Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-06-17, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Question Powder Room Lighting Question

We have a small powder room with a standard oval builder's mirror. The wall with the mirror is about 3' wide. If the only source of light is a single sconce, assuming the same wattage would an uplight, or a downlight that hangs past the edge of the mirror be more suitable? Example fixture pics attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Troy-Bentley.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	2188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harrison.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2189  
Old 2008-06-18, 02:13 AM
Regular User

I like the first one
Old 2008-06-18, 12:20 PM
Regular User

For a single light fixture, I like the second one more! To me it seems more of a standalone light (if I'm making any sense ). For the first one, it's beautiful too but in my head I can't picture it to be just by itself.
Old 2008-06-18, 12:26 PM
Regular User

I think having a light that pointed towards the ceiling (like the first one) would provide the brightest option... the light would be able to bounce off the ceiling better and provide more light.
Old 2008-06-18, 02:45 PM
Regular User

uplight would be more suited to a CFL bulb - more light and less heat, and cfl bulbs work better in an uplight position.

did the builder install a fixture box or a striplight? we paid our builder for fixture boxes, and when they eventually did put them in, they weren't centred...
Old 2008-06-18, 02:55 PM
Regular User

They installed a keyless light (centred). There's nothing worse than buying a fixture and discovering your box is not where it should be.
Old 2008-08-07, 03:18 PM
Regular User

Hi EvrGrn,

How did you end up installing your light fixture, facing up or down? We bought our own light fixtures and plan to install them tomorrow, as soon as we get our keys We bought a 2-light fixture for the powder room and think will install it facing down!
Old 2008-08-08, 11:23 AM
Regular User

We ended up going with this 2-light uplight fixture for the powder room. I can't believe how much we've spent on light fixtures and there's still more to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qi8602c.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	2668  
Old 2008-08-12, 10:28 AM
Regular User

Very nice EvrGrn! We have closed on August 8 and installed the light fixtures for ALL the bathrooms right away! We also opted for a 2-light fixture for the powder room, facing down though. Looks really nice either way I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrGrn View Post
We ended up going with this 2-light uplight fixture for the powder room. I can't believe how much we've spent on light fixtures and there's still more to go.
Old 2008-08-12, 08:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhassoun View Post
Hi EvrGrn,

How did you end up installing your light fixture, facing up or down? We bought our own light fixtures and plan to install them tomorrow, as soon as we get our keys We bought a 2-light fixture for the powder room and think will install it facing down!
Don't be surprised if there is no junction box behind the existing light. You may have to put one in.. I just went through that pain...builder just left a wire cut out in the wall going to the existing fixture.