Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-03-28, 02:21 PM
Regular User

Question unfinished basement flooring-HELP!

I have read and heard many many stories about "sealing" cement basement flooring.

Our house is in the finishing stage and we move in June 2nd. (Which means our basement would have 3 months to "cure") I have read about the Wellbond/water mixture and I have visited Lowes Home Store.

I am getting mixed messages about what to do and when to do it.

Right now at Lowes they have a HUGE sale/clearance on some sealing urethane (high gloss stuff). The gentleman told us to first etch the cement (which will make it look like it is bubbling)....then to wait until the floor is completely dry before applying the sealant.

Feedback on WHEN you sealed and WHAT you used would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2010-03-28, 07:26 PM
Regular User

I hear from these forums that the Weldbond works well for keeping the dust down and you won't have to strip it when you do your basement flooring.

I'd stay away from concrete sealers though unless you don't plan on finishing your basement. When you do ceramic tiles or any other flooring that has to "stick" to the floor..things like concrete sealer and basement floor paint won't allow your flooring choice to properly adhere to the basement floor.

I learned from experience on our first house. I used a good quality basement floor paint on the floor of our first house and was told years later when I wanted to put ceramic tiles down that I'd have to sand off or chemically strip the painted finish off first or the tiles would not adhere to the floor. That was a job I hope never to have to repeat.
Old 2010-03-28, 07:54 PM
Administrator

I painted my basement floor the week I moved in. I just used whatever was labelled "concrete floor paint" from Rona or something at the time. Over the course of the 3 years I was there, a was a little bit flaked here and there, but that's probably more to the fact that I didn't have to floor perfectly clean when I painted it.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-03-29, 10:42 AM
Regular User

Keep in mind that anything labeled High gloss will most likely be slippery. The Higher the gloss the more slippery it will be if it gets wet or damp.
Old 2010-03-29, 10:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I painted my basement floor the week I moved in. I just used whatever was labelled "concrete floor paint" from Rona or something at the time. Over the course of the 3 years I was there, a was a little bit flaked here and there, but that's probably more to the fact that I didn't have to floor perfectly clean when I painted it.
I did the same thing in the first week we moved in! It makes the basement MUCH more presentable (although unfinished) and you can walk downstairs without having to worry about collecting dusk on your socks/slippers

TIP: Also paint the cellar/cantina/cold room!
Old 2010-03-29, 10:51 AM
Regular User

I take it this is ok with the builder and doesn't affect Tarion warranty at all, correct?
Old 2010-03-29, 11:00 AM
Regular User

I was thinking of doing RubbeRock in my basement. Its a rubber floor covering installed (normally on a concrete patio) I saw them at the Newmarket Home show on Sunday and was talking to the guy. he said it works well in the basement, warmer floor, softer to walk on and no wet or dampness issues.
Old 2010-03-29, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djBern View Post
I take it this is ok with the builder and doesn't affect Tarion warranty at all, correct?
Why would it?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-03-29, 10:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Why would it?
Just asking.

We have a walkout basement so we plan to do a lot of entertaining down there. If I can apply a nice clean coating and not have to worry about warranty then I'm inclined to do so.
Old 2010-03-29, 11:18 PM
Regular User

Doesn't sealing the basement prevent the concrete from curing properly?