Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2021-09-22, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Default would you pay $800 for smooth ceiling?

My builder is charging $800 for smooth ceiling on the second floor.
First floor already comes with smooth ceiling.
Would you get this upgrade? is it worth it?
Old 2021-09-22, 02:53 PM
Regular User

Thatís pretty cheap to be honest, and yes I would do it. Smooth ceilings look much nicer than stippled/popcorn.
Old 2021-09-22, 02:58 PM
Regular User

Just make sure to check that the ceiling is relatively even. We had a friend of ours pay a similar amount for smooth ceilings in their basement and it was awful. They had to come out and redo it twice!
Old 2021-09-22, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_bloom View Post
My builder is charging $800 for smooth ceiling on the second floor.
First floor already comes with smooth ceiling.
Would you get this upgrade? is it worth it?
Opposed to what? To "popcorn ceiling"?
In any case (IMHO)! The latter collects more dust and dirt (especially when white or in a light colour). It might cover some uneven ceiling areas and is easier to apply - this is the main reason the builders love it soooo much.
There is one very important aspect of the smooth ceiling (IMHO) which always remains "in the shadow" (pun intended). The "popcorns" create myriads of micro-shadows on the ceiling and it appears uneven and darker. The smooth one reflects light better.
If you think the price is too high, you might request an estimate for the same work (to change a "popcorn" ceiling into a smooth one) from a 3-rd party. I'm sure it will be more than this.
Or calculate the $800 as a percentage of your base price for the whole house. Is it so much?
BTW what happened with the microwave in a drawer? I remember checking your earlier posting but never had the time to reply.
Regards!

Last edited by Mitsuko; 2021-09-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 2021-09-22, 07:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
Opposed to what? To "popcorn ceiling"?
In any case (IMHO)! The latter collects more dust and dirt (especially when white or in a light colour). It might cover some uneven ceiling areas and is easier to apply - this is the main reason the builders love it soooo much.
There is one very important aspect of the smooth ceiling (IMHO) which always remains "in the shadow" (pun intended). The "popcorns" create myriads of micro-shadows on the ceiling and it appears uneven and darker. The smooth one reflects light better.
If you think the price is too high, you might request an estimate for the same work (to change a "popcorn" ceiling into a smooth one) with a 3-rd party. I'm sure it will be more than this.
Or calculate the $800 as a percentage of your base price for the whole house. Is it so much?
BTW what happened with the microwave in a drawer? I remember checking your earlier posting but never had the time to reply.
Regards!
Thanks for your inputs! I agree. I will go ahead and get this upgrade!
Yes we decided to have the MW in the island and we are told installation is not a big deal and it should be ok!