Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-11, 02:54 PM
Regular User

Default Potlights in Ottawa?

Hello all,

Does anyone know any potlight contractors that work in Ottawa? Im looking for cheap and professional like Mr. Potlight or potlights.ca
Old 2009-06-11, 11:46 PM
Regular User

We are also looking for a good potlight contractor. We have seen the work of Mr. potlight and it looks great. Please let us know if you get one

Old 2009-06-12, 04:31 AM
Regular User

Same here, please let us know if you get one too! maybe we could get a better deal together?
Old 2009-06-12, 10:14 AM
Regular User

Also looking for a potlight contractor
Old 2009-11-23, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Do you guys know any good potlight contractor in Ottawa area? my builder is charge me over $250 for each. And I need like 26 potlights for my whole house.
Old 2009-11-23, 12:10 PM
Regular User

Get the builder to do the ground level pots, the 2nd floor and basement are super easy to do after closing, even DIY.

Old 2009-11-23, 12:31 PM
Regular User

I may be looking for a contractor as well. I just want to put maybe 2 above the breakfast area in the kitchen. Builder is charging $200 each, plus $130 to have it on a separate switch.

Fingers, DIY possible for a super non-handyman? Our kitchen is technically on the second floor (main floor of a 3 story townhouse)

Old 2009-11-23, 01:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst View Post
I may be looking for a contractor as well. I just want to put maybe 2 above the breakfast area in the kitchen. Builder is charging $200 each, plus $130 to have it on a separate switch.

Fingers, DIY possible for a super non-handyman? Our kitchen is technically on the second floor (main floor of a 3 story townhouse)
So long as the ceiling space is accessible from either an attic hatch, or an unfinished area. I wouldn't recommend fishing through a finished space for someone who hasn't done it before. Stucco is horribly difficult to match, and unless you've had extensive experience mudding and taping, chances are the repair work will not be as perfect as you may like.

Depends, are you comfortable enough in the attic? Are you comfortable locating and drilling through top plates? Fishing wire between floors? Adding a breaker in the panel?

Hard to say, but it depends how skilled you are/how meticulous you are about your work. If you read J.R. Knight's electrical code book, understand what you're doing and the implications of not doing it correctly, pull the proper permits, and use the appropriate techniques/materials, then I can't see why not. Legally you're allowed to do it in your own home, even without a license -- so long as you pull the ESA permit. I did my own, having minimal experience with electrical prior to.

Many times, you will have to run a new dedicated run, because the electrician likely maxed out the 12-per-branch rule on every branch in order to save $$ on wire.

I opted to have the builder install the ground floor potlights this time around. I don't want to do that again on the ground floor. But I dont mind the attic/basement ones.

Also, compare the TCO rather than "my electrician can do it for less". Find out how much the electrician charges, how much the materials are (not just the lights, but the 14-2 romex, the breakers, switch, gang box, staples, grommets), how much the permit is, how much the paint/drywall repair will be, etc etc. Electricians are busy people, they normally have a minimum site-visit charge. You will likely come out ahead, but it probably wont be much unless you're installing dozens of potlights. Builder should be charging approx $150 for uninsulated areas, and $250 for insulated areas.

Old 2009-11-23, 01:34 PM
Regular User

Since my floorplan is a bungalow with loft (around 2700 sq feet), therefore most of the pot light will be installed in insulated areas. My builder charges me around $250 each, I would like to find a contractor and see the price difference. Since I plan to install around 25 potlights in my house, we are talking about $6k for just the potlights upgrade!!!
Maybe I can just ask the builder to install one potlight in earch area and then ask the contractor to install the rest as others people suggested.
Anyway, anyone know a good potlight contractor in Ottawa? Thanks!
Old 2009-11-23, 02:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
So long as the ceiling space is accessible from either an attic hatch, or an unfinished area. I wouldn't recommend fishing through a finished space for someone who hasn't done it before. Stucco is horribly difficult to match, and unless you've had extensive experience mudding and taping, chances are the repair work will not be as perfect as you may like.

Depends, are you comfortable enough in the attic? Are you comfortable locating and drilling through top plates? Fishing wire between floors? Adding a breaker in the panel?

Hard to say, but it depends how skilled you are/how meticulous you are about your work. If you read J.R. Knight's electrical code book, understand what you're doing and the implications of not doing it correctly, pull the proper permits, and use the appropriate techniques/materials, then I can't see why not. Legally you're allowed to do it in your own home, even without a license -- so long as you pull the ESA permit. I did my own, having minimal experience with electrical prior to.

Many times, you will have to run a new dedicated run, because the electrician likely maxed out the 12-per-branch rule on every branch in order to save $$ on wire.

I opted to have the builder install the ground floor potlights this time around. I don't want to do that again on the ground floor. But I dont mind the attic/basement ones.

Also, compare the TCO rather than "my electrician can do it for less". Find out how much the electrician charges, how much the materials are (not just the lights, but the 14-2 romex, the breakers, switch, gang box, staples, grommets), how much the permit is, how much the paint/drywall repair will be, etc etc. Electricians are busy people, they normally have a minimum site-visit charge. You will likely come out ahead, but it probably wont be much unless you're installing dozens of potlights. Builder should be charging approx $150 for uninsulated areas, and $250 for insulated areas.

Thanks for the great response Fingers! But just from reading your response, it may be too big of a job for me. We may just end up getting a capped outlet there through the builder to put our own light fixture in, as its a bit cheaper than two potlights on a switch.