Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2019-01-11, 05:13 PM
Regular User

Default DIY Attic Insulation top ups

Like most homes, we have blown-in fiberglass insulation in our attic. Almost in to our 3rd year and we're noticing that some rooms don't stay warm as long. Likely due to settling of insufficient insulation in the first place. So we're going to be picking up several bags of insulation and DIY with the machine rental.

When it comes to the type of insulation, there seems to be two schools of thought. You either prefer fiberglass or cellulose. Each of these has their pros & cons. I was once told by an insulation installer that cellulose over top of fiberglass is the way to go. And then others say that you shouldn't mix so if you have fiberglass than its best to top up with the same product.

What do you all suggest or recommend? I'm hoping to tackle this project this weekend (or next).

Thanks!
Old 2019-01-11, 07:13 PM
Regular User

Hi BB I have about 8 inches of cellulose over 11 inches of fiberglass. Absolutely no issues. This was inspected and endorsed as part of save energy program many years back.

Cellulose is much nicer to work with. I was the in the attic part of this 2 man team.
Old 2019-01-11, 07:19 PM
Regular User

Hang on a sec - if you are still inside the 24 month portion of tarion warranty you may have a case with the builder.
Old 2019-01-13, 04:05 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the suggestion, G2K. I’m going to pick up some of the GreenFiber from Lowe’s.
We’re well past the 24 month period so no Tarion.