bedroom very easily yourself in the future so do it now