Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2011-01-09, 10:27 AM
Regular User

Question Powder room?

Just wondering if anyone has done anything interesting with their main floor powder room? Right now our's is just the typical white pedestal sink, builder beige walls, and ugly vanity light -- and I want to do something more exciting.

I came across this vanity and thought it was pretty neat. Opinions? I just am concerned about resale value and whether or not it is too "trendy" for everyone's taste (although we don't plan on moving for probably at least 5 years). Or should I just play it safe and keep the pedestal sink, but just paint and update the light fixture?

If anyone has any pictures of their own powder room for inspiration I'd be interested in seeing!
Old 2011-01-09, 11:42 AM
Regular User

You'll always find 50% loving it and 50% not. It is only a small powder room. Do what you want now. Enjoy it. Then for very minimal $$ you can change it for re-sale. Thats what I do. I would donate the excess building supplies to Habitat for Humanity.
Old 2011-01-09, 11:43 AM
Regular User

If you like it...then buy it! Who cares what the Jones' think. A pedestal sink won't make or break selling your home.
Just my opinion
Old 2011-01-09, 03:12 PM
Regular User

Take the price tag off.
Old 2011-01-09, 04:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole czarina View Post
Just wondering if anyone has done anything interesting with their main floor powder room? Right now our's is just the typical white pedestal sink, builder beige walls, and ugly vanity light -- and I want to do something more exciting.

I came across this vanity and thought it was pretty neat. Opinions? I just am concerned about resale value and whether or not it is too "trendy" for everyone's taste (although we don't plan on moving for probably at least 5 years). Or should I just play it safe and keep the pedestal sink, but just paint and update the light fixture?

If anyone has any pictures of their own powder room for inspiration I'd be interested in seeing!
We upgraded our powder room to a 3-piece and also changed the pedestal sink to cabinetry. My reason for changing the pedestal sink was to get more counter space and storage underneath. I do like this vanity because of the extra storage space- that is if there's enough space underneath since I like to keep extra toilet paper- paper towels. Check my link below of model homes for bathrooms with just the pedestal sink. BTW. I do like the look of pedestal sinks- maybe check if you can get a nicer looking one instead?

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2011-01-10, 07:20 AM
Regular User

We also upgraded our powder room through the builder (you know who you are) to include a vanity. Now that we have done it, we hate it...not the colour - just the quality. We'll be probably paying our kitchen company to put in a new vanity while they're here. The worse part is, I'll probably have it replaced before the PDI items concerning the vanity (missing trim work) are completed.
Old 2011-01-10, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb & peter View Post
Take the price tag off.
The picture was taken at the store, but thanks.

Waikiki, thanks for the link. I love looking at model home pictures. I think I have decided to keep the pedestal sink for now, and just paint and decorate for now, until I find a new vanity that I really love.
Old 2011-01-10, 03:53 PM
Regular User

We had a standard pedestal sink in our previous house & I always missed having extra storage space for towels, toilet paper, etc.
In our new house we went with a modern dark vanity & I love the look plus all the extra storage it offers!

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=7831
Old 2011-01-10, 03:56 PM
Regular User

That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I've browsed the Art Bathe website before and they have some really nice stuff!
Old 2011-01-11, 10:29 AM
Regular User

The only thing I will comment about, having worked in the kitchen and bath industry for 15 years, stay away from an all in one unit that has a unique shaped cultured marble top. If, and when, the top starts developing spider cracks around the drain, you will be very limited in finding a replacement top, if you can get one at all that will fit. Look for a top that will stand the test of time... ie. a porcelain or glass sink.